X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What weight and brand do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What weight and brand do you use?

My gf has recently gotten tired of dishing out 90+ dollars so im going to start doing it, but I am unsure of what type of motor oil to use. I called Jaguar and they said Non-synthetic Mobil 1 10w-30, but I'm thinking that all Mobil 1 is synthetic. I use Havoline 10w-30 on my other vehicles, but wanted to double check before putting any of that into a Jaguar. Please let me know what you guys use in your X-types. Thanks, in advance.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: What weight and brand do you use?

Most say on the oil filler cap what Jag recommends.

Castrol GTX 5W 30. A new Purolator Oil Filter PL20195 would make a most excellent change!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Most dealers in the UK use Castrol Magnetec 5w-30.
Ive used this in mine for 4 years of owning
I queried the type with Jag customer services and they emailed to say it doesnt matter whether you use synthetic or semi synthetic they dont recommend one above the other as long as it meets their specifications I suppose.
Enter your car details here for which oils are OK
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/castr...ategoryId=3205
It all comes down to personal preference as a lot of owners on this site have their own preferences for which oil they use that meets at least the spec

Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 PM

thanks guys!!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using 5-W30 Amsoil and mobil 1

Old 01-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic in the winter. 10w30 in the warmer months since my car has 100k on the odo.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM

5w-30 Amsoil Synthetic Oil with a Mann or OEM Filter.

Oil change intervals of 10K miles.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Royal Purple 10w -30

Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Castrol GTX 5W 30 is what I use.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpartanX

Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic in the winter. 10w30 in the warmer months since my car has 100k on the odo.
Why would you go the 10w30 in the warmer months???

Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

not to put words in his mouth, but my guess would be that he's compensating for what he is assuming are 'growing' tolerances.
In other words; as the mileage on the motor increases, so do the tolerances in bearings and other friction areas of the motor. the thinking is that a 'thicker' or heavier viscosity oil will 'fill' that space better than a thinner oil, and create a better barrier of lubrication. He's probably thinking as well that in the winter, the lower temps leave the oil thicker and he's getting the same result.

It's old-school, and is one of those "generally accepted facts" among the old-schoolers, but I've never seen a study that indicates it works. In fact, since the thermostat in the motor regulates the temp of the oil (indirectly, by determining the temp of the coolant), the ambient temp probably has very little to do with the temp of the oil.

but I dunno. I've never tested it.
There are new oils on the market that are designed for the higher-mileage motor. I don;t know what they do to it to call it thus.... anybody else know?

personally; I'm a fan of high quality full-synthetics...... always.... no matter the viscosity.
I'm a royal purple or redline sort of guy.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Mobil 1 5W-30. I think that the recommended weight is important considering the variable valve timing.

If you don't want to spring for the brand name premium (although Mobil 1 is available at WalMart) you can get WalMart brand full synthetic for a bit less.

I usually wait till Mobil 1 is on sale at Auto Zone. They have a sale periodically where you can get 5 qts of Mobil 1, any weight, and a Mobil 1 oil filter for $29.95. At Auto Zone you can sign up for one of their cards where you get a $5.00 credit every time you spend $20.00 or more so I will buy 5 qts & a filter four or five days during the week it's on sale.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 PM

I switched over to Unical 76 Full Synthetic 5W-30. Car runs a lot better now. Engine is buttery smooth all the way to redline now. Oil Change every 3000 miles just to be on the safe side. Cause I drive my car HARD.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

I run 5W30 Castrol GTX in my car. I use the Motorcraft filter with it.

I have to agree with Mcjaguar on the running of various viscocity oils. The old motors normally had tolerances up in the 0.010" range in a lot of cases (only the valve guides and the lower bearing clearances between the bearing sleeve and the block had tighter tolerances). In the newer motors, in an attempt to get longer life out of the motors and whatnot, the tolerances have been dropped so everything is now down into the 0.002" range, if not tighter. So, with the larger clearances, going with a heavier weight oil during colder times was probably a good idea. But, with the newer motors, going with a heavier oil can actually be detrimental to the motor as the heavier weight oils have a larger molecule, and in some cases, the molecule can be big enough that it can't fit where it needs to, leading to a lack of lubrication all together. You can see where this might be bad.

