X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x-type concerns/questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: x-type concerns/questions

okay, trans fluid for the x-type transmission per quart - $28.54 (USD)

the transmission itself - $2910.00 (USD)

labor is 18 hours.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

2 days.. for a trani on a x type.i remember those days.. my 1st one took me 11 hours.. now im down to 2 hrs.. after about 15 trani..you get really good at them.. lol and i wud go for the later x type.s

Old 07-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey nti, my sister's boyfriend is getting his school wrapped up and his catalog with the same thing about tools...one of the packages he gets was like 30K!!! I thought that was pretty retarded especially when it was craftsman and it looked like I already have all of the tools he showed me in this book! Anyways its crazy how much those tools get! Saw a snap on ratchet used for just under 100! Screw that give me a craftsman and I'll go have it replaced when it breaks!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, but snap on has a delivery truck that will go to your house in the event of one breaking...still replaced for nada, zil, silch, zippo! JAJA. And they're really good tools! Comfortable in the hand too!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 AM

i use craftsman at home. i make many trips to sears when im working on old rusty crap to replace those tools. however i've had a 4 foot cheater bar on my 1/2inch snap on ratchet and it held up.
warranty is great for anything but you have to consider how often your going to need it. craftsman warranty is greatbut snapon reliability is better. their expensive, but worth the money to me.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  6.3 KB

Snapon.........what tools?
I remember the van comming round my work like 27 years ago when I was an apprentice......They were expensive even then and still are today.........but, like anything else, you only get what you pay for.

JC

Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

I get the Snap-on truck about 3 times a week in my neighborhood. They're great and I've never needed to use...then again I only own a couple of screwdrivers and a few sockets here and there. Too rich for my blood!

Old 07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 19

Hey........I only said the van came round....I never said I bought any...lol

JC

Old 07-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah really! I wouldn't buy them considering I only rarely actually need to break tools! The craftsman does the job for me and especially for the price! When you could buy a full mechanics 200pc tool set from craftsman for what they want for one ratchet! I was at the flea market this weekend and they had a 70th anniversary ratchet from craftsman and I wanted it nice and curvy and comfy feeling in the hands guy wanted 30 and it was new...pretty sure it was 1/2 drive

Old 07-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Im not sure about this, but i was told by someone that snap-on stopped their lifetime replacement, is this correct?

Old 07-02-2007, 08:12 PM

not that i know of. i break torx bits from time to time and they get replaced with no problem. the oldest tech has had some of his old stuff replaced when it broke. now there are limits to power tools and such things like that. as far as hand tools they still uphold their warranty. the same for matco and mac. i dunno about cornwell, that dealer lost his franchise.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

I doubt that because they'd lose all of their sales! Especially the premium the tools include with them!

Old 07-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nti06

ORIGINAL: peewee

The oil pan I would assume is easy to replace since you can drop the pan during an oil change but the crank shaft is more troubling. I am guessing that is $$$ to fix.
Actually i would rather do crankshaft seals than oil pan gaskets.I believe customer pay is 7 hours for the oil pan. You cannot simply take it off. You must take theAWD unit out first. Or, if your handy with a torch and hammer and don't mind destroying an offset wrench (like me.) You can custom bend a wrench to fit the one oil pan bolt that makes the entire job a biotch. Which saves me from taking theAWD unit out.
Why Visteon couldn't engineer an access to that one boltI don't know. They never figured it out either. Even on the new x-types, you still can't access the bolt.
The washer hose and the crankcase vacuum line are easy labor wise, but the parts are expensive. The englishare proud oftheir parts.

Man, thats crazy. I have never heard of such a hard time to remove a simple oil pan. How hard is it to change the oil or do you have to be a nasa scientist to figure that one out too....man i cant get over this stuff sometimes. I am used to messing around with my Small block chevy and tweeking the carb. I guess i am only in for a world of hurt when something goes wrong. Oh and as far as the english are proud of their parts is concerned there is always a cheaper japanese replacement my friend that doesnt fit all that well but gets the job done (most of the time) lol

Old 07-05-2007, 07:06 AM

the oil change is one of the few easy things you can do on these cars.
the cheap japanese parts are already on the car. denso ignition, fuel injectors, and all sorts of various parts. jaguar and land rover show their pride in parts by their markup.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: nti06

the oil change is one of the few easy things you can do on these cars.
the cheap japanese parts are already on the car. denso ignition, fuel injectors, and all sorts of various parts. jaguar and land rover show their pride in parts by their markup.
LOL Excellent! Well, hopefully the good ol local autozone will keep some of the parts without the mark up.

Also i should probably mention that i am going to be an x-type owner.I bought the 02 jag 2.5 5spd (with the stupid tape deck). I drove the car and rowed through all the gears no worries so far. Car was crisp and didnt appear to be leaking anything. Coolant was a bit low but i told the service manager and it should be addressed when i pick the car up next week. I got shafted on my trade in though. Only 4500 bucks! Ouch. However, i figured i made out ok on the deal. I got the jag for 13.5 with 35k miles on it.(practically brand new)After trade in its about 9, 100 bucks to finance which should be a low payment. I have a 90 day warranty from the dealer and will hopefully add on an additional warranty once the funds become available.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 21

ORIGINAL:Peewee - Also i should probably mention that i am going to be an x-type owner.I bought the 02 jag 2.5 5spd (with the stupid tape deck). I drove the car and rowed through all the gears no worries so far. Car was crisp and didnt appear to be leaking anything. Coolant was a bit low but i told the service manager and it should be addressed when i pick the car up next week.
Sounds very similar to my car Peewee......an 02 2.5 Sport, 4 years and a few months old at the time, with only 16k miles on the clock.....was n is like new!
Yours is the manual right?.....Is it the Sport version?
What colour and any mods or is it the std vehicle?
Fill us in.......post some pics when you get her too......

JC

Old 07-07-2007, 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: JimC64

ORIGINAL:Peewee - Also i should probably mention that i am going to be an x-type owner.I bought the 02 jag 2.5 5spd (with the stupid tape deck). I drove the car and rowed through all the gears no worries so far. Car was crisp and didnt appear to be leaking anything. Coolant was a bit low but i told the service manager and it should be addressed when i pick the car up next week.
Sounds very similar to my car Peewee......an 02 2.5 Sport, 4 years and a few months old at the time, with only 16k miles on the clock.....was n is like new!
Yours is the manual right?.....Is it the Sport version?
What colour and any mods or is it the std vehicle?
Fill us in.......post some pics when you get her too......

JC
Hello JC no its nota sport. Unfortunately Its justa base version 2.5 with 5spd. The only mods i plan on doing are navigation upgrade, new rims, and mesh grill.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 18

Ah never mind bro.........you still got yourself a really nice car.
It'll look great with the mesh grill, sumthin I wanna do sometime to

JC

Old 07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: peewee
During the winter i will miss the heated seats that my caddy has.
Retro fit them.
I checked out the price of retro fitting heated seats with dealer parts and its crazy £££s.
Thats the next mod I am going to do for the front and back seats via a step by step guide on another forum.Theaftermarket ones (even have a 2 stage output like OEM):-
http://www.waeco.co.uk/shop/details....i=12&p=309

Old 07-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

A lot of the fitters at our bodyshop use Snap-on tools and have a lifetime warranty.Never heard of them stopping the lifetime guarantee..

Quick Reply: x-type concerns/questions