X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Type positive appreciation thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type positive appreciation thread

I have been a member on this forum for a month or so now. Whilst allot of threads are helpful with some good discussions and solutions, some have been quiet negative. So because of this I would just like to say something positive about my X type experience as it could useful for prospective buyers who read these forums.
I own a 2.1 V6 SE 2003, had it for about 2 months or so. I love this car its stylish, has that distinctive Jaguar look with the moulded bonnet round the lights. Something that all the new Jaguars do not have but to me its trademark Jaguar look. I find the ride really smooth and feels luxurious. Granted the 2.1 does not have all that much power but for me its enough as I am not in a hurry to get anywhere though it cruises so well at 80-90mph on the motorway.
The interior has all the bells and whistles I wanted + a few extra like folding mirrors. I feel like I am in a quality motor. It sounds great telling people I drive a Jag.
Now I know there may be issues with reliably but on balance there are still people on this forum & the UK one that say that their cars have been nothing but reliable. You do your research before buying you take care choosing the car your going to buy and you should be okay. Jags have never had a great reputation on reliability but thats not why we buy them. Equally Ferrari are not that reliable either yet many of us would like one! On the flip side look at Toyota, cars from that part of the world have been known to be reliable yet the mess they are in now makes you wonder.

My car feels like a Jaguar, it looks like a Jaguar it sounds like a Jaguar, its called a Jaguar, so it must be a Jaguar. All this crap about it being a Ford just does not stand up in my mind as all cars share common parts. Hell allot of the parts on any car are supplied by 1st tier suppliers. That is why car factories have assembly lines.

I have lived in Coventry UK all my life I had been around Browns Lane factory as a boy, I saw the cars every day doing test drives past where I live and the car transporters taking all the new shiny ones to their new owners. I always wanted one. Yes I could have bought an old XJ 4.2 or something but running costs are an issue with Petrol being so high price £6 a gallon.

If your after an affordable Jaguar then buy a X Type.

Hopefully more happy owners can post on this thread too with how much they like their cars.

Rant over.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Bravo Bolly, nicely worded post. I completely agree. Don't have much to add other than I've enjoyed ownership of this car over the last...jeez I've had it since 2003. I still get positive comments about the looks on regular occasions. I enjoy the styling and handling most of all. It has its warts, but so do all the other makes and models.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 AM

Awesome. Mine is smooth as silk, great performance, awesome looks, comfort, ride, fun fun fun. No issues in 2 months...but I a fairly warned and pragmatic about mechanical things. Loving it!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Ah good, an X-Type love-in, just what we need. I love my car. It's a 3.0 2005 VDP X-type black and chromed out on the trim, mirrors and my new chrome rims (20 spoke). Interior is cream with taupe trim and walnut finishings. With 12 speakers, I save CD's to listen to in the car. It's gorgeous and goes like a scalded cat. My family and friends are tired of hearing how much I love it. It has everything but blue tooth and GPS. I don't mind that these are missing.

I have my own Tom Tom with Austin Powers voice I love to use, it says Yeah Baby, Groovy Driving! and you don't get that with a factory install!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks for taking time posting such a thread . Mainly as you have prolly noticed some guys (they know themselves ) come here make nothing but complaint about their ride and what's even worse they compare it to toybota lol
Real and Genuine Enthusiasts never thrash the brand at all .
X Types been cute rides and carry all the Jag characteristics which is good

Last edited by Cadillac; 05-21-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice post Bolly, and just what was needed I think. To often as we are part of a Jaguar forum we take for granted that we all pretty much love our cars, some more than others though.
Forums, being what they are do tend to focus more on the problem areas ( which sometimes, is why we are here to start with ) my door won't unlock or noise from dashboard etc etc....

I had my X type 2.5 V6 Sport for around 14 months I guess. Got her with 16k miles on the clock at 4 years old and she was a beauty in Zircon blue. I only ever had some of the minor problems of the early X types like the dash vents popping up and the door handle issue.
Other than that she handles very well, powerful enough I guess although I woulda loved the 3.0 but petrol costs here are astronomical. Very comfortable car and always always got comments on how great she looked and how could I afford a Jag
The AWD is phenomenal too......

Love it love it love it.....yeah it has its faults, Please show me a car that doesn't?

Thanks for posting Bolly

You realise of course that this thread MUST get more than the 65 replies to "Always falling"!!