Keep in mind that when you try looking at the lubricating properties of full synthetics, the weight of the fluid is only a relative measure of how the full synthetic fluid compares to a traditional oil. In a lot of cases, the synthetic molecule is smaller than an equivolent traditional oil. So, there is some argument as to the benefit of running full synthetic. But, with the motor up and running at temp, the difference is negligible.

If you want to learn about oil and the differences between things, check out http://www.bobtheoilguy.com. He works in the oil industry as I recall and has all the inside scoop and will go into the technical side of things about why oil X is better than oil Z.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Castrol Syntec 5w30 (#2 brand for wear protection, Amsoil #1)with factory filter..year around..

Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 PM

Castrol GTX 5W30 (listed on my oil fill cap), MANN oil filter number W719/36. I change it every 3,000 just because it is cheap insurance in my mind. I used to take it to the dealer for the 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K service.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: McJaguar

not to put words in his mouth, but my guess would be that he's compensating for what he is assuming are 'growing' tolerances.
In other words; as the mileage on the motor increases, so do the tolerances in bearings and other friction areas of the motor. the thinking is that a 'thicker' or heavier viscosity oil will 'fill' that space better than a thinner oil, and create a better barrier of lubrication. He's probably thinking as well that in the winter, the lower temps leave the oil thicker and he's getting the same result.

It's old-school, and is one of those "generally accepted facts" among the old-schoolers, but I've never seen a study that indicates it works. In fact, since the thermostat in the motor regulates the temp of the oil (indirectly, by determining the temp of the coolant), the ambient temp probably has very little to do with the temp of the oil.

but I dunno. I've never tested it.
There are new oils on the market that are designed for the higher-mileage motor. I don;t know what they do to it to call it thus.... anybody else know?

personally; I'm a fan of high quality full-synthetics...... always.... no matter the viscosity.
I'm a royal purple or redline sort of guy.
Well I guess we won't know until he answers but onece 5w-30 and 10w-30 oil heats up it is the SAME viscosity. They are both 30 weight when hot. That is the point of multi viscosity oilit is thin when cold, 5 weight or 10 weight then THICKENS when hot to 30 weight. This helps the old to flow better on cold start up.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: JagXV6

Well I guess we won't know until he answers but onece 5w-30 and 10w-30 oil heats up it is the SAME viscosity. They are both 30 weight when hot. That is the point of multi viscosity oilit is thin when cold, 5 weight or 10 weight then THICKENS when hot to 30 weight. This helps the old to flow better on cold start up.
That is correct, mostly.
Here's a great description my boy found some time ago when his science project demanded some research.

[align=left] Oil weight, or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high). Oils meeting the SAE's low temperature requirements have a "W" after the viscosity rating (example: 10W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30). An oil is rated for viscosity by heating it to a specified temperature, and then allowing it to flow out of a specifically sized hole. Its viscosity rating is determined by the length of time it takes to flow out of the hole. If it flows quickly, it gets a low rating. If it flows slowly, it gets a high rating. [align=center][/align] [/align] [align=left] Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. [/align]
The oil doesn't thicken.... it exhibits the characteristics of both viscosities, at their corresponding temperature ratings.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Well, I don't want to get into a Bojangles contest with you but
when cold, 5w-30 flows like 5 weight oil and when hot it flows
like 30 weight. Last I knew, 30w is thicker then 5w.

My point was I can see no reason to switch between 5w-30 and 10w-30
based on cold or warm weather. They both become 30w when hot.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: JagXV6

Well, I don't want to get into a Bojangles contest with you but
when cold, 5w-30 flows like 5 weight oil and when hot it flows
like 30 weight. Last I knew, 30w is thicker then 5w.

My point was I can see no reason to switch between 5w-30 and 10w-30
based on cold or warm weather. They both become 30w when hot.
Yeah, I don't see any reason for us to argue, when we're saying the same thing. My understanding about HOW it happens is simply different than your own.
Most of my understanding comes from all the research and experimentation we did for my Boy's jr high school science project..... which is ironic, since you brought-up Bo. but I make no claim to being an oil engineer or even a guru. I just know how oil pours when heated on a bunsen burner.....

Quick Reply: What weight and brand do you use?