X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water on intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water on intake manifold

hello everyone happy new year. here is whats going on with my daughter's 2004 x-type 3.0.
it was leaking water thru the water pump so i replaced it, i also decided to change spark plugs since i've had the time and i had to removed engine cover and everything else involved.
after putting everything togheter the car stared normal and runned nice and smooth but the nex day engine light came on and we stared having problems with the car not staring right away, I though i have put the intake gaskets wrongly so I procced to remove it to inspect and I noticed water in the intake specially on the upper area close to the maf sensor and the pipe that goes out next to the maf sensor, i inspected the rest of the mannifold and only one of the cylinder inlets of the shows water residue as well.
the car also seems to be loosing water and i could not find any more leaks so im wondering if the water ist going thru that cylinder that showed water residue?
any thoughts? im sorry anout typos english its not my primary lenguage, thanks in advance

Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

nahum, from what you are saying, your problem most likely is the coolant hose that runs to the throttlebody. As you were doing the plug change, you probably stretched the hose pretty good and it has developed a pin hole leak. There is no water that flows through the intake assembly during normal operation. The other "common problem" area that we have is if you look in that area, you will see a plastic coolant tee where 3 coolant hoses meet. This is known to develop a crack in the plastic and leak like you are seeing.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo: thank you so much for your response, i will take a closer look to those hoses, the other problem i noticed is that some of the hoses are swelling , i dont know it almost looks like pressure is building some where and somehow sending water inside the throttle body, could a faulty thermostat cause this? I replaced the thermostat not too long ago

Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

swelling hoses is not good. I would start by taking a good look at the hoses thermo just said. Also look at the baffle that holds the maf sensor. Take it off and see if you have any cracks in it causing water to be sucked into the throttle body. I have seen them crack in between the ripples on the lower side next to the hoses.
Let us know what you find.
Thanks and good luck,
The Dr!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

nahum, the thermostat is down by the radiator and that will not result in water getting on top of the engine.

As for the hoses starting to swell, that is because the internals of the hoses are starting to degrade and they will need to be replaced in the near future. This is common of rubber tubing that has seen the adverse conditions that are under the hood.