X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation X Type Oil Leak

Hi guys, I am sure that my (new) 2005 X-300 will be easier to maintain than a V12 DVP I owned some 30 years ago, and more fun to drive.
However, initially my RWC is being held up with oil leaks and a broken front engine mount.
Are there any usual oil leak areas, and, is a broken engine mount common?
Are there any after market mufflers that would give the car a better sounding note?
Thanks for any help.
Cheers from "Downunder"

Old 03-26-2017, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I think you are posting to the wrong forum. Your X300 is an XJ model, bigger than the cars for this forum, which are the smaller X-Types. Confusing, yes - because we are mixing factory codes (x300) and model names (x-Type - whose factory designation is X400!).
Or do you really have a 2005 X-Type (which is not an X300)? Now I am confused!
And what is an RWC?

Last edited by sov211; 03-26-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:21 AM
Default x Type Oil Leak

Thanks Sov211 for picking up my typo error. Yes I have a 2005 X-Type (X400?), and down under a RWC is a Roadworthy Certificate, which is required before a vehicle can change into the new owner's name.
I hope this clears the way for any responses and eases your confusion.
Thanks

Old 03-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. The most common source of leaks on the X-Type is the oil sump gasket, but it is an involved job to access it and replace it, meaning that it is an expensive job. Unless the oil leakage (assuming it is from the sump) is excessive, that is, a real nuisance, it is far cheaper to simply top up the oil as needed. Have you checked to see if the leak might be from the sump plug (if the car has been serviced at quick-lube places, this is a distinct possibility)? While you are checking under the car, look for the transfer case air scoop (assuming yours is an AWD car); if it is missing, it should be replaced (very easy, just one bolt); they go missing because they must be removed to access the oil drain plug, and "mechanics" often forget to replace them. They can also be torn off by road debris as they are the lowest-hanging item on the engine.
A broken engine mount is not common. And this car will be much easier to maintain than the V12 (I can say this from experience as I have owned many of the V12 cars).

Old 03-27-2017, 02:58 AM

Thanks sov211,
I degreased and pressure washed under the engine 48 hours ago, drove it for about 10k's and parked it over an oil tray, so far, virtually no drips. We will know more in the next few days when it is put on a hoist for the engine mount replacement. I will check the air scoop as well. I will update when I have the results.
One of the next things for me to address is the position of the accelerator pedal which should be more to the right (RHD). I believe the manual cars have it in a better position.
Thanks again. H

Old 03-31-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you say front engine mount mean the one in front of engine on the passenger side? I have not replace it, but I have removed and put it back already, you don't need an engine hoist to replace it; Put a piece of wood on the floor jack, jack it up just enough to support the engine, then you can remove the engine mount from the top and replace it, the job shouldn't take too long, couple of hours is the most