X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welcome, Y'all

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome, Y'all

Well I'm actually welcoming myself. Posted this in the new guy forum, but this is more appropriate as Disco pointed out to me... enjoy and I'm sure I'll be talking to some more of you all soon... Below was my previous post.

Hey folks,
I'm new on this site, but thought I'd say what's up. I've owned a black on black 02 X-Type 2.5 sport for a couple years now. I bought it in 08 and got it with about 45,000 miles. Put on a few mods, but nothing to the engine. I'm a little wary to do so, but I'm looking to get on a new exhaust, and I'm very interested in Turbo's, but haven't really found any good info online. So far I've replaced the brakes with drilled/slotted rotors, ceramic pads, painted the calipers yellow, replaced the wheels with 18" Moda MD-12's, black mesh front grill and bumper inserts, tinted the windows all around. Also will be buying smoked turn signals and tinting the tail lamps, but I'm going to do it a little differently than I've seen on the forum. Wait and see... Should look really good and classy. Anybody with a grip of cash and credit can dump money into a car, but I'm all about upgrading my car the way the factory should have done it. not trying to be extreme, but just putting a little more thought into what the idea was meant to be

So far, after 2 years, it's been a great car. I've heard horror stories about these cars, but really I feel like they're either beating them up, or have bad luck. I'm definately hooked on the brand now... was even trying to get an XKR, but the wife slapped me in the face as soon as I mentioned it. I then said "maybe we can compromise... can I get another motorcycle?" Bam!!! hit again, so I'm making due with what I've got. I do love the car though. As it came stock, it was a little blah, but with the mods that I've done, I'm in love, and get non-stop compliments, and when I tell them what I paid for it along with what I did, their jaws drop. Actually, I pull up to S-types (what I used to really love) and XJR's(what I'm thinking about getting next), I am just as satisfied with my baby jag as I think I'd be if I owned one of those, and really prefer the sporty look of mine over any S-Type now.

Well, just wanted to introduce myself, and will be looking out to see what's up, what's new, and what people have done to theirs.
Some things I'm really interested in finding more about is:
-Turbo's and what may have to be alterred to put on in
-Good exhausts, not keeping a true budget in mind, but bang for the buck is what i'm all about
-Any way to improve the power output without harming the mechanics or computer systems.
-installing heated seats in a non-heated seat model. This is huge to me right now as I'm going to be moving to the DC area and would love to have them for next winter.

Well, that's that, so drop me a line, and if you have any info on these subjects, let me know.
Thanks

Matt

Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Welcome! I love clean black sport models. This is my favorite X-Type: http://www.garaget.org/?car=64503

What else can you do with the tails that hasn't been done? There is full black (most common), blackening of the red part and leaving the white (I call this the "American look") and there is what most European carmakers would do on sport models from the factory, red with darkened reverse/amber sections (and possible minor tinting of red sections like some Mercedes). I went with the last option, but given your yellow calipers and colloquialism, I would predict that you'll do the "American look."

Last edited by exexpat; 03-25-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 PM

I agree with you... blacked out, clean looking sport's are where it's at. I'm actually not a particular fan of the X-Type, oddly enough. I had always seen the standard models with the crappy wheels, cooshier taller suspension and chrome trim, and it just didn't appeal to me. I used to be a big S-Type fan, but as I was looking to replace my busted old Grand Cherokee, I found mine online. It was the first Sport model I'd seen, or at least noticed. Went to the dealer to give it a look, and picked it up a couple days later. After getting tired of the stock look, and being bored on deployment, I really got into looking hard into mods, and have been totally content with what I've done so far. I've got buddies with BMW's, Audi's and Benz's, and I like the look of my little baby Jag way more than theirs. the mods really make the car.

I'll be going with the middle option, but the tinting is my quagmire. Still debating different options, but I'm positive that when it's done, it'll be perfect. I want to keep the back up light white. I'll post when it's done, though.

Also, don't know how i goofed on the model wheel i have, but it's actually the Moda MD-7. They look pretty awesome in 18". I see some folks riding around with X-Types on 20's and it makes me cringe!!! These aren't Chrysler 300's... bigger isn't better, just makes you look like an amature with a large back pocket, or credit line.

I'll post a couple pics when this website opens up the restrictions it's got on me... any idea how long that lasts? I'm kinda tired of it already

Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 AM

By the way, that link, with your favorite, is pretty damn nice!!! I really like the body kit, but personally will stay away from it, just to be different. It sure is super clean, though. Do you know who's it is, or you just find it online?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by echosixnovember
when this website opens up the restrictions it's got on me... any idea how long that lasts? I'm kinda tired of it already
To foil the spammers, take the year of your X-type, multiply by 4, subtract 2, divide by 2...thats the number of days you have to be registered.

Also, minimum post count must be ...well, lets just say you've surpassed it, at least that's what I was told. Just to be safe, since you have some time to kill, why don't you double your posts.

Thanks for playing.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Daaaaaaang!!!! that's a lot of posts...hahahahahaaaaa. I'll be patient, I suppose.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I meant last two digits of the year...not the whole thing..sorry. lol, that is alot of posts to wait.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Echo, if you are moving to the DC area, look me up. I am south of there by about an hour. I live just south of California/Hollywood area (no, not the actual state, there are two towns down here called that). I'm sure whatever you have in mind, we can get you hooked up with.

As for power additions for your X-Type, there's 2 things to keep in mind: 1) the options are pretty limited unless you are going custom (that's the short of the situation), and 2) the transfer case is the weak link in these cars and they can barely handle the power the stock 3.0L motor makes, so, any sort of power gain is most likely going to result in a shorter life of the transfer case.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to see u took my suggestion in moving to the x type boards

Old 03-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by echosixnovember
I see some folks riding around with X-Types on 20's and it makes me cringe!!!
Um... I have 20s and paid about $600 for them shipped to my door:

I think anything under 19" looks too small on these, but it's all personal preference.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

$600?!?! how did you get such a good deal?!

Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
$600?!?! how did you get such a good deal?!
They were auctioning at $299 on ebay with no bidders just before xmas. Guessing they need to clear inventory or make annual sales numbers. They start at $499 or higher these days. Shipping was $250 or something - I may have paid less than $600 actually, can't really remember. Wheels are good though. I had staggered Highline wheels on my C70 in 19" for 3 years and put those on the X-Type for a week, but they looked too small to me.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I really like those wheels on the volvo, I would love to see them on the jag but well done on getting that deal!