Sponsored by:

Vacuum hose collapsing

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum hose collapsing

2003 X-type, 2.5L, 65,000 miles
Minneapolis, MN USA

About a year ago, my engine light came on and my car started hesitating if I tried to accelerate too quickly. I took it to a 3rd party garage and was told me vacuum hose had 'collapsed'. It was replaced with a hose they had on hand and was given the old hose. It looked shredded. Within 60 miles of driving, the car started hesitating again and the check engine light reappeared. I took it back to the same shop. This time they went to Jaguar to get a hose and replaced it again. It lasted a little longer, but again within a short period of time the check engine was back on and the symptoms were back.

I have not taken it in again until I have some idea of what might be going on. What might be causing this hose to fail? Could some liquid (ie hot oil) or something be dripping on the hose? Is there a bigger problem?

I'm not much of an 'under the hood' guy so if there is more information to help diagnose this I can try to find out.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Prolly shouldn't add my 2 cents, since I'm no expert. BUT..lulz...your year/make is known to have problems with the mass airflow sensor, which could cause the "hesitation"....not sure if it would have additional knock on effects with your hose though.

BTW the lulz are not at your pain but rather my limited knowledge...just trying to help

Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Hi, Robert and welcome to the forum. You have joined the rgiht place. There is a wealth of knowledge of the X on here. Pretty much anything that can happen to it has been discussed here at one time or another. Peopel are very friendly and forthcoming with help

You don't say if your last hose also failed or just that the check engine light came on again. The most common issue the early Xs seem to have are vacuum leaks. Could be that your new issue is not because of that same hose. Usually they are relatively cheap and simple issues to fix. A good start would be to get your codes read. Or start with a search on here for codes P0171 and P0174. Can't say that is the issue, but at least is a starting point. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Owner

Did you fix your issue yet?
Let me tell you I have had the same problem and even worst, my X-Type not only hesitated while pushing the gas pedal it also was low in revs, for example was taking too long to accelerate, I open the hood and I was able to see how the hose was collapsing while hitting gas.... I did replaced the hose for a similar one belonging to a Ford Contour just cuttined it to the right measurements then DONE my car gained power speed and hesitation was GONE but after couple months the problem began again, so I end getting a new hose and had a spring installed in it this way there's no collapse issue any more.
I hope this work for you as well....
Please share your experience with me.