Sponsored by:

X-Type Power Steering Pump Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Default X-Type Power Steering Pump Replacement Questions

Hello!

I have a 2002 2.5 Auto X-Type that decided to eat the power steering pump because it was cold ( -37f ) and apparently hungry.

(My theory is that the car does not like one to SIT on one's wallet in the car. You must have it out and open to satisfy it's minimum fuel requirements)

I have reviewed the JTIS and seen the "generic" description of what to do to replace it (unbolt it, replace it, re-bolt it) and how to "burp" the system. I was pretty sure to begin with that was how it was done.

Being that I am totally UNfamiliar with the car and what is involved in replacing the power steering pump, it behooves me to ask for a bit of enlightenment from you fine folk.

The local mechanics looked under the hood when they put the studded Pirelli's on the other day and said simply "Good Luck!", and were quite unwilling to take on the task. Their initial assertation of the pump replacement was to remove an A-frame and tilt out and partially drop the engine to gain access.

I'm pretty sure the process is much simpler than that. If it is indeed THAT complicated, I'm throwing a $5 bottle of JB Power Steering Medic in it, and putting an $ .89 "For Sale" sign in the window.

I have the tools (mostly), the talent (somewhat), and the inclination to do it myself. What I am lacking is a basic overview of the process.

Taking it to the (non-Jag) dealer that sold me the car is a LAST option. It took them 5+ weeks to repair a faulty 3rd Brake Light and replace the thermostat housing gasket ("Gee, we kept getting the wrong parts!") and that ran over $300 even with the aftermarket warranty.

Needless to say, the coolant leak is even WORSE now - a quart every 100 miles, the mechanic seems to have screwed it up rather royal.

My wife is SCREAMING at me about the car, she'd like to drive it sometime soon. We have put less than 500 miles on it since purchase in August 2009, and would have preferred to drive it every day.

*** Pretty soon one or both of my ********* will be rolling around in the bottom of her purse with that Jag key fob! ***

IF SOMEONE KNOWLEDGEABLE WITH THE X-TYPE POWER STEERING PUMP REPLACEMENT will briefly "walk me throught it", I promise to photograph ALL the steps I take (even the mis-steps) and post a comprehensive procedure here on the forum for the benefit of others.

If possible, kindly include a note on when to drink a beer between the steps, when to cuss, and how to hold one's lips when working down there where you cannot see anything!!!

Thank you!

~Bruce