X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause this??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down What would cause this??

So i installed a HID kit,i hooked everything up like it said...and my passenger side is ALOT more dim than the driver side....anyone have this problem?

The lights looks sweeet from what i can side..minus one being dim????

Attached Thumbnails What would cause this??-hid-problem.jpg  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Monchie, look at the light coming out of the headlight on the passenger side. Is it a lot more yellow or a different color than what is coming out of the driver's side? Also, if possible, swap the ballasts between the two sides. It is possible that you have a bad ballast.

Based on the shape of the image on the wall, it appears you have the bulb in the correct location (ie, focal point of the headlight).

By chance, did you touch the glass bulb on the passenger side with your bare fingers? As silly as it may sound, the oils from your fingers can affect the light output.

I would also do a quick check of the wiring just to make sure that it is all good. But, I really doubt the wiring is an issue because this normally results in a flashing of the HID or a yellowing of the light.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 AM

I could have touched the bulb,I didn't take the bumper off to install and the passenger side was pretty tough.Both lights have the same light hue,they are 4300k so a bright white with a hint of blue...ill try and switch ballasts and see if I get the same outcome

Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Do yourself a favour, take off the bumper cover to do this. It adds only 10 minutes and if you do a search you can find diagrams. It will make the job so much easier and cleaner. If you did get fingers on the bulb you can use a cloth like what you clean your glasses with making sure you don't use any cleaner of any sort.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Might be a bad ballast (or bulb). Swap the ballasts and bulbs individually with the other side to narrow down the issues.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Yeah i need to just go ahead and take it off,i just swapped ballasts and still the pass. side is dim.

Anyone have actual pictures of the locations to take the bumper off...i got the 3 torx under the bumper ,and the 3 on the each inner fender...where are the others? i have seen the black and white diagrams but wheres the other locations...i cant seem to figure them out by the picture

Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by monchie313
Yeah i need to just go ahead and take it off,i just swapped ballasts and still the pass. side is dim.

Anyone have actual pictures of the locations to take the bumper off...i got the 3 torx under the bumper ,and the 3 on the each inner fender...where are the others? i have seen the black and white diagrams but wheres the other locations...i cant seem to figure them out by the picture
I think there are only 8-10 total, IIRC there are a couple under the bumper

Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Thanks everyone for your help,i decided to take the bulbs out and inspect them really good,i found alot of smudges on the pass. side (go figure) cleaned it up and popped everthing back in...low and behold they are now somewhat the same brightness (definatly good enough)

Thanks Again!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by monchie313
Thanks everyone for your help,i decided to take the bulbs out and inspect them really good,i found alot of smudges on the pass. side (go figure) cleaned it up and popped everthing back in...low and behold they are now somewhat the same brightness (definatly good enough)

Thanks Again!
I love it when a plan comes together.