X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird clicking noise in gearshift handle

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird clicking noise in gearshift handle

Long time lurker, first time caller. I have a 2002 X-Type, 2.5L Automatic tranny, left hand steering. When I step on the brake pedal it does what it's supposed to stops/slows the car. When I release the brake pedal I can hear a clicking noise and have traced it to the gearshift knob. When I release the brake pedal, I can feel the clicking noise in the gear knob. What is this all about.

This is my first kitty and have already learned lots on this forum. This makes about the 50th forum I belong to between motorcycles, cars, hookers, and beer!

PS. What do I have to do to get privileges to view peoples pics hosted on another site? Every time I click on link I get not authorized to view. Do I have to post so many times before the gates are unlocked? I don't want to be a post ***** but if you see her, giver her my number!

I'm not a gynecologist, but I will take a look at it!

Sincerely your Pal,
Jeff

Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by atk350
Long time lurker, first time caller. I have a 2002 X-Type, 2.5L Automatic tranny, left hand steering. When I step on the brake pedal it does what it's supposed to stops/slows the car. When I release the brake pedal I can hear a clicking noise and have traced it to the gearshift knob. When I release the brake pedal, I can feel the clicking noise in the gear knob. What is this all about.

This is my first kitty and have already learned lots on this forum. This makes about the 50th forum I belong to between motorcycles, cars, hookers, and beer!

PS. What do I have to do to get privileges to view peoples pics hosted on another site? Every time I click on link I get not authorized to view. Do I have to post so many times before the gates are unlocked? I don't want to be a post ***** but if you see her, giver her my number!

I'm not a gynecologist, but I will take a look at it!

Sincerely your Pal,
Jeff
Hey Jeff

Welcone to the posting world, you get priviledges after a certain amount of posts.

There is a brake interlock switch, cant shift out of park without your foot on the brake, maybe it's loose. The woodgrain cover comes off so you can have alook.

The following users liked this post:
atk350 (09-30-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sidewalk, my 02 does the samething. When I got it I looked at it and everything was tight. I've gotten use to it, but when I bought it, it did bug me. I'm not sure but I think it might be the nature of the 02 beast. I did shoot some WD40 in there and it made it a little less noticeable. Wasn't that the year that they first started doing that, where if you didn't hit the brakes you couldn't shift into gear? I know that it's working when I hit the brake and it makes a small clicking sound now...lol

The following users liked this post:
cheebong (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise in Gearshift Handle

Hello. My 2002 Jaguar X-Type does the EXACT clicking noise. Where did you exactly shoot the WD40? Thanks.

Originally Posted by vai1953
Sidewalk, my 02 does the samething. When I got it I looked at it and everything was tight. I've gotten use to it, but when I bought it, it did bug me. I'm not sure but I think it might be the nature of the 02 beast. I did shoot some WD40 in there and it made it a little less noticeable. Wasn't that the year that they first started doing that, where if you didn't hit the brakes you couldn't shift into gear? I know that it's working when I hit the brake and it makes a small clicking sound now...lol

Old 08-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Easy, cheap fix. See this post.......
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nigans-149471/