Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the V-Belt on x-type?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the V-Belt on x-type?

Hello,

Where is the V-Belt on x-type? Maybe you can help me with a photo, please?

Patrick

Old 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well...you can't miss it....Ray Charles can see it...

The water pump belt is in the rear of the engine, right side when standing in front of the vehicle.

And of course the main serpentine belt is on the left side.....

Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 PM

Its on the passenger side. To reach it, you have to remove the front passenger wheel and remove the inner wheel cover. If you break the small plastic screws, you can obtain spares from dealer, homedepot, or auto store. If you are working under your car, you will need to buy or use a thin ratchet to move the belt tensioner down towards you so that you can release the tension. I have read other posts stating that you can unscrew the belt tensioner with a 13mm socket to remove the belt. This is true, but not a good idea if you have no experiance like myself. I removed the belt tensioner and when I tried to bolt it back on, I did not know about the two nipples that had to be aligned with two holes before you can screw the idler pulley. Long story short, I bent the bolt when I tried to screw the belt tensioner back on. The dealer does not sell the bolt by it self. I had to buy a new belt tensioner. I guess it was a good thing because the belt tensioner design changed. I ended up rethreading the hole with a tap. Luckily, I was able to screw the new belt tensioner back properly.

There is a special idler pulley tool you can buy or rent from autozone, which is basically a thin 3/8 breaker bar. I bought the tool, but it did me no good. There is no room to attached the special tool to the belt tensioner 3/8 hole. You can almost fit it in the 3/8 hole, but you run out of room to bend the tool. I read another post where someone cut and rewelded the special tool to make an angle tool. Others have posted that there ratchet fit fine. I tried my original ratchet, and it was too fat to fit. I went to Home Depot and saw a Huskey Brand Ratchet that was thin and gave it a shot. The Huskey Brand Thin Ratchet worked great!

Attached Thumbnails Where is the V-Belt on x-type?-x-typeserpentinebeltdiagram.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM

Its on the passenger side. To reach it, you have to remove the front passenger wheel and remove the inner wheel cover. If you break the small plastic screws, you can obtain spares from dealer, homedepot, or auto store. If you are working under your car, you will need to buy or use a thin ratchet to move the belt tensioner down towards you so that you can release the tension. I have read other posts stating that you can unscrew the belt tensioner with a 13mm socket to remove the belt. This is true, but not a good idea if you have no experiance like myself. I removed the belt tensioner and when I tried to bolt it back on, I did not know about the two nipples that had to be aligned with two holes before you can screw the belt tensioner. Long story short, I bent the bolt when I tried to screw the belt tensioner back on. The dealer does not sell the bolt by it self. I had to buy a new belt tensioner. I guess it was a good thing because the belt tensioner design changed. I ended up rethreading the hole with a tap. Luckily, I was able to screw the new belt tensioner back properly.

There is a special idler pulley tool you can buy or rent from autozone, which is basically a thin 3/8 breaker bar. I bought the tool, but it did me no good. There is no room to attached the special tool to the belt tensioner 3/8 hole. You can almost fit it in the 3/8 hole, but you run out of room to bend the tool. I read another post where someone cut and rewelded the special tool to make an angle tool. Others have posted that there ratchet fit fine. I tried my original ratchet, and it was too fat to fit. I went to Home Depot and saw a Huskey Brand Ratchet that was thin and gave it a shot. The Huskey Brand Thin Ratchet worked great!

Joe
175k+
2003 X-Type V6 2.5