X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type Pedal Style

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default X-type Pedal Style

I have a 2004 x-type that has a gas pedal that is hinged to the floor. My other cars have a "flying" type of gas pedal, which, maybe just by habit, I would prefer. I noticed on e-bay that there are a lot of used accelerator pedals for the X-type for sale, and some are hinged and some are the flying style. It looks like an easy swap (3 bolts and a plug), but would it work? And did they at some point in the production of these cars change to the different style of pedal?

Jim

Old 09-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

sawduster, there were electrical changes made to your car in March 2004. So, you have the early 2004 vehicles which have the 2003 components, then starting in April 2004, they installed some different electrical stuff (changed the numbering of the fuse boxes, minor wiring modifications, different style transfer case). So, from the sounds of things, you have an early 04 vehicle and you are looking to switch over to the later 2004 stuff. It may or may not work. You would have to do some investigation as to what the resistances are inside the two pedals. The resistances would need to be pretty much identical, otherwise the computer will think that the gas pedal is in a position that it isn't and what that will do to the motor is very difficult to say.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As stated by Jaguar:
The organ throttle pedal supplements the driver lower air bag
module. It helps control the driver’s heel point and offers a
more refined pedal feel over the former pendulum pedal. The
organ throttle pedal comprises:
• throttle sensor mounting bracket with pedal stop;
• throttle sensor;
• organ pad;
• organ pedal mounting bracket.

It seems they changed pin 3 and 6 and pin 2 and 5 but as for resistance I can't say.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Well I can do some research and check this out as I have an 02 and a 04 and a 05. I just need to fined out if the plugs are the same and if the resistance is the same.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 PM

I checked my car and it was delivered in April 2004 which means it was an early 2004 build.
I did some research and it seems there is some debate about which pedal style is better. However, it seems to me that the suspended type converts your foot motion directly into motion of the metal bar that is attached to the pedal sensor. The hinged pedal has a slot behind it which captures that metal bar, and if I remember from my basic mechanics of forces and force vectors, the force pushing the metal bar down is only a component of the total force from your foot. Therefore, it makes sense that the hinged type would feel different (given the same spring arrangement in the position sensor assembly) and require more force.
So, maybe I just need to get back on the bike and build better leg muscles!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 PM

From my research on this it looks like the 2002-2003 MY cars had the suspended pedals. Early 2004 cars also had the suspended pedals, but the switch was made sometimes during 2004 to a organ type pedal. It looks like later years also had the organ type pedals.
It looks like the easiest way to change one would be to leave the position sensor in place, but unbolt the lever arm and bolt a new one in place (with rubber pedal pad attached). That way I wouldn't have to worry about a different sensor electronics. The hardest part looks to be removing the hinged pedal from the floor. Anyone know how this is connected?

Old 10-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not sure about the US spec cars but certainly the UK right hand drive cars had floor hinged pedals for the petrol models and suspended pedals for the diesel models

Old 10-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mjtemple
I'm not sure about the US spec cars but certainly the UK right hand drive cars had floor hinged pedals for the petrol models and suspended pedals for the diesel models
Nope, it came with driver lower airbag and that came in 2004.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Smile Problem resolved

So, being a new x-type owner, I love driving the car but the pedal seemed quite stiff, at least compared to my other cars. It's not terrible, but after a few hours of driving my legs and knees would really feel it. So, I removed the pedal assembly to see if there were any faults inside. When I opened the box, I didn't see any faults but I noticed there were two coil springs used to create the pedal tension - one nested inside the other, which is probably a common arrangement. Either spring would provide plenty of force to operate the pedal, but in combination they create quite a bit of force. I read on other car forums that some people just remove the inner spring, but it seems that inner spring is there for a safety reason, should the outer spring break, or completely vaporize or disintegrate. So, I replaced the inner spring with one that is considerable weaker (but still strong enough to operate the pedal on its own) and left the outer spring as is. I reassembled it and installed it back in the car. Now the pedal has a much better feel (similar to that on my Volvo s60) and for me, has increased the fun factor in driving.

The following users liked this post:
aCapiz (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

The diesels have a physical throttle, where the petrol engines are fly-by-wire.

It takes some interesting fiddly bits to use the organ pedal on a hard-connected throttle; pulley assemblies, wire rope, linkages, throttle resistance and return springs.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sawduster
So, being a new x-type owner, I love driving the car but the pedal seemed quite stiff, at least compared to my other cars. It's not terrible, but after a few hours of driving my legs and knees would really feel it. So, I removed the pedal assembly to see if there were any faults inside. When I opened the box, I didn't see any faults but I noticed there were two coil springs used to create the pedal tension - one nested inside the other, which is probably a common arrangement. Either spring would provide plenty of force to operate the pedal, but in combination they create quite a bit of force. I read on other car forums that some people just remove the inner spring, but it seems that inner spring is there for a safety reason, should the outer spring break, or completely vaporize or disintegrate. So, I replaced the inner spring with one that is considerable weaker (but still strong enough to operate the pedal on its own) and left the outer spring as is. I reassembled it and installed it back in the car. Now the pedal has a much better feel (similar to that on my Volvo s60) and for me, has increased the fun factor in driving.
THANK YOU FOR THIS!
Just tried it this morning and the difference is huge. I have driven many other sport sedans and this X Type has one of the stiffest pedals I have ever felt. One time, a friend of mine drove this car and complained that it was very slow, sluggish and felt heavy. He said this until he buried his foot in it and then realized it wasn't that slow (he drives an old honda civic).

Ever since that day I sort of guessed it was because of the really stiff pedal and now after this mod my pedal feels amazing. Car definitely feels playful and you don't have to dump your whole body weight into making the car move.