The following users liked this post:
Boomslang (04-20-2013)
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrmmm5
Ah good, an X-Type love-in, just what we need. I love my car. It's a 3.0 2005 VDP X-type black and chromed out on the trim, mirrors and my new chrome rims (20 spoke). Interior is cream with taupe trim and walnut finishings. With 12 speakers, I save CD's to listen to in the car. It's gorgeous and goes like a scalded cat. My family and friends are tired of hearing how much I love it. It has everything but blue tooth and GPS. I don't mind that these are missing.

I have my own Tom Tom with Austin Powers voice I love to use, it says Yeah Baby, Groovy Driving! and you don't get that with a factory install!

Your X sounds like a real beauty. I always liked the VDP treatment on them. Black with cream interior is a nice combo. Time for a picture!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the replies guys and keep em coming. Like JimC64 says You realise of course that this thread MUST get more than the 65 replies to "Always falling"!!"" haha

I do agree a thread like this is what the forum needs to balance out all that recent negativity . We all bought are cars for a reason I think some people just forget why.

Rrmmm5 I have my own Tom Tom with Austin Powers voice I love to use, it says Yeah Baby, Groovy Driving! and you don't get that with a factory install!"

I too had that voice on my tomtom always made me laugh! Your car too sounds like a good one. 20" rims ...fat! nice! I need some :-)

JimC64 are you going to get another Jag?? to coin a phrase meant for Dogs. " A Jag is not just for Christmas........." ;-)

MEMBERS THIS THREAD NEEDS YOU

Old 05-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Uh-Huh

My Car = Sex on Wheels.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolly, this kind of positive attitude makes me to believe, that there's still some hope for us great unbelievers somewhere out there, I felt a great proudness with myself while I was reading your post, thanks and I agree 100% with you!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Love my X! It has it's quirks, but don't we all. ;-) Much better looking car than the others in the same class, which is what drew me in.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Your X sounds like a real beauty. I always liked the VDP treatment on them. Black with cream interior is a nice combo. Time for a picture!
The Chris X - I'll post photos soon!! The prior owner took it through an automatic car wash (the nitwit) and I'm getting it power polished in a few weeks. After that it will be picture perfect and I'll post some pics!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I love so many things about my X-Type too:

- smooth as silk, effortless power delivery with the 3.0 engine
- tight steering and better handling than a BMW 3 series
- stable in inclement weather (rain, snow, ice)
- classic XJ styling in a more compact, sporty, AWD package
- absolute bargain on the used car market

The only things I wish is that I was able to find a 5 speed model, and that the quality of interior materials was better (i.e., better quality leather and plastics). Oh, and my only other gripe is how fragile the interior door handles are. If Jaguar hadn't cut corners on the interior, the quality perception would be better.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Love my X. I’m on my second. I had an ‘02 3.0 5 speed Sport which I bought new and sold after 88,000 km at the advice of my service writer. The second is a 3.0 auto Sportwagon which I love and will drive until one of us dies. They’re smooth, elegant and my friends loved both cars. So they’re not rockets. That’s not these cars are about. You want a rocket, buy a WRX.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 PM

I feel the exact same way with my car. I've had it since january and it purs like a kitty . Never really had a problem with it. It's the perfect car, for me.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:23 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I regret every day selling my X. I had a sport in BRG with a 5 sp manual. Wish I had it back. The car was perfect in every way - not a single mechanical problem in 43K miles.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always had a policy of buying a new car every 10 years. However, as my X-Type is now approaching that mark I don't think I can stand to part with it. I've decided to do some minor upkeep and hang onto it for an extra 5 or 10 years. Yeah, I like it a lot. It's fun, it's comfortable, it gets good mileage and I still get compliments on it all the time.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Bolly, first off i have to say... What a great post. I two can second that my Jag hasn't had any problems and I love it to death. I get a lot of stares in it, and its just a great car. I also love the way its not just some other honda on the road. Its classier and more distinct and it makes the car even better for me. My next car will be a Jag, hopefully an XFR

Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  19.3 KB

Hmm Bolly, I'd love to get another Jag at some point, but as things stand with the economic situation and petrol prices etc I don't think its gonna be any time soon

I'm lovin the XF and see more n more every day.....think its a great looking car and would love to own one, but I'm also drawn to the XJ's.

As for the X? I think Jaguar missed a trick....The diesel powerplants in 2.0 form and the slightly more powerful 2.2d were great both in performance and fuel economy. They woulda been so much better with AWD too.....I never understood that one?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Atta boy Bolly. It`s been a while since we had a thread like this. thanks for the rest of you chiming in.

Rrmmm5, we`ll be waiting for the pics. Can`t say that I`ve seen the black VDP yet so would be great to see it.

Quick Reply: X Type positive appreciation thread