X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Estate overheating - help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type Estate overheating - help!

Firstly I hope I'm posting in the right place and secondly forgive my ignorance as I'm not much of a car fanatic!

I recently bought a 2005 X-Type 2 litre estate. All was running fine aside from an issue with the central locking remote. It's just had a new battery but the terminal connections aren't fixed right so assumed that might be why.

A week or so ago it all of a sudden started over heating. It will sit in idle and the temp gauge only get to about mid point but if I do much more than 30mph it'll just shoot up to max temp, warning light comes on and then it will start to limp. When I pull over and open the bonnet the fan is going but not steaming or boiling over like I would expect.

It's not leaking water from anywhere I can see. Tank stays full. My dad had tried to get rid of any possible air locks. I took it to the garage and had the thermostat changed but made no difference.

The guy at the garage said he had it running for a few hours but it didn't overheat so he said it can't be the water pump otherwise it'd boil over even in neutral. Is this right? If not thermostat or water pump or a leak what else could it be?

Frustratingly the garage said they don't know what the problem is and suggested taking the thermostat out completely but I'm not keen to if there's anything else that I can do.

Might not be relevant but the heating has stopped getting warm at the same time. Any ideas appreciated!

Last edited by GGG; 04-04-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 04-04-2017, 05:54 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum BOUFFLES,

I've moved your question from Diesel variants - All models to X-Type forum. Members here will be able to help with overheating issues.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 04-05-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I think your radiator and heater core may be plugged up with corrosion. Since you recently bought the car you may not know if previous owner kept up with coolant services. I'd say try cleaning out the radiator with a flush product, plus backflush the heater core, then refill with fresh coolant and see if that helps. I don't recommend removing the thermostat.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Bouffles, like what swing wing said, it can be the radiator that is blocked internally and simply needs a good flush. Would not be the first radiator to suffer something like that. I would not rule out the water pump either. IF the fins of the pump were to say break off or get eroded, this would allow for sufficient flow at low speeds, but you get the engine RPMs up, it would cause the pump to have insufficient flow. This is where I would say to start with replacing the water pump and seeing how the fins look. Then, since you have the coolant drained anyways (assuming you don't see anything obviously wrong with the water pump), you will be set up to flush the coolant system and then refill with new coolant.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Bouffles, like what swing wing said, it can be the radiator that is blocked internally and simply needs a good flush. Would not be the first radiator to suffer something like that. I would not rule out the water pump either. IF the fins of the pump were to say break off or get eroded, this would allow for sufficient flow at low speeds, but you get the engine RPMs up, it would cause the pump to have insufficient flow. This is where I would say to start with replacing the water pump and seeing how the fins look. Then, since you have the coolant drained anyways (assuming you don't see anything obviously wrong with the water pump), you will be set up to flush the coolant system and then refill with new coolant.
Could it be a loose in Negative cable terminals, thus there will be no overheat in matter of fact. It happened with my 740 BMW.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Forgot to ask Bouffles - how many miles on this car?