X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do i need to do

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need to do

i have 2004 x-type// brought brand new no wrecks no accidents//had 17 inch factory rims ,,changed over to after market rims which is also 17 inch kept tire size same as factory tire even went with same brand 225/45/17 continental 91w rating,,i've had the wheels balanced waaay to many times,, even had a road force test done,, result was nothing wrong with tire or rims,,the ride changed from day one ,,vibrationan and steering wheel shake ... between different balancing jobs sometimes its better sometimes its worst,,,factory rims got missing or would changed back to them,,,,someone mentioned maybe rims i have now may have wrong offset,,, i dont know...im tired of problem,,,question to anyone that will help that has after market wheels,,if its the offset problem ,,,how do i find offset specs,,, i know everyone with nice aftermarket wheels,on a jag dont shake,,,,some please direct me to the right aftermarket wheel brand and tire,,, that will ride smoove with good perfomanc.,, accepting any suggestions ,,,, help

Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds like you have a bent wheel somewhere in the mix. What was the outcome of the road force balance?

Try rotating your front tires to the back, if you have a slightly bent or out of balance wheel then it will be less noticeable in the back.

You also should have your bushings inspected, excessive play can cause vibration. Do you have any propshaft noise?

Finally, have you had an alignment?

Do your aftermarket wheels fit the hub or do you have hub spacers? Offset issues are generally to ensure proper brake clearance and typically don't cause vibration problems.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Sounds like you have a bent wheel somewhere in the mix. What was the outcome of the road force balance?

Try rotating your front tires to the back, if you have a slightly bent or out of balance wheel then it will be less noticeable in the back.

You also should have your bushings inspected, excessive play can cause vibration. Do you have any propshaft noise?

Finally, have you had an alignment?

Do your aftermarket wheels fit the hub or do you have hub spacers? Offset issues are generally to ensure proper brake clearance and typically don't cause vibration problems.
road force test where suppose to have checked out ok ,,,had alignmennt done last november by jaguar dealership,,found a guy couple months ago that had 25 years of jag experience..i took it to him and asked about bushings,, he looked at it without even taking off wheel,,lol and suggested road force test,,like i said the guy gave me some numbers from test and said it was in spec,,,cant remeber numbers but i remeber one being a little higher than othersthat was another 110 dollars gone ive just about spent enough money on balacing to have bought another set of wheels,,people at wheel business sayin i can get it balanced

Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Alignment before or after the new wheels/tires?

I have run into some tires that just won't balance, no matter how many times you try or what method. It is not something you expect and have a difficult time proving since so many things can cause vibration.

"in spec" doesn't always mean best possible peformance. The X type is very sensitive to alignment,balance, and tire pressure.

How do your brake rotors look? Are they warped?

Try rotating them (tires) as suggested. It will only take a half hour of your time and it is free. Then check your tire pressures, you probably want between 32 and 38 psi depending on the tire - it takes some experimenting sometimes.

If that doesn't work, you could take it to a Jag dealer with a complaint of VIBRATION and don't ask for a balancing of the tires. Let them determine if that needs done.

Good luck, I know this issue can be very frustrating.