X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement Question

So I was driving home today and suddenly heard a loud bang - the windshield on the right (passenger's side) was broken. At first I thought something hit the windshield, but after looking at it, it appears that the fracture started under the right side trim and emanated from there. Anyway, it looks like I will need a new windshield. The good news is that the insurance will cover the whole cost. When I set up the appointment they gave me a choice of about 10 different windshield options. I chose the one with rain sensors (I know I have that), auto-dimming mirror but not the heated windshield. I figured that since I don't have the button for a heated windshield, I don't have that option - is that correct? It is a later model 2004.
The other concern is whether there are even new windshields available given that the car is 14 years old. And is it in stock, or will they have to ship it from far, far way?

Old 08-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I am in Australia, and recently had my windshield replaced, also under insurance. I went with a company named Windscreens O'Brien, who ordered a new one with the same specifications as yours (i.e. rain sensing wipers auto-dimming mirror, and no heated windshield). Yes, if you don't have a switch for it, it isn't fitted. If it was, you would also be able to see the element fittings at the bottom edge of the window, I would assume - that is how the windscreen bloke double-checked mine. He ordered it and it was in the workshop within 3 or 4 days - no problems. They have become so very good at replacements these days and, other than having a beautiful clear screen, there is no sign that it was replaced.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Just put your wipers on automatic and throw a cup of water on it after installation to make sure they hooked it up right. My nephew just had one done in a different car with rain sensing and checked it when he got home. It didn't work and had to take it back to get it fixed. The glass company was not overly happy pulling out a brand new install to fix their own goof up. Before he left the 2nd time, he threw a glass full of water on it to make sure it worked, lol. Again glass company was not happy = not supposed to get it wet for "X" time to assure glue set. Oh well........

Old 08-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I was surprised...two suppliers around me have them in stock. Just a note: the Pilkington is much less likely to get chinged up than the OEM Sekurit glass.

It seems that the Sekurit starts taking a real beating from ozone and UV much more quickly.

You might also find that your car is wired for the heated glass, even if you don't have the separate dash switch (apparently mine works on the main defrost button, along with the mirrors...I've REALLY grown to appreciate heated mirrors!). You can look in the compartment where your wiper motor and cabin air filter are to see if you have the connections. The car was also wired for the rain sensors, adding the right glass and mirror took care of that.

By the way, if you need a new headliner and you have a dry place to store the car for a couple of days, pay the extra few dollars, have them remove the old glass, then you can pull your headliner, get it done, and replace it before you have the new glass put in!

The following users liked this post:
sawduster (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the info. It's good to know they are still a stock item. I never thought about it before, but if you buy an older/classic car, needing a new windshield could really cause you some grief. Given that, I wonder how many X-types are still on the road in the US today? I see them for sale periodically but also see a lot of them being sold as parts cars.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Electrically heated windshields are common on European cars, not so on US cars. It's nice to quickly de-ice the windshield electrically instead of waiting for the engine & coolant is get hot.

The OEM windshield in my US X-Type was not electrically heated. After a stone cracked it, I replaced the windshield with one that is electrically heated. The car is pre-wired with 2 electrical connectors by the windshield wiper motors. As I recall (it's been a few years), I installed a relay in the fuse box by the battery to energize the windshield heating element when the front defrost button is turned on.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

What size, type, location of relay?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 PM

Dell: In my 2002, the windshield heater relay is R2 in the power distribution box, by the battery. Also in that box F13 is a 30A fuse to the right side windshield heater, and F15 is a 30A fuse to the left side of the windshield.

In a 2004, mid-year and newer, the windshield heater relay is R6 in the power distribution box, by the battery, and the fuses are F14 for the right side windshield heater, and F15 for the left side, both 30A.

I don't know if your 2006 uses the same relay as my 2002. Perhaps a European owner can tell us the windshield heater relay part # for your 2006.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:50 PM

Dell: Might be Ford 70A relay part # F80B-14B192-AA. Hopefully a European X-Type owner can confirm.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Thx, I assume in the next year or so (sooner if I get a rock) I'll be replacing the windshield. It's pretty pitted & if those hookups are existing, I'd like to have them. The winters are pretty harsh here. Just like gotta love those heated seats!!

Old 09-03-2018, 07:18 AM

Here are pictures of the electrically heated windshield being installed by SafeLite in my 2002 X-Type. Like most US cars, the factory original windshield was not electrically heated. Fortunately, our US X-Types are pre-wired for an electrically heated windshield because this feature is common on cars in Europe.