Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Dave's wiring harness???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Dave's wiring harness???

Hey guys,
Eariler this year, I started working on the stereo of my 02 sport. I asked a lot of questions here and got a lot of great answers. Then...everything came to a screeching halt when a good friend of mine got in a very bad car accident (in his wife's mini van on his way to work), and he and his family needed help with physical therapy, etc. so I had to put my car project aside for a while. Now that he's all good, I'm ready to get back into this.

I have so many quesitons that I have been thinking about over the last few months. But before I ask them, let me explain what I am trying to do. First, my car has the standard stereo,(non navigation). with 4 speakers in the doors. I have replaced those with Polks. I was going to get an amp for the trunk and a 5 channel amp to power the doors and a sub. Then the accident with my friend happened. I have since changed my idea of using the 5 channel amp and decided to basically upgrade to the premium audio package. I bought the alpine amp that comes with the 2004 X-types with premium audio. That amp adds DSP and sub woofer level adjustment to the factory head unit menu.

After doing some research on how to hook this amp up, I see that a user here, X-dave, is way ahead of me and has already been producing the harness to wire the amp in a plug and play fashion. I have sent him an email but haven't heard back and I am not sure if he is even still making them. I would gladly buy it. Before realizing that Xdave had it all figured out, I did my own in car research and figure out how to wire it. I have the whole thing figured out (with the exception of the D2B fiber cable).

So...here are my questions:
1. Does anyone know if Xdave still makes them? Has anyone gotten one from him recently???
2. Does anyone know where Xdave gets the plastic plugs at the end of the harnesses that match the factory Jaguar ones? I could make the harness myself if Xdave isn't anymore if I knew where to get the parts and the part numbers. I am particularly interested in the ones he uses that plug into the amp.
3. Does anyone know what D2B cable is needed to hook up to the amp and a part number?

Thanks for any help guys. I realize the factory amp isn't going to blow me away but it won't sound bad with the polks in the doors and a small sub in the trunk. It will be good enough anyway.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: X-Dave's wiring harness???

Hey...
I did that swap a few years back, I have a few pics posted if you do a search i'm sure you'll find it.

i have the wiring harness that splices into the doubledin radio to match the factory wires so not cutting required.

PM if interested. I also have the factory rear SUB for the premium stereo that bolts to the rear deack. (no amp)

thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. Check your pm when you get a chance.
Thanks,
Paul

Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Did, done, replied. in that order too.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I was at X-Daves house in the summer in Devon,England to try and fix a (minor) problem with my system.
I understandhe hasnt been well lately and has been in hospital and its been a while since he posted on forums that I use.
He made a number of wiring harnesses for us on the .co.uk forum and I understand it that each one took around 10 hours by the time it was made and tested thoroughly.
He also made harnessesfor other upgrades like adding Sat Nav screen.
He has alsobeen upgrading his XJ (4 seatclimate control etc).
There are different D2B leads depending on if you have one or more options like Nav,telephone module,CD changer,amp in the boot so maybe your dealer could supply the right one depending on what is needed to be connected at the end of your upgrade.Luckily for me XDaves harness also came witha new D2B to enable the amp to be plugged into the D2B loop.I sent him my old D2B cable in p/ex.
Maybe Racer could be your best bet.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 PM

BuckMR2,
First, thanks for the reply and the update. I am so sorry to hear that Xdave has been in the hospital a lot lately. I wish him the best and hope that he recovers soon. He's obviously asuper generous person with the amount of knowledge he has shared on the forums.

He has shared enough info that I think I got this figured out for the most part but I still have some questions. Maybe you can help with the post I made on the UK forum today?

After looking at the schematics and pics of Xdave's harness, I can make the harness on my own. I have the amp and am ready to go.

Here are my questions:
1. Can anyone give me the part numbers and/or a place to get them for the plugs (the plastic connectors) that XDave uses at the ends of the wiring harness. I am especially looking for the side that snaps into the amplifier. I don't care if the source to get those parts is in the UK or US. I will gladly pay for help getting these connectors.
(I think I got this worked out as I will order the harnesses that come out of the amp from Jag and then cut them for my needs.)

2. My car currently only has the cd changer in the boot and wiring for the phone module (which I don't have). Basically, the D2B network comes from the cabin harness and goes into the cd changer. So, I ordered the link lead for the cd changer, navigation, phone to replace the single link lead so now I can plug in 3 things. One will again be used by the cd changer, so that leaves me with 2 empty ones. Can one of them be used for the amplifier?

3. I plan on upgrading to the touchscreen if I can ever find one here and that will use up the third plug (on the D2B) . While it's not in use, do I need to remove that plug so that there is only connections for the cd changer and amp or does Jag make something that snaps on the end of one of the plugs to just continue the feed so it acts like it's not even there?

4. It looks like the output for the front speakers coming out of the amplifier is the full sound range since it's split in-line (after it leaves the amp) to the mid bass and tweeters. I am assuming that the factory tweeters have a capacitor on them to eliminate the bass. However, the rear tweeters and mid bass have seperate outputs. I am wondering if the there is a crossover in the amp for the rears or if the rears use the same tweeters as the fronts with the capacitors in them. I ask because I don't have rear tweeters, but I have full range Polks in the door. Do I feed them with the tweeter output or the mid bass output?

Sorry for all the questionsand I certainly appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

All I can say is the D2B cable needs to have no unused connectors as they all need to be connected to form a loop.Different cables are availble with different numbers of connectors depending on what number of modules you need to connect to it.
I heard the amp has its own crossovers built in (might have read it on this forum?)
Doesnt the .co.uk site not mention where he got the connectors from?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Default RE:

No, he mentions the connnections types on his sat/nav retrofit instructions but not the premium sound.

