X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wiper fails - mid snow storm 18"

Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield wiper fails - mid snow storm 18"

The windshield wipers stopped working as I was trying to get out of the drive to go to the post office just as 18" of snow was falling. The wiper motor works, I can hear it.
Dennis Black says " read my thread ...(my x-type projects and installs) page 9.. i have a write up... but if your motor still works it could be the 13mm bolts came loose on the wiper transmision " but I cannot find it, the thread yes but no mention of the wiper stuff. Nor any other relevant info.
Anyone have any advice? HELP!
TIA Stephen

Old 02-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You will need to remove the wiper arms and then the cowl cover beneath the arms to access the wiper motor linkages.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:40 AM

I should have been more explicit. I found the references about removing the wiper arms, cowl, etc. What I was trying to find was a the cause of the problem, wiper motor runs but blades are stationary. What is the fix for that, new wiper motor and assembly or something simpler?

So, my wife looked up our model, 04 3.0 low mileage, in pretty good condition, on Kelly and found that the value of the car is somewhere in the $2,000 range. I had it my mind to keep the car longer. It is good looking, comfortable, drives well and the economics of repair seemed to outweigh the cost of a new vehicle. But now, the costs of repair are beginning to overwhelm. And I am getting older and am less inclined to do repairs. Elsewhere on this site I described the dreaded defrost-only-air problem that would require removal of the heater box from under the dash, a $1000 +/- expense. And trouble seems to be occurring more frequently. East end of Long Island, NY if anyone interested.
S

Old 02-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

The bracket that moves the arms is bolted to the end of the wiper motor. The nut has either come loose or fallen off maybe.
Follow the link below to Jagrepair website and scroll down to the Body Torque Specification and down load the PDF file. In section 5 you will find the info and pictures of the mechanism.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 PM

Well, I did it, fixed! Took me longer than it should have, but that was the consequence of doing it the first time. It was a loose nut - no lock washer. Why?

I did have trouble aligning the wipers because the motor rotor orientation/wiper position was lost when it started slipping. That accounted for the time it took.

For lifting the wiper arms off the posts I had a set of Horror Freight gear pullers but they were too big/clumsy to be of use. I used ViseGrips with the jaws opened most of the way that allowed me to get the bottom jaw under the wiper arm base and the upper jaw on top of the threaded post. Not pretty, but effective.

Avern. I did not know that kind of info was available. Good source. Thank you,
S

Old 02-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

If you go back to the web site and download the other sections you will have yourself a pretty complete tech manual.
Happy to hear you got it sorted out.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

the thread i made was for issues i ran into and fixed them and show you guys how to fix it with out braking the bank , what i wrote was that the wiper did not have the delay working theirs a relay that goes bad replacing the wiper transmission fixes that

Old 02-13-2017, 08:51 AM

Dennis
I have seen some of your postings and recognize that my experience falls way behind yours which is probably why I do not understand exactly what you are referring to. Thank you for your contributions.

So, could you be more explicit? Were you referring to the "wiper alignment?" The motor works and the wipers return to the same position when I turn the wipers off. I think they do not return quite to the original position closer to the bottom of the windshield. I can live with that, better than no wipers. I could not find a photo or information about how to align the position of the 'transmission parallelogram arms' with the off position of the motor.
S

Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lining up the mechanism properly is key so direction and travel is correct. Keep windshield dirty so travel of blades can be seen. Otherwise you'll get a click as they slap the A pillar or the cowl.