X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windescreen

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windescreen

I am having an issue that smells like an electrical fire in my 2002 Jaguar X type with the 3.0l v6. I can't track it down but the only time i actually smell it is when im outside of the vehicle. It almost looked like the smoke was coming from my exhaust but I don't think it was. It happens every time almost immediately after starting it. Car doesn't even have to be warm. I read in a post something about pulling a fuse from the "windscreen" im not sure what that is. I am assuming it is the nav screen but i dont see why that would cause the smell outside of the car.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I'd hazard a guess that you actually have a small oil leak at the pan, which is dripping onto your exhaust when you park the car. When you start it up, it cooks off.

Oddly enough, it does smell like burning electrical insulation.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

That's what I was thinking. Did you recently have the oil changed or any other work done to the car?

Or could it maybe be a belt starting to go? Or maybe like a burning rubber kind of smell?

Do you have any kind of symptom in the performance of the car, any lights on the dash, any unusual noises? If something electrical is to the point where it is producing smoke I would think there would be some symptom that showed when driving it.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

In answer to your original question "windscreen" is the Queens English for either the front or rear windows. Side windows are "curtains" The pulling of a fuse would be to remove power to the windscreen heaters is so equipped.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default SCREEN

Originally Posted by avern1
In answer to your original question "windscreen" is the Queens English for either the front or rear windows. Side windows are "curtains" The pulling of a fuse would be to remove power to the windscreen heaters is so equipped.
Sorry my friend but here in the UK where we speak the proper Queens English like what you should, the side ones are side screens.

The following users liked this post:
avern1 (09-10-2017)