Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Member looking for X type Buying advice

Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts
Default UK Member looking for X type Buying advice

Hello Chaps,
I've been a member of this Forum for a while now, I am normally found in the X308 Section. I am based in Liverpool, UK.

I have driven the 1999 XJ8 4.0 I own now for 3 years, and they have been good years indeed. I love the car very much, and enjoy driving it.

However due to a number of issues I have come to the sad conclusion that I must part with my XJ8. I am 25 years old and am currently trying to save up money to buy a house with my girlfriend. I am also a classic car enthusiast and own a 71 Herald which I tow around from time to time on a trailer. In addition to this I move cars for other friends and family.

So I have come to the conclusion that the best car I can change to is: A Jaguar X Type Estate (Sportwagon) 2.0 Diesel (In Phoenix Red preferably )

I would really appreciate any pointers and things to look out for when looking at a car and test driving it. If you look back at my history on here you will see I have helped a great number of X308 owners with problems, and I look forward to joining this area of the Forum when I eventually get my X.

Thanks Guys,
Stu.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I presumed you already owned X Type and upgraded to XJ .
I think you should stick to Thermo's advices he knows a lot about these cars

Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,820 Likes on 3,141 Posts

Stu, since you are looking at the diesel variant, as I recall those do not come in AWD setup. So, most of the issues that we are familiar with do not apply to that car (between being a diesel and not having the AWD). So, if you are looking at a 2wd diesel vehicle, not much to be really worried about. Take it for a drive and make sure that there is nothing obvious with the car. Crank up the A/C and make sure it blows cold (your most likely problem with the car based on the options).

If you are getting an AWD version (as I recal, it was an option, just not use normally), then take the car out for a test drive and listen to the front end of the car. If you hear a gear whine, pass on the car. Your transfer case is about to go. Here in the US, that is a $3000 USD fix. Pretty expensive item.

The other thing that seems to be an issue is the parking aide. When you are doing your test drive, back into a spot with something behind you. You should here the beeping as you get closer. Verify it works.

Other than what I pointed out, most of the things that you are going to run into are pretty obvious issues. Give the car a good look over and all should be good.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont forget .... any ECL ( or Engine light as we say in the U.K ) when the cars running on the dash ... walk away as it can be expensive .... trust me on that one .

Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RegentV12
I presumed you already owned X Type and upgraded to XJ .
I think you should stick to Thermo's advices he knows a lot about these cars
No, I had a 96 Ford Fiesta then jumped into the XJ8 as my 2nd car. Now as I am growing older and we need to be money smart I must now look at a more sensible car.

Thanks for the replies so far, I wasn't aware the diesel version wasn't offered in the US. I will put a post in the diesel section of the site (which I didn't know was there)

I'll keep you informed!
S.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Stu, as I replied earlier.........to try and negate any obvious petty little issues try to go for at least 04 onwards, anything newer is a bonus.
Most of the niggles were well worked out by this point and are well documented on this forum.

As its a diesel you won't have AWD which is a shame as its a great feature, but, you also won't have any of the issues asscociated with it either!

I have a friend with the 2.0 version and I was speaking to him yesterday, he loves the car and hasn't had any issues to speak of tbh.
The 2.2 IMO would be the better option and gives 153bhp instead of 128 iirc
The 2.2 is the same unit as in the Famous Ford Mondeo ST Tdci ( I had one and my son in law has just got an 07 plate ).............a quick diesel for sure.
In fact I had mine remapped to give 195bhp and it was lightning quick foran oil burner...........something else you might consider at some point?

The running gear is mostly Ford so parts are cheap and readily available.......the unit itself is pretty much tried n tested and bulletproof as can be.

Can't think of too many othr issues you might have tbh Stu.............

Do you due diligence by reading the FAQ's on this site ( mostly generic whether its petrol or diesel ) and do the same when you're checking out the car as you would normally and all should be good my friend

Good luck

Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jim, thanks for your reply

I'm not really fussed about the engine size really it's pot luck as far as it goes. I'm going to look at a nice looking 2003 2.0D Estate with 137K on the clock, FSH and it's the SE Premium model. I can only afford a car below £5K which is why it's looking more likely to be a 2.0D as opposed to a 2.2D.

Besides the 128BHP isn't an issue, I have my Vitesse engined Herald for fun times