X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type would you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type would you?

I was curious if I could get the opinions of some informed Jag owners on this vehicle I am looking in to. Here is the listing:

For sale 2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L V-6 AWD
I am selling my 2005 X-type it is in excellent condition with great exterior and interior.
Mechanically and physically the car is in mint condition, I am a car guy and have always kept this car in top spec.

Specs:
Transmission: 5 speed Automatic w/OD
Brakes: 4 Wheel DISC w/ ABS
Mileage:107k
Black Exterior with Chrome Trim
Tan Leather interior
Heated Seats
AM/FM/CD Player
Power Drives Seat
Power Sunroof (not moonroof, it opens fully)
All Wheel Drive (handles great in snow or wet)
3.0L V-6 (not the smaller 2.5)
Engine Immobilizer
Headlights-Automatic
Air Conditioning-Auto Climate Control
Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
Cruise Control
Keyless Entry
Power Mirrors
Power Locks
Seat-Power Driver
Seat-Power Passenger
Rear Armrest/cupholders
Steering Wheel-Adjustable
Steering Wheel-Audio Controls
Steering Wheel-Leather
Power Steering
Remote Trunk Release
Power Windows (Front 1-touch Up&Down)
Front and Rear Fog Lamps
Mirror(s)-Heated
Rear Window Defogger
Air Bag-Frontal-Driver
Air Bag-Frontal-Passenger
Air Bag-Side Body-Front
Air Bag-Side Head-Front
Air Bag-Side Head-Rear

As far as parts it has had the following:
New Heater core
New Drive Shaft
Transfer case replaced this cost $3000 and was done less than 2 weeks ago.
New front calipers
New rotors and pads all 4 wheels
New intake vacuum hosing (the stock hosing had a defect so i replaced all of them).
New Brake booster
New brake Master cylinder
Chrome mesh grill replacement (not the cheap kind I ordered specifically for this model)
All oil changes done with Castrol full synthetic as recommended by Jaguar

All regular maintenance completed on schedule including coolant flush, oil filters, air filters etc..

It has a crack in the front windshield that will need to be replaced at some point. I have driven with the crack for some time now as it doesn't impede the drivers view at all.
The left rear rim is missing the center for the hubcap, they can be found here for $20:
I also have a full size spare rim and full size spare tire which I will include with the car. The rim got bent on a pothole so I replaced it. It's still in good condition and you could have it repaired (about $50 locally) and use it as a full size spare instead of the donut (also included in trunk /w jack etc.). This was my plan i just never got around to it.
Other than that the car is in excellent condition it drives great, handles brilliantly in the dry or snow and it looks amazing.
Pics taken with cell phone, I can provide better hi-res photos if interested.
This is hands down the cleanest X-type you will find, its in better shape and has had more maintenance, care and new parts than cars with a third of the mileage.
Hate to sell her but I have a company car now and have no need for it.
Happy to answer any serious questions or inquiries, feel free to email me. Serious buyers are encouraged to come see the car in person, as the pictures really don't do it justice.

He is asking 7K.

To me it seems like a good deal as he has already replaced the Transfer case and some other parts and it seems well maintained.

Is there any other major(costly 3k+) components that are known issues with this model?

If anyone has any advice on things to look for or questions to ask I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails X-Type would you?-jag.jpg   X-Type would you?-jag1.jpg   X-Type would you?-jag2.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

I would not pay more then 6k for the following:
(This car might have been driven hard)

I am selling my 2005 X-type it is in excellent condition with great exterior and interior. Has several maint issues.
Mechanically and physically the car is in mint condition, I am a car guy and have always kept this car in top spec. Not in MINT condition, parts replaced and windshield cracked!
Mileage:107k
New Heater core
New Drive Shaft
Transfer case replaced this cost $3000 and was done less than 2 weeks ago.
New front calipers
New rotors and pads all 4 wheels
New intake vacuum hosing (the stock hosing had a defect so i replaced all of them).
New Brake booster
New brake Master cylinder
Chrome mesh grill replacement (not the cheap kind I ordered specifically for this model)
It has a crack in the front windshield that will need to be replaced at some point.
The left rear rim is missing the center for the hubcap, they can be found here for $20:
The rim got bent on a pothole so I replaced it. It's still in good condition and you could have it repaired (about $50 locally)
Suspension Bushings might need replacing?
Shocks need replacing?
Timing chain?

Might want to have an Inspection prior to purchase!

Last edited by reyesl; 02-17-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Clark, while the X-Type is a nice car, I have to ask how you plan on driving it. I bet you are wondering why I ask this. As the post above said, the transfer case has been replaced. It is the weak link of this car. If you are looking to beef up the motor to get some more power out of it or you plan on driving it spiritedly (ie, routinely letting the car shift at above 4,000 RPM), you are going to find this is going to be an expensive car to own. If you are looking for one that will cruise at 70-75 mph in comfort and have a look that is not found in other cars, then this is the car for you.

