X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here actually has a wood dash kit that matches??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who here actually has a wood dash kit that matches??

I ordered a wood dash kit from B&I and the color wasn't even close.
The distributer carid.com claims that they checked with all their manufacturers and
None have a kit that matches my color. I find that absolutely impossible to believe.
If none match why the heck do they all claim to match? Anyway, I need to find a match and
I need help. I have an 05 x type with the tan leather interior and the same wood that every x type I've ever seen has. I thought someone once called it sapele.
If anyone can help if really appreciate it because this is frustrating. Oh, and this is a jag built for the U.S.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

These are 2 of the 3 wood-tones used, the 3rd being gray-stained.

Attached Thumbnails Who here actually has a wood dash kit that matches??-wood-type.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a comparison of what I have versus what they shipped me. They claim that this is the factory match. Does anyone know of a company that can get this right??

Attached Thumbnails Who here actually has a wood dash kit that matches??-image.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Meh, that's not even close.

Did you try the email address here?

Matching wood is horribly hard. I'm still looking for an ashtray + gear surround that match the rest of the veneer, before commissioning a wooden gear knob that fits the manual gearbox, to hopefully match.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (03-28-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Have you checked on used panels? Over time, the sun will fade the color a bit and no new panel will match.

Stuart Beattie (03-27-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

As mentioned , your original wood is now 9 yrs old, so heat, cold, A/C , light & sun have taken their toll on the colour....

Old 01-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Matching wood is horribly hard. I'm still looking for an ashtray + gear surround that match the rest of the veneer
Me too. My car came with ashtray + gear surround veneer but it does not match. It is a significantly darker veneer.
I believe it is as originally supplied with all other parts matching.

I was quoted about £300+ ( $450 ) last year. If I do treat myself I then have the task of asking the spares department to show me them in the car and if they do not match then tell them to try again as I am not paying for another mismatch.

Sapelle Pommelle seems to be quite rare in the UK so my chances of finding the parts are equally rare.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

As reyesl and Five Speed mentioned, sun fade is likely...One of the ashtray + gear surround combinations I've bought on eBay that is too light in tone has a large "winged badge"-shaped darker area in the middle of the ashtray lid, which would suggest the previous owner of the car had some sort of a sticker or badge on it until the car was sold as parts.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I've seen some Jaguars with mis-matched wood panels and I believe that some came from the factory like that. Strange. One was a S-Type VDP. Walnut throughout the car except on the dash!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneCountyBill
I've seen some Jaguars with mis-matched wood panels and I believe that some came from the factory like that. Strange. One was a S-Type VDP. Walnut throughout the car except on the dash!
Jaguar have always been very proud of their matched veneers. It's been a feature of the vehicles since the 1950's.

Apart from fading or repairs, any vehicle that doesn't have a matched set is likely to have been partially changed after it came off the line by a Dealer or PO.

Graham

Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

As GGG said, and I would also be fairly wary of buying a car with mismatched veneer, especially so if the seller can't explain the reason behind that. I can't imagine anyone would add mismatching veneer voluntarily, so all I could think of is an accident in the past.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

The X-Type, like every Jaguar, left the factory with all wood pieces matching. If you have or see one with mis-matched pieces, that is because some pieces have been replaced. Various woods were used for the X-Type: Bird's-eye maple, Sapele, and Walnut, depending on year and model.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 AM

The X-Type, like every Jaguar, left the factory with all wood pieces matching. If you have or see one with mis-matched pieces, that is because some pieces have been replaced. Various woods were used for the X-Type: Bird's-eye maple, Sapele, and Walnut, depending on year and model.
I bought my X type directly from the one private previous owner ( who had it from new.) The ashtray and gear surround do not match the rest of the wood.
The colour is significantly darker than the rest of the wood.

The car was specified with a wooden steering wheel but no mention of the two mismatched bits.
Perhaps these two bits were changed later but no mention of this in the documents. If they were changed by the main dealer then the dealer did a poor job. I will never know but I suspect my irritation with the mismatch will force me to pay a lot for replacement parts.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

I've checked the Parts Catalogue to see exactly how Jaguar supply the Veneer on the X-Type.

