XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

fuel pressure regulator removal FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure regulator removal FAQ

hi can anyone tell me on how to remove and replace the fuel pressure regulator on a 96 xj6, thanks.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

It is not so difficult.
Here is the pictures of my case;

ジャガーX300 メンテ情報&パーツ販売 〜フュエルプレッシャーレギュレータ交換〜

1. open the fuel tank cap to release the inner pressure
2. remove the fuel pump relay, then crank it to use the fuel in the lines. by this procedure you can reduce the fuel pressure, which prevents the fuel from spurting when you disconnect the fuel line to remove the regulator
3. remove the regulator (check the link above)
4. the biggest problem will be the nut to fix the regulator to the bracket (see the attached picture, 8 is the nut) it is really stiff, so you will need a vice to remove it. i didn't have one, so i used a hammer and a long wrench to remove it.

once you can remove old regulator, it is easy to attach the new one.

Attached Thumbnails fuel pressure regulator removal FAQ-regulator.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by Japthug:
aholbro1 (07-21-2011), gooseman1107 (07-01-2021), rowland (04-25-2015), someguywithajag (05-21-2016)
Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks, I will add this to FAQs

Old 03-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Response to Fuel Pressure Regulator

Originally Posted by Japthug
It is not so difficult.
Here is the pictures of my case;

ジャガーX300 メンテ情報&パーツ販売 〜フュエルプレッシャーレギュレータ交換〜

1. open the fuel tank cap to release the inner pressure
2. remove the fuel pump relay, then crank it to use the fuel in the lines. by this procedure you can reduce the fuel pressure, which prevents the fuel from spurting when you disconnect the fuel line to remove the regulator
3. remove the regulator (check the link above)
4. the biggest problem will be the nut to fix the regulator to the bracket (see the attached picture, 8 is the nut) it is really stiff, so you will need a vice to remove it. i didn't have one, so i used a hammer and a long wrench to remove it.

once you can remove old regulator, it is easy to attach the new one.
I think i will leave the bracket on....I have not looked at it but i think i can break loose that nut either way with my torque wre, probably nch being nearly 3 feet long, nah, probably 24" but that should be enough leverage.

Mine is not bad as the vehicle runs so strong since i replaced the fuel filter (I posted my experience and how i did it) i thought about doing the regulator since i did the fuel filter which i purchased a Bosch. Mine has a Sagem on it.......but I know that SAGE is the german brand for Mercedes and it shows the Sagem that makes industrial things and such and can't find a SAGEM for the CAT XJ6 VDP 1997.

Any opinions on whether to replace it or not....A rule of thumb i grew up with was "If it is not broke don't fix it"

Old 03-12-2016, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Your rule of thumb is a good one!
Although with the help of japthugs guide it should not be a particularly difficult job, the mention of a tight nut and using 24" ++ breaker bars to release it tells me all I would need to know! It is usually the collateral damage that turns the simple jobs into the PITAs. If it ain't broke.....!

Old 03-12-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 1997 Fuel Pressure Regulator

I just replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator, replacing the SAGEM, of which was working OK but I could not tell you if it was to total specs as if new since the car is 20 years old....So, with my fuel mileage down to like 17.9 on average i changed it with a new BOSCH. I did make sure it was a 3.0 as far as the pressure was the same......(go to specs to get more info on the 3.0)

It took me 5 minutes to get the regulator off. I didn't have to remove the bracket as in the other post about his nightmare about getting the nut off the regulator and away from the bracket.

Important info here: The bracket does not have to be removed as the half moon end that hold the bracket around the neck of the regulator or the tail end, the bracket is made to flex, yes flex......you just flex it enough to get out the regulator.

I used a 19MM on the fuel flange nuts and then I used my torque wrench with a deep well 7/8 standard socket, just my choice,and broke the nut loose easily. I spun off the nut and washer, pulled off the vacuum from the engine side and pulled the regulator right out. I then put the vacuum hose on the new one, sli it back in place, tighten up the short line, closest to the fuel rail to make sure it seated properly, then bracket it off, then hooked up the main line and tightened the nut with the 19mm to be sure off seating properly, backed the nut back off, then put on the 7/8 bracket nut and washer which straightened the "Flexible" end of the bracket which made it very straight like it was never off, the hook up my fuel lines which already seated properly as i had said.

First thing i did was to crank the engine, pull the 30amp fuse for fuel pump and relay, let the car die, unhooked the battery, and i had zero pressure of fuel to get on me, then when i finished with regulator, i put my fuses back in hooked up the battery and turned the key to prime the regulator or pressurize it, I did this 3 times with the key without cranking the car. On the 4th turn i went all the way with the key with no miss, just like i never had it off......checked for leaks, test drove it and she took off like a leopard like then CAT she it.........Perfect. Zoom, Zoom.......