X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pumo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pumo?

Recently my 03 X-Type started smoking and the temp gauge shot to red. Upon inspection I noticed a crack in the seam of T, so I just changed out the thermostat housing (cost me $146 from the Dealer).

After putting most of it back together I decided to check it. Everything seemed fine for about 5 minutes until I rev'd it up for a couple of mins and again smoke. I checked under the car and I could see fluid dripping off the tranny.

Took me a while to trace where it was coming from. The last place I could trace it to looked like it was dripping from behind the bottom of a bolt of what I think is the water pump (directly under the throttle body). Is it pretty safe to say it is the pump or is there somewhere else it could be coming from?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking from top of radiator

Ok, changed the water pump (pretty straight fwd) and no more leaks (for now).

The weird thing is that now there is smoke coming from the top of the radiator or atleast that what it seems like. It looks like the smoke is coming between the top of the radiator and the air intake. I can't seem to pinpoint it. When I rev'd the engine to 2k for about 2mins it really started smoking bad. I stopped the engine and took another look but still nothing... I thought maybe it could be coolant burning off but there was never any coolant that leaked near there and there is no smell... Any Ideas Please Help

Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

UltraV, it may be possible that you have cracked the radiator. That is about the only way to get coolant in that area as I recall. You may want to try pulling the horn assembly off of the intake to get a better look at the radiator unless you have a boroscope handy. I wish the news was better, but that is about all that I can think of.