This model is unusual in that the Veneer is supplied as a two part set:

1. Facia Panel veneer kit
2. Centre Console veneer kit

Who here actually has a wood dash kit that matches??-x-type-veneer.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Within these sets, each is available in the following finishes:

Piano Black
Grey Stained Maple
Sapelle Pommelle
Walnut
Carbon Fibre

A vehicle will leave the factory with veneer of the same finish (e.g. a walnut facia with a walnut console).

The veneer on the two sections of the facia will be from a single piece so the pattern is consistent across the dash. The veneer on the two sections of the console will be from another single piece so its pattern is consistent.

However, it is likely that the grain on both facia and console will not be identical even though the type of finish is.

Graham

Old 03-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Yes it's a challenge!

Once again fellow enthusiasts and collectors,

It's a shame that many companies and sellers do not take the time to match items before taking ... well YOUR MONEY!!!

Henryk, if these are anywhere near a good match for you, pm me and we can strike a deal and I can send you more images, they are from my previous X Type and are in good order.

Good Luck Harry and if I were you, your Babe deserves the very best!!!
Regards, Stu

Attached Thumbnails Who here actually has a wood dash kit that matches??-dscf1066.jpg  

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 03-27-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Trying too insert picture **
carlosvela1520 (02-07-2017)
Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 PM

This model is unusual in that the Veneer is supplied as a two part set:
1. Facia Panel veneer kit
2. Centre Console veneer kit
The veneer on the two sections of the console will be from another single piece so its pattern is consistent.

However, it is likely that the grain on both facia and console will not be identical even though the type of finish is.
Graham thanks for that info.

This probably accounts for the console parts matching each other but not matching the remainder of the trim.

I now really believe all is as originally delivered.
Strangely on the " Vehicle Details sheet:-
* Wood/leather Strg Wheel
but no mention of the console wood.

When I last enquired re replacing the console wood the main dealer spares department guy took a deep breath and told me £300+
Both the Walnut and the Sapelle are the same price and are the most expensive finish.
It now looks that if I ask the dealer to get the parts there is very small chance that I will get a reasonable colour match.
With the above information it is almost impossible to reject what is offered and request "Try again?". All very disappointing.
I had a look at some old photos from cars for sale and they too seem to have a mis-match in wood colour.

Stu. Thank you for your kind offer. I think it is a different wood grain.
I will have a look over the weekend.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Sorry Henryk,

If you are quick, I spotted this
JAGUAR X-TYPE 2.0 2.1 2.5 3.0 DASH BOARD ASH TRAY WOOD TRIM VENEER BREAKING | eBay

And this will take some perusing but good luck, hang in there! Stu

jaguar X Type wood trim | eBay

Old 01-26-2017, 04:41 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

How do you separate the veneer that is attached to the ashtray assembly from the black plastic ashtray mechanism? I bought a working ashtray assembly and while the wood veneer on it is beautiful it isn't even close to the rest of my interior. I want to remove the veneer pieces and put my wood on the working plastic mechanism.

There appear to be 4 clips or "legs" securing the veneer to the plastic but begins I go twisting and pushing on them I wanted to ask how it attaches

Old 01-26-2017, 03:15 PM

Here are pictures of the backside of the ashtray door assembly. Note the four Silver pieces which seem like they secure the veneer wood piece to the plastic. This is what I would like to ask has anyone ever removed the veneer piece in this way

Old 01-27-2017, 05:14 AM

I found this on EBay described as a new Ashtray assembly and it comes without the veneer insert installed. Note the four empty slots to receive the 4metal orings of the veneer insert piece. So I will work up a strategy to pry those prongs free of how they clip in and reports back

Jaguar X-Type Ashtray C2S36946 NEW | eBay

Quick Reply: Who here actually has a wood dash kit that matches??