Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts
Default What he said

Letter to the editor: Car and Driver magazine April 2013

"X FACTOR

In the January 2013 Upfront section ["Can This Car Save Jaguar?"], you opined that what Jaguar needs is an entry-level volume car to compete with the likes of BMW's 3-series. It used to have one: the X-type. If its premature demise dooms Jaguar, you have yourselves to partially blame. The press dissed the X-type unmercifully as a "tarted-up Taurus," and sniffed that the car "cannot hide its Ford Mondeo roots." To be sure, Ford/Jaguar shot itself in the foot with the car, positioning it as a downsized XJ, instead of the taut and lithe little sports sedan it really was and is.

I have owned two of them and have been entirely satisfied with both. The first gave me more than 100,00 trouble-free miles --try that in your 3-series-- while rewarding me every step of the way. The second has the bigger engine, which largely solves the only quibble I had with the first. It's the right size, does what it's told with aplomb and precision, and feels wonderful to drive.

JARED HOKE
Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota"

I couldn't have said it any better.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

The following 2 users liked this post by pab:
beechums (03-22-2013), Nardoswiss (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Like a posted in another thread before...I believe that the X-type's image was ruined by the lack of proper management from Jaguar. Actually the whole company was about to become history because of weird and non flexible management...I really hope they have learned from their own mistakes.

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 03-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The Mondeo is a fantastic bit of kit. The X-Type Jag is a slightly more upmarket automobile built on the same platform as the Mondeo. As our American cousins might say, do the math.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pab

"X FACTOR

In the January 2013 Upfront section ["Can This Car Save Jaguar?"], you opined that what Jaguar needs is an entry-level volume car to compete with the likes of BMW's 3-series. It used to have one: the X-type. If its premature demise dooms Jaguar, you have yourselves to partially blame. The press dissed the X-type unmercifully as a "tarted-up Taurus," and sniffed that the car "cannot hide its Ford Mondeo roots." To be sure, Ford/Jaguar shot itself in the foot with the car, positioning it as a downsized XJ, instead of the taut and lithe little sports sedan it really was and is.

I have owned two of them and have been entirely satisfied with both. The first gave me more than 100,00 trouble-free miles --try that in your 3-series-- while rewarding me every step of the way. The second has the bigger engine, which largely solves the only quibble I had with the first. It's the right size, does what it's told with aplomb and precision, and feels wonderful to drive.

JARED HOKE

Can I get an Amen from the congregation!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by pab

"X FACTOR

JARED HOKE

Ummmm! Somebody's been listening.........

Drive - Jaguar XS to Take on 3-Series

Cheers,