Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What needs to be done???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What needs to be done???

Hey everyone,
Well, it looks like the X type is going into storage until after graduate school. So, my question, what do I need to do to the car to have it last? What I was planning is changing the oil, draining the gas tank, putting in a few bottles of a gas stabilizer, putting the car on jack-stands putting the tires inside of it (maybe in the rear seat.) Does anyone know how to take off the Jaguar emblem on the hood? Does anyone know where I can get a car cover that's pretty cheap, but still good? (I'm poor...)

Any advice would be awesome guys. The car will be in storage for about 5 years...

Thanks,

Jim

Old 09-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jim, disconnect the battery when you are not using the car weekly. The computers will still pull power and kill the battery after a week or so.

I would not worry about pulling the tires off if you are putting the car up on jack stands. KISS. As for the emblem, leave it where it is unless the car is being stored in a less than desireable place (then I ask why you are storing it there).

As for the car cover, if the car is being stored outside, the car cover is probably a bad idea. The wind is going to blow the cover around and it can lead to paint wear on the high spots of the car. It is like the people that used to put the leather bras on their cars. After a few years, when they pulled them off, the edge of the bra had worn away their paint and it lead to them having to repaint the car (hence why you don't see them being sold any more).

As for anything else you may need to do, if you can get your hands on some desicant (moisture removal beads), it may not be a bad idea to put a few of those bags inside the car to help prevent the build up of mildew should the inside get a little bit of moisture in it. TRUST ME!!!!! Mildew inside of a vehicle is not a fun thing to deal with. Happened to me when I moved my truck from Seattle to Hawaii. The inside of the truck turned fuzzy in just 3 weeks.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (09-06-2014)