Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xtype Rust !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM
LAD
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Xtype Rust !!

I'm a returning member, returning because I didn't really get any help last time I asked this, but will try again. I have a 2003 XType with rust in the rocker panels and what I've heard called an "A" frame. This was not a used jag, purchased it new in '03. This will become a "cancer" if i don't tend to it, don't want to sell it, but got NO help from Jag headquarters OR dealer. Can anyone help me ?????

Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

what has the dealer said to you about coverage of the rust under the 6 year body warranty?

And yes, if you intend to keep the car you need to deal with the rust issue asap.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
LAD
Default Rust X type

thanks Chris for the response, I hope I'm doing this right... anyway, when I first reported the rust, it was 6 days over the 6 year warranty, therefore they had to contact the mfg. Months went by and no response, took it in for routine service, mentioned it again, now 1 year later, and found the dealer would not back the rust b/c over warranty, Jaguar wouldn't back the rust b/c also over warranty..... even tried to mention my original request being that of 6 days over warranty, they treated me like it was cosmetic and no big deal. I found it's rusting from the inside out due to faulty desgin of an AWD car. No rust proofing in the rocker panels. (I'm doing my best not to say choice words here). what are your thoughts?

Last edited by LAD; 01-28-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
LAD

thanks Chris, I sent a reply but I think the wrong way (i'm new at this), the dealer said originally it was over 6 days and need to speak with the mfg. time passed, once Jaguar finally got involved they said way over warranty date even with explanation. I found it's rusting from the inside out, therefore when noticed, it's way too late. the problem is they designed an AWD car without rust proof protection for sand/salt and won't stand behind the car..... comments here ??

Old 01-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

That is unfortunate and sounds like some suspect customer service. If it was 6 days after the factory warranty expired, they may have you, although rust generally doesn't spread real fast in 6 days. It would be obvious that the problem existed during the warranty period if you ask me. But that would be logical and logic is not always a factor.

You are not alone, if that helps. Many owners have reported this issue, particularily those in Canada and the US snow belt region. I don't know if anyone on this board has actually gotten Jaguar do do any rust removal work? Chime in if so......

So if you have hit a dead end at the dealer, might I suggest you go to at least two or three auto body shops to get some estimates.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 AM
LAD
Default X Type Rust

You're absolutely correct, there is no logic here. I know I have a case and I researched this issue starting in 2009 summer, there are a couple of persons on this site that have had this issue, one of which actually got resolution but I'm not prepared to go to Headquarters to fight it. I have checked with auto body shops and the quotes range, but are all 5k and up. That's almost what the car is worth !!!! It pisses me off, expecially when the dealer, prior to this, persisted on my trading it in so they can put it on the lot for 3x's what they wanted to give me. (I should've gave it to them then if you know what I mean. I think if I can get enough of people together to cause a rucas against Jaguar, may be that would push them to do something. Grant you, this is not the top of the line Jag but it was still good money and to have it now worth ZERO because of this sucks. I can't believe Jag won't stand behind there cars !!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, that's terrible. Is there another dealer somewhat close to you that might give you a better answer? Just a thought.

5k is pretty high - what does that include? Are they replacing parts? How bad really is the rust - is it just coming through the rockers or is your unibody in real bad shape?

If you are a handy DIY'er you might be able to do the rust removal and patching yourself and then have your work sprayed by a pro. I've done this many times in the past, but it takes practice, time, effort....as I get older I have a lot less of the last 2!

For example, two summers ago I was in a wreck and completely mangled the front of my car. Total bill to fix was over 9 grand, but that was replacing and painting damn near everything.

Maybe you post up a couple of pics and we can take a look.....and where are you located? That might help....

As for taking it to Jaguar....you'd probably be better off trying to get resolution for just yourself than trying to organize a class action type of deal....just my opinion.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 PM
LAD

What I discovered is the car is rusting from the inside, out. This means once it surfaces to the plain eye, the damage is done. My husband is pretty good with retoration (currently working on a '28 Chevy), he set out to repair what we thought was cosmetic, rust appearing on the sill panel of the drivers side door. He removed the Jag panel and started sanding off rust, and to his amazement, his hand went right through!! He was able to patch the metal, fill, prime, paint etc. It looks like brand new and the dealer said so as well, but the underlying problem of the inside of the cars frame is rusting out in eyesight. he certainly can't replace all the rocker panels, wheel wells, sill panels etc. This is from plain and simple, poor design!! The cost is minimal to Jaguar and I feel they should stand behind their car. Average people don't have 5k+ to through away on a car valued at 8k. I'm at my wits end, I have pics, put the dealer and Jag didn't seem to take the time to see the severity of this, so I don't see what benefit that would be. Any more suggestions, or am I again at a dead end.????