X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very little heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default very little heat

My wife has a 2002 X type that has stopped heating the interior. Temp guage shows normal, but only has slightly warm air from the heater. I read somewhere to remove the cap where you add antifreeze and run the car at fast idle for 5 minutes to remove any air from the system. I did that last night but only added a small amount of antifreeze to the system. It seems to get a little warm while sitting still, but if you run the fan on high the cold air starts to blow.
Thank you for any help.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts
Default very-little-heat

Try posting in the X-type section, I'm sure you will get an answer there.

It could be a blocked matrix or a valve in the cooling system.

I am not au fait with this model-just escaped from the X350 sect.!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wrong antifreeze?

Do you know if the antifreeze has always been the right quality?

My previous car was a Passat that stopped blowing hot air. I had mixed different types of antifreeze together and the result was that antifreeze somehow sedimented and blocked the heater cell.

Fixing the problem would have required new heater cell and cleaning of the cooling system. 8-15 hours of labor + parts. Didnīt do it. Sold the Passat and bought the X-Type.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Tadams, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of good information here. With that being said, we are a unique bunch and we get to like to know one another. So, please, stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. You will learn who the movers and shakers are around here. Then once you get the car fixed, stick around. There is a lot to learn about your car and once you learn some, you will be able to help out others. That is what makes this place so great.

As for your problem. To me it seems you have a blockage in your heater core. With that being said, your best bet is to get your hands on some compressed air and then remove both lines from the heater core as they go through the firewall. From there, use the compressed air on one side and blow through the heater core. Initially you will get a large slug of water out. But, after that, if it is not blocked, you should get a really nice jet of air coming out. If you get just a whisper, then you have a blockage. Blow back and forth through the heater core until you push something out. Normally a few blows and whatever is in there will work its way out. You can also try pushing a slug of water through the heater core. This will act like a "hammer" and help push the item through. I do not recommend exceeding about 80 psi of air. But, a little bit of work and you should clear out the blockage.