X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel bearing help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wheel bearing help!

checked posts on wheel bearing replacement, done, now I have a dsc fault, abs fault and check engine . Help. what did I do?!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: wheel bearing help!

Did the car throw any codes at you from the check engine light?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

double check to ensure you plugged everything back the correct way.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM

that's what I was going to check, and to previous post, no, threw codes after, it started with abs light, then dsc fault, then a minute later engine , drove, no limp mode, was thinking didnt seat abs wheel sensor correctly, sound right? and thanks, Bill

Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are talking about a front wheel bearing the magnetic reluctor is built into the bearing and has to be installed with the magnetic part facing in towards the engine. If it is backwards the sensor wont be able to pick up wheel speed and set the light as soon as the car moves and yes abs wheel speed codes do turn on the check engine light as the ECM uses wheel speed for calculations. If you look at you old bearing you will probably see on one side metal dust sticking to it in a spaced pattern, that's the reluctor. Unfortunately, that is the most likely cause of your problem. The bearing will have to be removed and either turned around if not damaged or replaced if the removal tears it up.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let me know what your issue was as I'm in the same boat. I bought my car with the DCS light on and I've put about 10,000mi on without issue. Just recently however my ABS and check engine light have come on randomly however the car still runs fine, just without ABS. I haven't gotten the codes checked yet, but I'll put money down that your problem is my problem. I've been guessing wheel sensor, but since the car has been running fine I've put this project on the back burner for now. Anyone know anything about the computer switching languages on them? Mine used to read "Range" now it reads "Bereik" haha. It randomly switched after I got an alinement I'm not sure if it had something to do with the alinement machine and it's lasers threw something outta wack or if this is something I could change myself. Thanks for the help.
Name:  IMG00229.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  10.0 KB

Mike

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM

Well here's a link to check out a pic of what it looks like. http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...a/IMG00229.jpg

Mike

Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

You shud always replace the vertical link assembly for $30-40 more save a lot of time .

Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Wheel bearings are in correct,still showing codes.Can i clear it with out going to the dealer?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: billinohio

Wheel bearings are in correct,still showing codes.Can i clear it with out going to the dealer?
You can probably clear the codes but they will come right back because you seem to have a hard failure that is
causing them. It was the front wheel bearing(s) you replaced or the rearyou did not say.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 PM

both front bearings, and link assembly, drove it for 50 miles. still have lights and message center telling me dsc, along with abs and check engine light, haven't done wheel alignment yet, what could it be, and I saw only one way to put bearing in. Thanks, Bill 02 xtype sport. 80k miles

Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 PM

Do you think the DCS thing could just be a fault in the actual computer? I was hoping that was the case with mine as I haven't been able to bring it to a dealership yet because the closest one to me is about 2hrs+ away. I had a shop near me try and pull the code for the DCS problem and they said that they got some other codes, but were unable to get anything related to DCS. Only the most frustrating.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM

you said you got a new code trip when you did alignment?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

OK....so lets back up here. Why did you replace both front wheel bearings? An alingnment is not going to get rid of those codes. Were you getting those messages prior to doing the front bearings??? Lots of expertise here but you need to post more detailed info and if possible go to a parts store and have them scan the ECM for the fault codes.

Does the cruise control work? Is your speedometer reading correctly?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM

no no no an alinement has nothing to do with codes, but for some reason after having an alinement done on my car it changed the language in the car. I know this sounds crazy, but I took it in, thing was fine and

when it came out, where it would normally read "RANGE" it reads "BEREIK." I am just curios if anyone knows how to change this back to English. I mean wtf could they have done to cause this to happen? I just

threw this into this tread because I'm having the exact same problems as bill, Check engine light, ABS light, and a DCS system fault. So I'm looking forward to seeing what resolves this issue so I can do the

same. I tried to have a shop near me pull the DCS codes, but they were unable to they said it would have to be done at the dealer. Apparently they got some other codes, but nothing DCS related.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...a/IMG00229.jpg

Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM

I have no idea why, but I've never been able to post pics here. Just click the 2nd link and see what you make of it. Also to clarify I haven't done anything wheel bearing related one day my dash just lit up like x-mas.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM

car starts making grinding noise, I know the sound so since ihave replaced wheel bearings in the past on other cars thought it would be easy, replace both front wheel bearings and link assembly, put the car back together, went to test drive, codes pop up , and grinding noise is gone, did I put the speed sensor back in wrong, the wheel bearing only goes in one way, so not sure what I did .

Old 01-23-2009, 01:44 PM

A generic scan tool should pull the codes as most ABS/DSC codes are also set in the ECM because the ECM uses wheel speed data for a lot of calculations. For the most part only DSC codes like steering wheel angle or brake pressure transducer codes will be stored in the ABS/DSC module only and will require a more advanced scan tool. When you say you replaced the "link" assembly are you talking about the steering knuckle or the speed sensor link lead? Perhaps you got the wrong bearings from the parts supplier because im certain that x-type front wheel bearings can be installed backwards. I've corrected many like that from independent shops and a couple from other techs in my building(oops!!). The only way to be certain it is in correctly is to check for magnetism on the inner surface where the bearing meets the axle shaft.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:39 AM

real jag tech. bingo! was sold the wrong bearings! can't believe it! so will replace with bearings from jag, local parts guys said the bearings were right, but didn't see any "magnetic pattern" . what should I look for, these looked like any bearing I've replaced in the past, can anyone get me a picture? is there an obvious difference?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 AM

Going from memory as I'm at the computer at home but I remember the Jag bearing having a black side and a silver side. The black side should be the magnetic side if memory serves. They are highly magnetic, just hold some ferrous metal near the bearing and you should be able to determine which side is which. Remember the magnetic side faces toward the cars center line.

Quick Reply: wheel bearing help!