XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

2017 35t vs 2018 30t

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Austin7
Personally I'm not sure the letter "s' and the side skirts are worth the difference in pricing in my book...)

Jaguar Adds New Four-Cylinder 30t Model for XE, XF, F-Pace | News | Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Of course, compared to the 2017, the 2018 six cyclinder motor is the 380hp version. Still not worth the difference IMO.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NewCat
Everyone, thank you for your responses. I'm going to buy a car from a different brand.

I've been calling and talking to dealers all over the Midwest for a month now... trying to locate a 2017 35t AWD or 2018 XE 20/25T AWD in the build and color that I wanted. That's been difficult, on it's own. After talking to a dozen or more dealerships... Most sales people state they'll call me back with pricing, and availability, and then they don't..
It's interesting. I had a similar experience trying to get a dealer to call me back as well. I'd already test driven the car and knew what I wanted. I couldn't seem to get any of the 4 dealers I called to give me a call back. I'd talk to a salesperson who said they'd get me numbers and call me back. They'd ask me to send them the build from the website via email which I would do and then I would never hear from them. I would even send followup emails to them and 2 of them never bothered to email me back. (email addresses were correct as they would send me an email first to confirm their email address) In fact one salesperson I talked to and explained the issue I was having getting someone to talk to me said "Well that's not how I do things, I like to actually sell cars." He never contacted me again after sending him a build. I was on the verge of going with a different vehicle altogether just like you because I got the impression that Jaguar felt as if I should feel it an honor to be able to buy a car from them vs them being happy I was wanting to purchase from them. Luckily I finally had one dealer step up and got in touch with a salesperson that was willing to not only find me a car, but put some work into finding the exact car I wanted. I say luckily because I REALLY enjoy the car, but I too was close to going with something else.

Originally Posted by guppydriver
Of course, compared to the 2017, the 2018 six cyclinder motor is the 380hp version. Still not worth the difference IMO.
Might not be for some for sure, but if you want some of the other features, option for option, the "S" engine is only $2000 more compared to a similarly equipped 30T Prestige (but also adds the body kit, red calipers, suede inserts in the seats, and a nicer quality dash) Only about $1000 more than a 30T R-Sport. To some though I know many of the features and options aren't even wanted so a Premium is plenty. This doesn't factor in discounts off MSRP that are available now on the 2017s, but just an '18 vs '18 comparison.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

NewCat

Drive them both and make sure it's the best fit for you. I obtained an extended test drive and drove the 35t for 5 days (You should ask for the same / Good dealers will do this with service vehicles in any configuration). I wouldn't go with the 4cyl engine IMPO given the fact this car looks so good and the sound is awesome with the V6. I only wish we had the noisy exhaust as in the F-Type.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

New thread started here, the 4Cyl is not getting rave reviews....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...engine-189857/

Old 09-29-2017, 12:23 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>New thread started here, the 4Cyl is not getting rave reviews....

When does the new in-line 6 arrive?
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 09-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

IMO, the problem with these high output, small displacement engines is that they feel really weak when not in boost... which is pretty much always until you're mashing the throttle to overtake/merge. Yes, the power is there, but only when you really dig into the throttle enough to generate boost. This is a totally separate issue from turbo lag.

So even if JLR could tune the 2.0L I4 to 340 bhp to match the V6, at the end of the day you're still driving around with 33% less displacement... and you're going to notice it around town. On the track, probably less of an issue... but that's not where these cars are driven 99.9% of the time.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alphakinase
IMO, the problem with these high output, small displacement engines is that they feel really weak when not in boost... which is pretty much always until you're mashing the throttle to overtake/merge. Yes, the power is there, but only when you really dig into the throttle enough to generate boost. This is a totally separate issue from turbo lag.

So even if JLR could tune the 2.0L I4 to 340 bhp to match the V6, at the end of the day you're still driving around with 33% less displacement... and you're going to notice it around town. On the track, probably less of an issue... but that's not where these cars are driven 99.9% of the time.
I think this is rectified, or at least made more tolerable, with the use of the paddles shifters. The car is a rocket when I downshift to third to gain some speed.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I blame the turbo lag/low power/auto stop problems on the stinking CAFE standards. Just think how much more fun this car would be without all the government intrusion into fuel economy.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

V6 is the only correct choice if you have the extra money

Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Thank you all for the response.

I have a 2L turbo car now. Turbolag can be annoying, but on my car putting it onto Sport Mode eliminates that. It's definitely programming that causes it, not hardware.

I was asking about the v6 Supercharged engine being phased out, because right now JaguarUSA lists 2L i4 turbo engines for all 3 variants of the 2018 XE. Doesn't list a Supercharged V6.

