Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel advice, Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel advice, Please!

Hello all,

I have a stressful situation on my hands and could use some good advice. I just finished reading every wheel/tire thread in the faq and I am still unsure as to what I should do. However, I was pleased to learn how much vanity plates cost in the UK and I hope you guys solved the universal healthcare vs. private insurance debate. Anyway, my 2004 X-Type 3.0 sport has the 18" Arubas and two of them are bent (were bent when I bought the car a couple of months ago). I am happy with the Arubas and would like to stay with them but the dealer (Ford dealership not Jag) says they can not find any replacements and I have not been able to find any myself. So, I suggested we find aftermarket rims and just replace them all. I have never bought wheels before and, sadly, it is a much more complicated endeavor than I had hoped.

If I go with aftermarket, of course, I want to avoid all the problems (rubbing, etc...), but I can not find the OEM offset. I read in one thread that it is 42mm. Is that fact? If I go with 18x7.5, 5-108mm and 42mm offset am I good?

Does anyone know where I can get two Arubas? I have heard a couple of people (not on this forum) say that the Arubas are poorly made wheels, break a lot and are thus hard to find, but I have not read about this here. Do you guys believe this to be true and, if so, am I better of getting after market rims?

The dealership is not at all happy about paying for new tires and wheels so I need to make a decision while I have them pinned down. Please give me some good advice - I need it!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i say Check on e-bay you may find some Arubas rims there

Old 07-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Postmodern, for what you will probably end up paying to get the 2 new rims from Aruba, you will be better off going with an aftermarket rim. Besides, if the dealership is paying for the parts, why aren't they finding the rims? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but there is some logic to it. If they can't find the matching rims, then that is just that much more power in your court for 4 new rims.

As for the offset, this is a tricky number to mess with. Offset is a function of rim width. Offset is the difference between the center of the rim (side to side) and the back of the hub. So, for the stock wheels, yes, the offset is like +42MM (ie, the back side of the hub sits 42MM towards the outside edge of the rim in relation to the center of the wheel). So, as you go with wider rims, the offset is going to become a smaller positive number. So, in the case of your 18x7.5" rims, having an offset of +30MM will be closer to what you want. The idea behind knowing the offset is that it keeps the center of the rim in line with the center of the wheel bearing. By doing this, you maximize the wheel bearing and suspension components life due to it seeing less stresses.

If you have more questions, just ask. HOpefully this helps you find something that will work with what you are needing.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I agee with Thermo. Although you aren't real specific about if the dealer has to buy replacements, it's kind of implied. If that is the case, they should be able to get then from Jaguar. Used Arubas ARE hard to find as I found out first hand. One of mine was not holding air and was bent. The shop I took it to was able to get it to hold air, but it looked like at one time that rim was rewelded. I kind of figured I was living on borrowed time and started searching. After about a month I found one on E-Bay that was about $185 US. I have driven mine on the pot holed roads of Wisconsin all winter and came through ok. I don't think they are any worse than any other wheel. I think it's more a function of having a 40 series tire with little cushion when you do hit an uneven surface. I also love the look of the stock Arubas. If the dealer IS responsible to replace your wheels go fight 'em! That are not that easy to find, but they aren't impossible either.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:59 PM

The dealer is paying for the replacements but they really do not want to and they are being ****** about it. They swear that they can not find any of the stock wheels. I looked online just to see if they were really that hard to find and could not find any either. The sites that say the have them do not actually have them in stock. There is one on ebay, but I need two and I feel like the longer I wait to find the stock wheels the less willing the dealer is going to be to pay for this. I do not know if brand new OEM Aruba wheels are available from Jaguar and the dealer is just not willing to pay for them, but I thought that if I could find a place that actually has them I could tell the dealer and make them buy them.

So, the dealer is going to pay for this but I do not have carte blanche. They are only willing to pay for so much and I have had to really fight them to get this much.

I guess I should just go with some after market rims and get it over with so I do not have to deal with these a-holes anymore, but I want to make sure I get the correct size because once the new rims and tires are on my car I am pretty sure that will be the end of any responsibility that the dealer will assume. Also, I have not yet found any rims that I like as much as the Arubas.

Last edited by postmodern; 07-18-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

I know what you mean about finding a refinished one. Same thing happened to me. There are a ton of sites that offer them, but they only have them in stock when they come across one, which probably isn't that often.

