Sponsored by:

What Do You Think Of These?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Rock1, I am not a big fan of the brake dust shields. My main objection with them isn't looks, it is brake longevity. The dust shields minimize air flow to the rotors, allowing them to get hotter during repeat braking, which will lead to increased brake pad wear and the increased likelihood of warped rotors. You also run the chance of decreased stopping power due to getting the rotors too hot if you have to do a prolonged high speed stop.

If you are wanting to get rid of brake dust on your rims, step up to a ceramic pad. You get the same stopping power as the factory pads, but no dust.

If there is another reason (other than brake pad dust collection), I would love to hear it. But, for me, the cons out way the pros. But, your car. As long as you understand the pros and cons, do as you see fit.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad Idea..even when they say they won't affect brake cooling, they do..To eliminate Brake dust, get a set of quality ceramic pads.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drive like my dear departed grandmother the dust guards will probably not create a performance problem for your brakes. They do however create a visual red flag that says "tool." Gran died in a car accident. She went off the road and hit a tree. Dry road, no skid marks. The investigating officer commented on how clean her wheels looked.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Used EBC redstuff on my 3.0 x type and better than std braking and hardly any dust...what very little there was was probably just rioad grime and wiped straight off easily...have them now on the back of my xj and will put them on the front when the time comes...probably cheaper than dust guards too!