X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type windscreen washer filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:38 AM
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Default X type windscreen washer filter

Following a long drive south in filthy conditions last week I decided to investigate the ever decreasing flow from my washers which had become a pathetic dribble by journeys end. The jets and their non return valves were clear so next came the pump.
Right side wheel and inner wheelarch cover removed the lower part of the reservoir and pumps can be accessed. The pump is a press fit in what looks like a plastic grommet which is located in the lower part of the reservoir. Prising out the grommet however it becomes apparent that it is the top end of a strainer which acts as a suction filter for the pump. A good clean of the filter which was choked with a blue fluffy crud and a flush out of the reservoir returned the washers to their former glory.
Success without expense for a change but not the most accsessible part so I'll be very careful about what I pour in in future.
Hope this helps someone
Pete

The following 3 users liked this post by PDMiller:
MRomanik (12-20-2012), Rob131174 (11-06-2022), xtypeowner (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X Type Windscreen washer problem

This seems to be a common problem, pump working but no water from windscreen washers, maybe caused by difficult to get to....SLUDGE in the filter!!

My 2005 2.0D X type, (owned for 1 month) had this problem from when I brought it from a dealer. The dealer failed to sort it on 2 occasions so I looked at this Forum and decided to do it myself!

Thanks to good information, given here, I removed the front R/H road wheel, removed the inner wheel arch (where can I get new screws for this)? Removed the pump to a cascade of water everywhere under the car (I didn't empty the reservoir first). Smelly goo everywhere!!

Anyway, I got the job done, flushed the reservoir, very small filter (don't lose it as I did) tested the washers with bonnet (hood) open...result, washers working! Closed bonnet (hood) went for test drive, washers not working!!

I had the windscreen changed last week, after this, the washer hose was not located into the clip under the bonnet (hood), cutting off the supply. I relocated this, closed the bonnet and all is ok.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but if it helps 1 of you guys, it's worth it!

Alan

The following users liked this post:
tomhannah (08-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Did the same on mine a couple of years ago.
Here's a picture of the filter for those still to do it.

xtypeowner (06-03-2015)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Easy fix

My washers would work weakly for a few seconds and then stop. After reading on here about the filter getting clogged, I found an easy solution to this problem without having to access any part of the internal washer system. Simply open the bonnet and disconnect the washer hose from the first junction. Leave the male part on the hose. Then attach a bicycle pump to the male part of the hose (leading back to the washer tank). Use a small size tyre pump adaptor and it forms a perfect seal. Then pump air into the washer tank. It blows air through the system in the opposite direction. This should clear the blockage in the filter. You can see all the dirt floating in the washer water.
I repeatedly syphoned off the dirty water in the reservoir using a small length of garden hose, I would fill the washer tank, and then pump air into it while syphoning off the 'dirty' water with all the bits in it. I did this a few times.
I reconnected the hose and suddenly my washers were working perfectly, with lots of pressure. All you need is a bicycle pump and a bit of hose for syphoning.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paulfreefall:
mbelanger (08-17-2022), Yorta2 (08-10-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blocked …..but on,y when hood down!!

Hello,,,,,,the fix suggested worked perfectly, when the hood was up. Once I closed the hood, the offside washer worked weakly, and the near side not a5 all!! So I presume when I shut the lid the pipe is getting trapped or blocked somewhere……any sugggestions?

QUOTE=Paulfreefall;2553803]My washers would work weakly for a few seconds and then stop. After reading on here about the filter getting clogged, I found an easy solution to this problem without having to access any part of the internal washer system. Simply open the bonnet and disconnect the washer hose from the first junction. Leave the male part on the hose. Then attach a bicycle pump to the male part of the hose (leading back to the washer tank). Use a small size tyre pump adaptor and it forms a perfect seal. Then pump air into the washer tank. It blows air through the system in the opposite direction. This should clear the blockage in the filter. You can see all the dirt floating in the washer water.
I repeatedly syphoned off the dirty water in the reservoir using a small length of garden hose, I would fill the washer tank, and then pump air into it while syphoning off the 'dirty' water with all the bits in it. I did this a few times.
I reconnected the hose and suddenly my washers were working perfectly, with lots of pressure. All you need is a bicycle pump and a bit of hose for syphoning.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-15-2022, 09:18 PM
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I tried the bicycle pump trick (thanks Paul), but instead of siphoning the water out of the tank, I put a garden hose in the filler on a low pressure, put the pump on and as I pumped the dirty water was being flushed. I did it for not long enough the first time and it blocked rather quickly (like within a day). Obviously I needed to put more effort into it and make sure ALL the gunk had been washed out. It's been a couple of weeks now and all is great.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blocked washer jets

The bike pump trick is genius. Thanks, Paulfreefall! I was just about to spend a morning jacking the car up, removing wheel, arch liner, etc, etc., then I saw your post describing the bike pump trick. Worked a treat. Back flushed with garden hose per Yorta2 tip. TBH there wasn't too much gunk in the water, but then lo and behold, the remnants of a paper disc from the lid of a bottle of washer fluid floated out. So, keep flushing for quite a long time even if you don't see too much evidence of blockage at first. All now work perfectly. Thanks guys!

Yorta2 (06-13-2023)