X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel alignment

i ricently changed the front shocks and the with the bearings on top of the shocks (don't know the name ) since then i have a vibration in the steering wheel at speeds over 60 and a slight pull to the right . At first i taught it was the tires (they were beat up) and change all 4 with new ones. the problem is still there . i went to make the wheel alignment and the guy ther said that on the fornt right wheel he can't do the wheel alignment becouse the shock absorber dosen't come sraight or something like that ( he wasn't sure ). can a new shock absorber ( sachs ) be brocken from the factory or it is something else ? any ideas?
the car is a 2006 2.0 diesel with normal suspention . i think the top bearing thing was ford oem . my mechanic works on a ford dealer service .

Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

sarsa89, first off, welcome to JF. You will find a lot of useful information here and people willing to tell you things straight up. We also pride ourselves in being a better car group. As part of this, we like to get to know one another. So, when you have a chance, please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem, if the front wheels are not pointing exactly straight forward and/or straight up and down, yes, you will get the wobble that you are talking about. common issue with the X-Type. As for not being able to align the wheel, it is very possible that you got a strut (front shock) that was not manufactured correctly. The bearing on top (called a strut bearing) could possibly be your issue to, but it would need to be manufacturered with an offset. This would be visible if you open the hood/bonnet and look at the top of the strut bearing. There will be a hole in the body to access the top of the strut (there is a nut there). That nut should be centered in that opening. If it is offset, then your problem is the strut bearing. Granted, I would think that if you have an issue on one side with the strut bearing, you would have the same problem on the other side.

I am not thinking that it is the strut bearing itself as the X-Type and Ford Mondeo share a lot of common parts (one being the strut bearing). So, the strut bearing should be good. This leads you back to either a bad shock or when the mechanic replaced the struts, he damaged the lower control arm bushing. If you look under the car, just behind the front wheel, you will see a large metal arm that attaches to the wheel and then the body of the car. The bolt going through the bushing should be centered in the bushing. If not, there is your problem.

Hopefully this gives you some things to check so you can figure out exactly what is wrong so you can get the correct thing fixed the first time and not play a "lets replace this part and see if it fixes things" game.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (08-12-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for yout awnser .i will check all those things, your replay is very helpful, hope i will figure it out.