X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Brake Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type Brake Problems.

2003 X-type. Replaced worn rear pads, rotors and calipers. Put it all back together, topped off the master cylinder, and went to bleed the rear brakes.

No fluid is coming out of either caliper bleeder valve. Pedal goes to floor. Cracked the brake hose-to-caliper connection and fluid leaks out, so brake fluid is getting to the caliper but evidently not into the caliper.

I'm at a loss. Any advice? Thanks.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It seem like you know what the problem; replace the brake hose and connector.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarification on brake issue

Let me clarify. I did not break or crack (damage) any brake lines or fittings. I meant that I "cracked the line open a bit" with a wrench. My fault for being sloppy in my explanation.

The new pads/rotor/caliper all seem to be installed correctly. The brake line and connection seem ok. Fluid gets from the brake line to the port on the caliper. (I opened it slightly and fluid came out.)

Yet no fluid comes out of the bleeder valves; either side. And the pedal goes to the floor.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Some times the vent hole in the bleed screw can get filled with dirt. This will prevent
the air from getting out. When there is no air in the system the high pressure of
the brake fluid will blow the dirt out. With air in the system the pressure is not high
enough to clear things out. If you completely remove the bleed screw and let it
sit a while, gravity should allow the break fluid to flow and expel enough air to then
bleed the system normally.

Since the pedal goes to the floor without any fluid coming out your master cylinder
is full of air. (Is the fluid tank full?). The master cylinder will not build much
pressure in that circumstance. To clear the air you must move the pedal slowly
particularly on the up-stroke. Really slowly, like 30 seconds moving from the floor
to to top. Otherwise you keep drawing air back into the system.

The break bleeding machines avoid all these problems.

Pete.

Pete.