Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type overheating - Diagnosis pls

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type overheating - Diagnosis pls

All,

I have an overheating problem just started on 1st Jan with my x-type.

Car Details - 2007 2.0D xtype with 68k miles

Problem - All starts and drives normally. After 3 miles from a cold start water temp is at top of gauge with red warning light.

Interior heating works BUT is totally cold. If I "free wheel" with clutch in for say a mile or so then the needle slightly drops. When I switch off the engine the fan at the radiator continue until it cools down. 15 mins later I can restart and probably get about a mile until it all repeats.
Never had the problem before and yes water/coolant level all ok.

QUESTION - before I take it to a garage tomorrow - is it likely a thermostat prob on the water pump and/or faulty water pump ?

Any ideas please?

thanks a lot.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Water pump belt? (Didn't notice you had diesel. Tried to delete but not able. Forget my comment.)

Last edited by Tony_H; 01-02-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

glbell, odds are, your problem lies in the water pump. Granted, changing out the thermostat at the same time is going to add minimal cost. Granted, I really doubt the thermostat is your problem since you should have tons of heat if the thermostat was stuck shut. With the thermostat stuck shut, it would force the coolant to all go through the dash to make a complete loop in the system. Since you have no heat, that tells me you have no flow. Hence back to the pump not doing what it should.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It may be as simple as a broken belt. The waterpump on the diesel engines is driven by its own toothed belt which is driven by a pulley on the end of the camshaft. This set up is on the opposite end of the engine from the auxilliary belt that drives the alternator / power steering and aircon pump.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Look at the engine, at the end that next to the battery, there small belt on three pulleys; the big one with three round holes that driven by the cam shaft, the small one toward front of the car that's the belt tensioner, other small pulley toward the driver; that's the water pump pulley, remove water pump is easy, but you have to take the battery out of its place, you don't need to remove the whole thing out, just take the water pump propeller out, but if the belt is not broken, the over heat is not from the pump. I would replace the thermostat before over heat blow the hoses out. To replace thermostat; Chock the rear wheels, jack the front of the car up, put the jack stands under car, crawl under, thermostat is at the driver side end of engine near the catalyst convert, reach up to remove a ring claim that hold rubber hose, pull the hose down and off the thermostat housing then remove three screws and pull the thermostat with the housing out, do the reverse to install the new one. I go on Ebay: Jaguar X-Type parts, you can find almost every things with very good price, check for free shipping.

Last edited by Thang Nguyen; 08-21-2016 at 09:48 PM.