Could you maybe settle with the dealer where they give you money and let you find them yourself? Then buy one on E-Bay and then when that comes in in send one of the bent one s to be remanufactured. When that comes in have that also done to the second bent one. Hopefully you'll have enough money left to do that and maybe buy an additional tire. Then you'll not only have good Arubas you will also have a spare that you can change quickly if the need arises. Will take some time and be a bit of a pain, but you'll keep your Arubas and you'll have an extra.

Keep the Arubas!!! Good luck and let us know ow it all shakes out.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Try these guys - I use them all the time at our shop. Quality as good or better than new.

http://www.blackburnswheelfinder.com/

Old 07-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you thought about having the dealer put in writing what they are willing to pay you for the wheels, this way however long it takes your covered.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Get the $ from the dealer that they are willing to spend on the Arubas, if possible.

Then spend it on some aftermarket wheels. Both Discount Tire Direct (where I bought mine) and Tirerack have many to choose from. They will send you what fits and any spacers you may need.

If you stumble across 2 Arubas in the future, then snap them up and you'll have a set for winter.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:36 AM

Thanks a lot for all the input! You guys have been very helpful. Here is what I have learned so far... After speaking with the folks at Jaguar I found out that the specs for the stock Jag wheels are stamped on the inside of the spokes. That may be common knowledge, but it took me a while to find out so I thought I would share. So, the definite specs for the Aruba style wheels are 18" x 7.5", bolt pattern 5/108, center bore 63.6 and offset +52.5mm.

Good luck finding that offset on some after market wheels. Most wheel shops say that +30 on up will work, but I know from reading threads on this forum that may not always be true. Somekidzenvy has 18 x 8" with +38 and says they rub badly. Most people on here with 18 x 7.5" and an offset of at least +40 say they have had no problems. Is that true, RudyF6? I read that you have 18 x 7.5 with +40mm. Are those still working for you? Also, I checked that blackburn place you recommended and they did not have any of the Arubas. They seemed like nice people, though.

After looking at every wheel in the known universe, I think I have decided on these:

Kyowa Racing KR228, 18 x 7.5", +42 offset in hyper black. My X is onyx white with the sport trim. These wheels and some window tinting and I think my car will look pretty smooth. What do you guys think?

Many of you made suggestions concerning how I should deal with the Ford dealer who sold me the X and they were all good ideas, especially if I could end up keeping the Arubas. However, the only way I am getting them to pay for the new wheels and tires is if I let them keep the Arubas. Bum deal, I know, especially since they are the ones that lied to me about the condition of the wheels and tires in the first place. And to further complicate things I am running on three of the new Khumo asxs (long story) and the wheel that is bent the worst still has an old tire on it. So, I need to get this sorted out asap.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If the dealer will only replace the Arubas, have them ship yours off to be remanufactured. You will have the rims you love.

Still buy the aftermarket set, and you will have summer and winter wheels.

Make sure to tell the dealer that you need a loaner vehicle while your rims are being remanufactured.

Cheers,
J

Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 AM

91, It looks as if I may be doing something like that. I thought that the Ford dealer would install the new wheels and tires I picked out for free if I gave them the factory Aruba wheels. Which is a bad deal on my part because those wheels I picked out are only worth a small fraction of the value of the factory wheels and I am assuming the risk of any future suspension problems due to the after market wheels being a slightly different size. However, the dealer wanted me to pay $400 and give them the factory wheels. Ridiculous! I told them that I would give them $400 but I keep the Arubas (Still a bad deal on my part, but I want to get this over with.) They said no. So, I told them that I was going to take them to small claims court. I will do it, too. I would rather go down swinging than let these guys bend me over any further. Anyway, that seemed to scare them a little so they said they would get back to me tomorrow and let me know what they will do.

So, who knows what will happen tomorrow. I did suggest that they send the Arubas to Nashville to be straightened, but that will cost them almost as much as buying the new after market wheels and they will have to give me a loaner while that is being done, so who knows...

I do not think I should have to pay a cent for any of this because I specifically asked about the tires and wheels before I took delivery of the car and I was told that they had been inspected, balanced, rotated and they were all good. But, it looks like I may have to spend some money which makes me sad because I have that money set aside for a new 50" plasma TV. I will keep you guys posted and thanks again for everyone's input!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your hassle. If I remember correct, the Arubas are like a $2000 option. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I giuss that is a lesson to get everything they say in writing before you sign on the dotted line. And maybe not take delievery of the car until they do everything they say. Sad commentary on how some (and I stress SOME) dealers operate, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to protect yourself.

Good luck and hope it turns out favorably to you. Don't let them bully you!!!