Please keep in mind that this guy doesn't know the car all that well. A few things stick out at me. The first, he talks about driver's window being 1 touch up/down. Atleast on my 03, all 4 windows are 1 touch up/down. This was standard on the X-Type. Secondly, all the options that he lists are for a basic X-Type. he doens't mention NAV or other niceties that were options for the X-Type. The only "upgrade" I can see is that the car got the 3.0L motor over the 2.5L motor.

Now, the statement that makes me wonder the most is the one about " All oil changes done with Castrol full synthetic as recommended by Jaguar". I wold like to see where that is written. We have had numerous discussions about whether synthetic oil should even be used in these cars as all of the documention with Jaguar headers has specifically stated that use of conventional oil is recommended. Now, using full synthetic doesn't hurt these cars.

The price he is asking is a little high. Take a look on KBB and other pricing sites and see what a basic X-TYpe is going for in your area. I know near me, that price is too high. he is trying to recoup some of his money from the transfer case.

Am I saying not to buy the car, by no means. I have enjoyed the 5 years that I have owned my X-Type and see many years of trouble free use from it. But I also point out some of the not-so obvious errors that are in the posting.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (02-19-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM

Jclark,
He has got the car description detailed out well. The car is clean and I agree with Thermo, he has it priced a bit on the high end. There has been a pile of work done to this car in regard to the braking system that signals it's been driven hard or it has sat for a long period of time. To compare, you can check out my 03 X-Type on craigslist. I hope to have it on the forum shortly.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 AM

Thanks for the reply's guys, I have sent him a few questions and I hope to go test drive it this week. I'll post my findings.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Jclarkyall and fellow contributors, this mistifys me :
The rim got bent on a pothole so I replaced it. It's still in good condition and you could have it repaired (about $50 locally)
Now if the guy replaced it? Why is "IT" still in good condition? Maybe I missed something. I would have the guy replace the wind shield too as they (I believe!) are or can be a pain to replace, I also agree with the guys, the price is high and the castrol comment is "sales bluff". I don't think the guy knows much as Thermo quite rightly pointed out plus there are points here that don't make the car "Good to GO!"
It could actually be a GREAT CAR, but I would be careful and if in doubt, an inspection might be the way to go.... GOOD LUCK!!! Regards, Stu

Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

This COULD be a good car, but like everyone else said, there are just enough questions to make you wonder. The two things that pop out most to me concern the transfer case and the heater core. By 2005 issues with them seem to be a lot fewer than earlier models. Ask about the circumstances on that and if the fluid has ever been changed prior to replacing. The other thing is the heater core. Can't say that I recall seeing any posts on that as being an issue. The last thing would be to ask if the car has the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). This is pretty much a base level model and it might not be on there. Kind of hard to tell from the picture. Why that is an issue is if you do not have it you could get stuck easily in snow. Do a search on here to learn more about that. On the other hand, if after talking with him, seeing the car and getting your questions answered it might be a solid car. I would agree to get him down on price some. And it is never a bad idea to get it independently inspected.

Trending Topics

Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

It seems to me that it may have been in an unreported accident. There is just too much fixed on this car for it to have all just happened to go bad at once. I would look at it with skepticism due to it's replacements instead of with optimism.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Disguay,
You hit the nail on the head!
I was thinking that as well.
No explanation of the windscreen is good enough for me. There are people everywhere who advertise items for sale and the info is bad. It's quite simple really, if they are not supplying the correct info ie (you, the seller will require!) then they should jog off somewhere else. I do not like people who show for sale items, especially a vehicle and they don't show a pic, or fail to (mention in the UK) whether the car is taxed or mot'd.
I like to believe there are "up front and honest" people out there but people who are vague and want "offers", to me are simply money grabbers and without the right info, they are hiding something, hmm, methinks!
Be Damn careful!!! Stu

Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

A recent accident could be possible, but that would be easy enough to tell if it was repainted or looks like it was damaged and fixed underneath, especially if you get it professionally inspected. The rest of the things listed seem more like routine maintenance stuff. The propshaft is not an unusual replacement. The windshield I could easily see that. Not something urgent that affects driving the car. How many of us have put things off for a while until you "get around to it". On the other hand, if he is as meticulous as claimed, that would have been something you could say he would have replaced right away. At least he was upfront about it in the ad. Same with the bent rim. Not that unusual. I have had three of them on my Arubas. He bought a new one and kept the old one and again, something that you might fix one day, but nothing urgent, I would be more interested to know if he owned it from new or just a short while. What kind of stands out to me is selling it 3 weeks after replacing the transfer case. Why right then? Is it really because he JUST got a company car that recently? You certainly need to talk to him in person and actually see the car to get a better feel, but overall, I don't think there is anything nefarious going on there. Do your due diligence and that should point in in the direction to go. Let us know how it comes out.