X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Rear PropShaft Lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type Rear PropShaft Lubricant

Hello, I am working on my 2002 Jaguar X-Type rear prop-shaft/driveshaft. The car is equipped with an automatic transmission. When I unbolted the shaft from the transfer case yolk, gear oil came out of it. I see there is a bearing in the end of the shaft that bolts to the transfer. My first question is what type of lubricant is supposed to be in the bearing assembly. Is it supposed to be gear oil? If so how do you get the oil in there. I do not see where the oil would come through the yolk area to keep the bearing lubricated and do not see a place where you could add the oil when the shaft is bolted on. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

3kings, welcome to JF. The fluid that is needed in the transfer case is "full synthetic 75W-140 gear oil/lube". Brand is not specific. Granted, a lot of people here swear by Royal Purple.

As for getting it in. This is where the fun starts. In your case, the easiest thing will be to do the following:

-block the passenger (right) side tires to prevent the car from rolling while having the vehicle on a level surface
-using a high lift jack, jack up the driver's (left) side of the car so the underside of the doors is atleast 24 inches off of the floor.
-block/support the car in this condition
-access the drain plug (yes, drain plug) using a 3/8" ratchet (no socket) and remove the plug
-with a pan under the car, lower the car back down to the ground to drain out any remaining oil
-jack the car back up and support it so the door sills are again at 24 inches off of the floor
-add in 550 ml of gear lube into the transfer case. This should bring the level up near the threads of the plug
-replace the drain plug (seal as needed to ensure no fluid leaks out)
-lower car back down on to all 4 tires.

Must you lower the car to drain out the fluid? NOt necessarily. But, keep in mind that the fluid has probably never been changed and the car will be at 100K+ miles more than likely and it is due to have the fluid changed. If you don't drain out all the fluid, then you simply fill till the fluid level is near the threads of the drain hole.

On a side note, if you don't drain out everything and just add fluid, it is possible to over fill the transfer case. It will not hurt the transfer case, but you may smell a "burning oil" smell as the vent for the transfer case is directly above the exhaust and with use, the vent will spit out the excess fluid and it WILL!!!!! fall on the exhaust, creating the bad smell.

If you need more assistance, let me know. There are 2 other ways of putting fluid back into the car, but these take a little bit of parts buying to make work.

The following users liked this post:
3kings (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo, thank you very much for the quick reply. This will be helpful when I change the oil in the transfer case. Just for clarification though, I was looking for information regarding the lubrication required for the rear propshaft front cv-bearing that bolts to the transfer yolk. When I unbolted the propshaft some gear oil came out of it although it did look like there were small traces of grease left. I just found some information in another thread that I believe answers the questions about that but please feel free to respond and let me know if you feel it is inaccurate. It gave instructions that indicated there should be grease in the bearing assembly and that the gear oil would have leaked out from the transfer case. It also stated that the fix was to put some sealer on the nut of the yolk to prevent the oil from leaking out into the shaft front bearing assembly again. O, the instructions also said to put 2 sachets of grease in the bearing. From further research I found a sachet is a small bag or pouch. Anyone have an idea of what volume of grease should be installed?
Thanks

Old 01-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The info is correct in that oil should not be present when you remove the yoke. Below is a copy of the TSB for servicing.
Lubricating the carrier bearing is done by inserting a grease needle at locations 90 degrees apart around the carrier bearing.Insert the grease needle beneath the rubber boor on the carrier bearing and add grease until is comes out of the opposite side. Once greased wipe off all excess grease.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT308-01 Oil Leakage.pdf (115.3 KB, 196 views)