Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do and what not to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default what to do and what not to do?

I have a 2003 X-type with 60,000 miles. I am looking into preventive maintenance. I want to keep the car going instead of fixing it once something breaks. I see that a lot of people have changed the oil in the transfer case as well as the rear diff oil. Should I change both these oils or just leave it alone? The car rides great but, I did hear that “tune fork sound” when it was -10 out last week. Any suggesting?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: what to do and what not to do?

As my sig says....

But I think you would be better off if you did have the two areas you mentioned, lube oils changed..I did mine at 30,000 miles and I found them to be LOW and terribly black and used looking...My great appreciation to Bojangles for inspiring me to check and change mine.

My next project will be to drain and re-fill the transmission...

Another thing would be to drain and re-fill your coolant system every two to three years as well as the brake fluid/clutch fluid.

I also spray on some rubber/vinyl protectant on all the rubber boots and bushings underneath.

I'm sure there is other helpful advise from these good folks..so I'll leave this as my 2 cents.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bending over is much less painful when it is planned, and not a breakdown.
[sm=signs007.gif]

...Can't stress enough the value of changing your coolant....it took me replacing water pumps (and a radiator) in three vehicles (fortunately not the X) before the light bulb went off that I was in a bad habit of keeping water in the cooling system with a minimum of coolant.....yes, stupid I know...but we don't have a need for true "antifreeze" here and these vehicles never overheated. The problem was not temperature control but build up of corrosion in the water pump....coolant lubricates and protects your water pump and internal water passages....simple maintenance...expensive repair if you don't change it often enough....

my .02

[sm=redxX.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2846/1DC5A7896F0C4CEFA95D672617E86EA0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Bo, the PAS fluid is a piece of cake. If you look at the PAS cooler through the lower front bumper, take off one of the rubber lines running to it and let it drain, better if you jack up the front so while it is draining, you can turn wheels left to right (engine off of course) and let more fluid out. Put line back on (making sure you put clamp back on also) then fill up with fluid, start car and turn lock to lock 5 times (not holding on lock for more than 3 seconds) and repeat procedure 3 times.
I recommend using the Mobil1 ATF for the PAS system.

Hope this helps.