That makes sense about the D2B cables. I will just remove one of theconnections so I have the proper amount.

As far as the amp goes, my guess is that if there is a crossover in it, it's for the rears and not the fronts. I will figure that out whenI hook everything up.

Thanks for your help,
Paul

Old 10-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Default RE: RE:

Just to revive this thread and to supply some info for anyone who may be interested...

I have completed this project and the sound is so much better than the original factory set up. I figured out how to make the harness after looking at the schematics and found the connectors to hook the harness up to the amp on an older Jag.

Just to review this project:

Basically, my car is 02 X-type sport, non-nav, non premium stereo. The car came with just the 4 door speakers. I replaced the door speakers with Polks, put a kicker 10" truck sub (to save room for my golf clubs) and put the newer model factory Jaguar amp in the trunk to power it. By doing so, I now have two additional settings on the factory head unit. One is for DSP sound positioning and another is for sub level.

Some answers to some of the questions I answered are as follows:
There IS a crossover built into the amp. There are seperate outputs from the amp for front tweeters and front mid bass. I hooked the front tweeter outputs up to my full range front door speakers and it was nothing but treble. I then hooked the mid bass output to the front full range speakers and there was no treble but there was bass. So, I decided if I combine both negatives from the outputs and both positives from the outputs, the speaker in the front door should be receiving the full range. Well, the amp didn't like that and the sound was all broken up. Then I took only the positive from the mid bass output and the negative from the tweeter output and hooked them up to the front door speaker and that gave me the full range. A project in the future will be to replace the front door speakers with just a mid bass speaker and put seperate tweeters in the A pillars up front. I won't need a crossover since it's built in the amp.

The signal to the rear speakers is full range coming out of the amp.

There are two sub outputs. I took a postive from one and a negative from the other and hooked them up to the sub box with the single 10" kicker sub. I tried all sorts of configurations and finally decided that the best sound from the sub came from hooking both positives from the sub outs on the amp to the positive on the sub andboth negatives to the negative on the sub.

As far as the D2B network goes, I only had the cd changer in the trunk when I started this so there was no spare fiber optic connection laying around. I bought a D2B network cable from ebay that was made for X-Types with nav/phone/cd/voice, so I had all sorts of connections. I took one lead and end connector from the new D2B cable and combined it with the original single D2B cable so that I now had two fiber optic connections, (one for the amp and one for the cd changer). That worked great. I now also have spare D2B sections and connectors left over so I can add other options later on.

Over all, I am very pleased with the sound. It is surprisingly clean sounding (my guess is the fiber has a lot to do with that).

If anyone has questions on any of this, please let me know and I will try to help. I am going to try and attach a pic of the amp in the trunk.

Paul

[IMG]local://upfiles/3859/333BE0E2E70649BF855703A341492230.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

NIce..congrats!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, fantastic.Great info
Didnt you get any error on the dash?
If not the advice I got on the firmware on the older (2002) head unit having a problem with the newer firmware on the 2004- amp causing a PECU b ERR on the dash maybe wrong.
I have bought a brand new sealed 2004- amp (£25 off ebay...380 dealer!!) and a 2004 headunit to try and sort this out.
Stereo works great 99.9% of the time but once in a while the CD button doesnt work and the radio sound goes off at the same time.
When I turn the ignition off and back on everything works again.
Occasionally the PECU ERR doesnt display but the mileage does as normal.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 PM

BuckMR2,
I was hoping you'd see the info I posted. I hate to say it, but I don't have any errors. Before starting this project, I read all the informationI could about it and figured I was going to get the error that you mentioned. So far, no errors.

Without actually talking to X-dave while trying to recreate hisharness, the one thing I noticed that definitely needs improvement is the power to the amp. X-daves harness tapped the power going to the cd changer (I believe). Well, that particular power wire is super thin gauge, maybe 18 or 20 gauge. It's way too small to supply good power to an amp. I plan on running a 12 gauge wire directly to the battery in the future. One other thing... there are 2 wires for power that come out of the amp and two wires for ground. In your case, maybe both of the wires aren't being used?? Maybe your amp isn't getting enought power? I don't know, all's I can say is that those guys who did your system did an incredible job so I doubt that's it.

I will let you know if the error shows up, but I don't believe the 2002 head unit is/was the problem. My feeling is thatthere isn't enough power to the amp that might be causing the problem.

Here is another possibility...Your install guys used the focal crossovers. I can verify that the amp DEFINITELY has crossovers for the front speakers built into the amp. Maybe the error is being caused by having 2 crossovers in the system? The rears don't have the crossover built in the amp. Is it possible to disconnect the fronts for a day or two from the amp to see of the error shows up then?

Paul

Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Paul
thanks for the advice.
I will contact the audio shop tomorrow to see if they can check your tips out (unless I can just disconnect the front speakers at the amp?) to try that first.
Anyone know where the power supply on the premium systems is sourced from?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:10 PM

If you look at the amp, you will see two white plugs. The bigger of the two plugs is the speaker output. More than likely, you will have a hard time just disconnecting thefronts. If the error you are getting is something that happens ona consistent basis, than how about pulling the speaker output plug out of the amp and leaving it out for an hour or so. Then, turn the radio or cd on and leave it playing. You won't hear anything but if you still get the error then at least you know it's not the front crossovers.

Anyway, good luck. I hope you can find a solution to the problem.

Paul

Old 10-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Will do that first as couldnt get to the audio place today (daughters 1st birthday so been to Mr Twisters all day).
Thanks

Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Default Does anyone out there know....

The name of the wiring harness that has the cd changer power supply to the trunk of 2007 jaguar x-type????