X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winshield Washer elec?

Old 08-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winshield Washer elec?

After purhcasing a new washer pump and filter gasket I can't figure what the electirical issue is. Fuses are good, grounds good. I have power at both the pump connector terminals when the washer switch is depressed on stalk. When pressing washer button on stalk, wipers work and I have voltage on vertical terminal and horizontal terminal is dead (no voltage).

When electrical connector is attached at pump and press button on stalk no wipers and no wash pump.

Could this be a bad relay? Or a bad new part? I swapped relay in main fuse box at engine with same results.

Any help is appreciated. This electrical stuff is a nightmare.

Thanks
Doug

Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,821 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Doug, what year car do you have? I will look at the diagrams and help you out. I have a few tricks that I will have you try once you tell me the year of your car. I have a sneaking suspicion of what is going on.

The following users liked this post:
Doug Sailer (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Default 2004 3.0 Sport

Thanks Thermo. I hope you can assit me in narrowing down the issue.

Doug

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Hey Thermo, I have a 2004 3.0 Sport. I am wondering if the float switch has anything to do with it? I put a new float switch in a year ago and it functions just fine. Would the pump electrical terminal need to be connected to the pump before the connector is attached at float switch? Just a thought.
Thanks so much for your assistance.
Doug

Old 08-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Default 2004 3.0 Sport

Originally Posted by Thermo
Doug, what year car do you have? I will look at the diagrams and help you out. I have a few tricks that I will have you try once you tell me the year of your car. I have a sneaking suspicion of what is going on.
Thermo,

I wired straight 12 volts to washer pump and it works fine. The connector reads + volts on both pins until you press in wash switch on wiper stalk. This causes one of the pin connectors (I assume negative ground) to go dead. Is this what is supposed to happen? I mean create a ground terminal when switch is pushed in. Pump just doesn't run in this scenario.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.
Doug

Old 08-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,821 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Doug, yes, when you want to wash the windshield, when you push the Wash button, it should ground the one side of the pump and make it operate. Out of curiousity, if you pull back on the wiper stalk, does it give you a swipe of the wipers? If no, then your problem lies with the ground wire coming out of the wiper stalk. If you get a swipe of the wipers, then the next step would be to put a multimeter from the green/red wire to chassis ground. When you are not using the pump, it should read 12 VDC (13.5 if the motor is running) and when you go to use the pump, it should drop to 0 VDC. If it remains at 12 VDC, then you have either a bad wiper stalk (ie, the wash button on the end is broken or you have a bad wire between the pump motor and the wiper stalk. You can prove the wire good by doing the following: Pull fuse F9 (I am assuming you have a later 2004 vehicle as the wiring changed part way through the 2004 MY) and then at the pump, run a temporary wire from the green/red wire to the black wire (pins 2 and 3) at the wiper stalk (will need to pull the bottom half of the steering column off). If the pump runs here, then this pretty much confirms you have a bad wiper stalk. if it doesn't, then you have a wiring issue between the pump and the stalk.