X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires you run on your X Type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What tires you run on your X Type?

I am just wondering what tires you guys run on your X. Its time for me to replace the OEM continentals and I ordered a set of Goodyear RSA's.. I have read mix reviews for the tires but for the price I paid for them and a $40 mail in rebate, I could afford to get another set in a year or so if they dont pan out..

I was going to get a set of the Kuhmo ASX's but opted for these for now. I have has Kuhmos in the past and they were a very good tire..

So post up what your running on your X and your views of them.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Conti Pro-Contacts on my X-type. I had the original touring Contacts for about 55K (still had tread left on them), have about 43K on the ProContacts. They've been great for the Michigan climate...good on snow and they handle pretty well on dry pavement as well. I wouldn't hesitate to get anothe set.

2.5L '03 Platinum 98K and still going strong!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

I bought some Falkon RE912's in the 235/45R17 size. I have been happy with them. so far, so good in the way of traction and wear. But then, I only have about 4,000 miles on the tires. So, the final judgement is still out there. I will tell you this, I have plenty of traction on dry pavement that if I need to do an emergency brake maneuver, I am fearful of standing the car up on the front bumper. I know it will clear all the seats if there is anything on them that isn't bolted down.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine had Goodyear Viva's on it when I got it. They were aweful, especially in the snow, so I just changed them out for the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. So far so good with those.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  19.3 KB

Had the Pirelli P zeros on mine when I had her and also have had them on a variety of other cars I've owned.
I'm a bit of a fan I have to say....They can be expensive, but fantastic in the wet, great handling in dry conditions and the wear was pretty good too.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s in Summer
Dunlop Winter Sport M3's in Winter.

Goodyears have great grip, especially in rain. Dunlops are mediocre winter tires.

If you are in a "no snow" climate the GS-D3's are an excellent choice for $159 at Tire-rack.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Currently Hankook Ventus V12's. Have had them a few years and they are wearing nicely. Great grip in the dry and wet, fairly good grip in the snow and ice but I don't really use them in the winter much - either take one of my trucks or put the winter tires/wheels on it (Hankook IceBear W300).

I bought them at Pep Boys during a buy 3 get 1 free deal. Perhaps the first and only thing I have ever purchased at Pep Boys that wasn't a piece of crap.

I have the Conti Extreme Contact DWS on my SAAB and they are fantastic, if a little on the noisy side.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently- Dunlop Winter Sport 3D (205/55/16)

Summer- Conti Extreme Contact (225/45/18)

I actually like both tires, you cannot break the snow's loose. My wife takes my car in the even snow..... She drives an 06' 325Xi with conti run-flats...... HORRRIBLE traction in anything but dry or mildly damp road conditions.

I am extremely partial to Bridgestones..... but they do not make anything worht trying in the sizes i need.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM

I've run 2 sets of tires on my X...Falken Ziex 912 and Yokahama YK520 (Discount/America's Tire). I also used to run the Yokaham YK520's on my Saab 9-3 and would buy them again in a heartbeat. I have 3 Discount Tire locations near me and played them all off of each other. I also used www.discounttire.com and www.discounttiredirect.com websites. The first quote was just over $500, but playing the 3 of them and their own 2 company websites, was out the door for $396 including tax for 225/45R17's.

Good luck!!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Hmmm...originally had the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 for summer (great tire but truly only for summer) and still have Michelin Pilot Alpin for winter (they are awesome). Tried the kumho ASX they were just okay. Now I have new 18" wheels for the spring and need tires. I was leaning towards either the Dunlop SP Sport Signature, Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position, General Exclaim UHP or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. But NONE of them have been mentioned yet. I know all of them are all seasons by definition but I'm trying to get something I can run a few extra months before turning to dedicated winter tires. Guess I'll be watching for more opinions here.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

mohrd, you might want to think about the ContiExtremeContact DWS.

They are not as aggressive or noisy as the prior verison of the ExtremeContacts, but still have real good traction in various conditions. I'm running them on my SAAB in the winter (although not in the snow very much) because I wanted to drive the car a few more months before parking it in the dead of winter and switching to the Rover, Jeep or X.

Anyway, they are not too expensive, I think about $130 a tire or so from TireRack for 17's, so 18's are probably a bit more. Something to think about anyway.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Chris. I'm putting them in the list of possibilities. Like the low noise factor.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

if you're looking for an affordable summer tire, you might want to check this article out: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

I was thinking about the Hankook Ventus V12 as my next set, but summer performance tires don't work well at the temperatures we get around here half the year. The Contis are higher rated and comparably priced, and have the added advantage of being all season performance tires.

The Continental Extreme Contacts are the #1 rated tire on TireRack for our cars. Pretty impressive rankings across all of the listed categories. I'm leaning toward the Contis now. I love Kumho's on dry pavement, but they can feel kind of dodgy in the wet (something Car & Driver also noted), so I'm not going to replace them with new Kumhos when they're worn out.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM

Well today I had my new Goodyears mounted and balanced on my new set of rims. Tomorrow it get a 4 wheel alignment. So far so good, will post up some pics of the new rims/tires tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

The Conti Extreme DWSs seem to be getting rave reviews everywhere. They aren't directional so at least you can rotate them. I may give them a try. Pete getting his new rims and tires is making me a bit jealous. I've got my new rims. Antera 323s. Took me a long long time to find them. But I won't be putting them on for a few more months so I've got time to get tires.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mohrd
The Conti Extreme DWSs seem to be getting rave reviews everywhere. They aren't directional so at least you can rotate them. I may give them a try. Pete getting his new rims and tires is making me a bit jealous. I've got my new rims. Antera 323s. Took me a long long time to find them. But I won't be putting them on for a few more months so I've got time to get tires.
Yeah my tires needed to be changed, and one of my rims had a slight bend in it. I needed a new set of rims/which are Jaguar OEM rims.. They look so much better then the tobagos which are dated..

Pictures tomorrow..

Old 01-14-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pete04xtype
I am just wondering what tires you guys run on your X. Its time for me to replace the OEM continentals and I ordered a set of Goodyear RSA's..
My X-Type came with Continental ContiSport Pro-Contacts and I've been pretty happy with them. My Solstice came with the Goodyear Eagle RSAs but I'll be honest and say that I replaced them at only 8,000 miles. That is not to say from treadwear but wet traction was pretty poor. The ones I run on my Solstice now are Bridgestone RE-01R and the difference is night and day on wet surfaces. Bridgestone discontinued the RE-01R but they have a few equivalent R-compound tires so I'll probably go with them again when the Continentals reach the end of the their tread life. That said, I know its not fair to compare an all-season tire to a summer one but if you are in the climate, I'd spring for a summer tire.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 AM

^^^^ I live in the North East so running strickly summer tires are out of the question. I had them on my last car and once the snow hit, I parked it until 90% was plowed/salted/melted.

I will see how long these new RS-A's will last.. Got them for a great price so if they only last a yr or so I will then upgrade to a better tire. Like I said before I am a fan of Kuhmo tires.

Last edited by Pete04xtype; 01-15-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: edit
Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Right now I'm running Goodyear Glaciergrips. They're pretty nice!
In the Summer I'll be getting either a pair of Toyo T1R's or R1R's - unless I find a really good deal on some closeouts like last Summer....

Old 01-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Dunlop Sport Maxx TTs - 225 40 18 on my 3.0 Sport. Loads of grip and not too hard.

Quick Reply: What tires you run on your X Type?