I avoided getting the 2017 XE 2L turbo since that ecoboost engine was being eliminated across both lines. I just don't want to be in a situation 5 years from now where I need a timing chain tensioner or something, and I can't get it.
I don't think you would ever be in that positition. There are so many of those engines already in service, and the 5.0L shares the same FEAD system and timing system as well.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 10-12-2017, 11:02 AM

What is going on with the 2018s? Jag USA says the available XE models are 20d, 25t, 30t, and S. All of the dealers in the Philly area are advertising 35t's, although they are using Jag supplied artwork for the car picture. I did find one dealer that has an actual picture of what they are advertising as a "2018 35t Portfolio limited edition" and it has the 35t badge on the trunk.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys,

I was originally looking at leasing 2018 25t Prestige but the dealers in Chicago aren't willing to negotiate that much and it's really hard to tell if I'm getting a decent deal (especially since it's a lease). So I expanded my search and found a 2017 35t Prestige. It has the technology package, vision package and heated windshield. MSRP is $55,893 and it's listed for $47,893. It's a loaner car so sort of "used" and I don't know how many miles it has on it. What do you think should be the correct price of this car given it's a loaner and the 35t is being discontinued (replaced with the 30t). Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-20-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Byrus
Hi guys,

I was originally looking at leasing 2018 25t Prestige but the dealers in Chicago aren't willing to negotiate that much and it's really hard to tell if I'm getting a decent deal (especially since it's a lease). So I expanded my search and found a 2017 35t Prestige. It has the technology package, vision package and heated windshield. MSRP is $55,893 and it's listed for $47,893. It's a loaner car so sort of "used" and I don't know how many miles it has on it. What do you think should be the correct price of this car given it's a loaner and the 35t is being discontinued (replaced with the 30t). Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!
Byrus,

If it is a loaner, you really have to know if it RWD or AWD, the mileage and condition to verify the deal. I have found that edmunds.com matches up pretty well once you put the info in. If it is AWD, outstanding condition, and has less than 4,000 miles on it, they put it at $45 for a private party sale, $47.3 dealer retail, and $48.6 for certified pre-owned (extended warranty included).

I think the 35t is a plus, not a negative. The mid year 30t has the turbo 4 and less horsepower.

FYI - In September I purchased a NEW 35t Prestige with tech, vision, comfort, heated windshield with a list of $58 for $47.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:25 AM

Thanks, it's AWD. That is helpful.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

In my opinion, I'd be offering $40-41K for the loaner 35t AWD. Anything more, and it should come with a CPO warranty.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:11 AM

In my opinion, I'd be offering $40-41K for the loaner 35t AWD. Anything more, and it should come with a CPO warranty.
Thanks. I don't think they'll give the cpo as they seem the car new.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:26 AM

Thanks. I don't think they'll give the cpo as they seem the car new.

I recently bought a car that was a service loaner. On their website, they called it "new" but it was listed in the used car section. The first quote they sent me called it new. When I went to do the paperwork, they called it a Used car on the final price quote. My insurance company called it a used car because it had more than 4000 miles. The purchase paperwork from the dealer called it a used car.

I asked a few times for CPO on the car, since they called it a used car. They said it would be an extra $1200. I paid it. And I got my CPO paperwork at the time of purchase.

Overall.. it's a used car. They're just screwing with you.

Just for reference, my car was listed at $51K MSRP new. I paid $38K for it, no trade in, and got 0.9% financing. I think you could go a little less because the 2017 35t is out of production now. So they're trying to sell a car that doesn't exist in 2018 as a 6cyl supcharged engine.

Last edited by NewCat; 10-22-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:52 AM

So they're trying to sell a car that doesn't exist in 2018 as a 6cyl supcharged engine.

Plenty of 2018 35Ts on the dealer lots with the 340HP engine. They never showed as an available option to order on the website, but dealers seem to have plenty of them and they are indeed 2018s.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by carpenter75
Plenty of 2018 35Ts on the dealer lots with the 340HP engine. They never showed as an available option to order on the website, but dealers seem to have plenty of them and they are indeed 2018s.
I didn't see those in my search in September. Could they be 2017's that Jaguar NA retagged?

Old 10-22-2017, 11:01 AM

I didn't see those in my search in September. Could they be 2017's that Jaguar NA retagged?
Great question. I'm not sure how that all works. I'm guessing dealers were still able to order some 2018 35Ts still in Jul/Aug/Sep. I was doing a lot of building out cars on the website in late July and early Aug and sending builds to a few different dealers. One day I could order the 35T as a 2017, the next day it was gone and the only options were the current 2018 lineup on the website. Never a mention of a 2018 35T via the website, yet lots of them for sale.