XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Auto Stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Stop

Hi guys,

i have a 2016 XE 20d.
The auto stop function has stopped shutting the engine off while in traffic etc.
i took it on a long drive over the weekend and it started working again the next morning. But then it stopped again and it hasn't shut the motor since, not even in Eco mode.
What could be the problem?

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I am experiencing the same "issue" even though my car is 3L Petrol.

The manual states that Start-Stop depends on a variety of factors such as engine temperature, outside temperature, AC mode etc.

I was going to ask my dealer during the next visit. It is strange but might have to do something with outside temperature and AC constantly running.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 PM

I thought so too. I tried turning everything off such as aircon lights etc but still nothing. When it did work the other day it was when the engine was cold. Maybe I will give them a call tomorrow and ask the question.
Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-13-2017, 01:39 PM

Sure thing.

I will post what the dealer says.
I have my appointment on the 18th.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:42 AM

Thank you.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:19 AM
KC-
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe it is due to the aircon and how long the car has been on for. If I have my aircon in auto it shuts off only momentarily then turns back on. Especially if the engine has not warmed up enough. The auto start/stop in the car is far from perfect. I drove a new 2 series in a road-trip and the auto start/stop worked so seemlesy and only didn't shut off the engine if I had it in sport mode.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Just disconnect it and you won't need to think about it.
Lawrence

Old 07-14-2017, 01:10 PM

Turning it off doesn't really solve the issue now does it.
😄

Old 07-14-2017, 01:43 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Yikes!

If you can bear it, put up with it’s unpredictability, and get used to it over time, please don’t disconnect it. I’ve read a great many posts from the UK Jaguar forums (they express their irritations about Auto Stop/start way more than we US owners do), so I think I understand all the behavioral patterns of Auto stop/start.

But it has been heavily mis-understood WHAT the darned device has been put in the car FOR: Yes, there is a little fuel savings involved, but it’s not really there for the driver’s benefit
It’s there because of the agreement that many countries made in those global conferences, to cut down on the waste emissions that fill the air. Yep, that global-warming, greenhouse issue that we still argue about. Each country said, “yes, we promise to make our contribution by starting to institute programs in our country that factories, car makers, etc will have to follow…yadda, yadda.”
Jaguar and other car makers agreed to make their contribution by making a car that shuts off its exhaust every time you try to idle the car. Let's say you have 10 cars at a red light turn off their engines. Just 10 (5 cars travelling west, 5 going on the east side), and the red light lasts 20 seconds. If you think about how many times that traffic light turns red during the day (10 cars each time it turns red), and count up the total number of traffic lights there are in a typical US city…..*&^%, that ends up being a ton of car exhaust that you eliminate.

Took me a lot of internal fighting with myself to finally leave it alone and let my Auto stop do its job stop while I’m driving. Now it hardly feels like an annoyance at all, but it did take a while.

But the top-controlling system in your XE is the “Energy Management” software pack.
Car makers learned that the biggest problem owners caused for these new cars, was that we kept draining the poor battery with our whimsy habits, plugging in 3 phones, playing the speakers at full blast, leaving cabin lights on, running AC or heated seats constantly. Owners were getting towed off the streets all from dead batteries.
It’s the “Energy Management” system that’s been put into your car now, to stop the poor battery from getting killed. Energy Management has the authority to cancel a lot of devices in your car, including the Auto stop/start program.

So, frustrating as it already is for you to see a pattern in the way Auto Start/stop does its job, it will REGULARLY get cancelled ANY time during your trip, when the Energy Management system feels the engine needs to keep feeding power to some important part of the car (usually the thirsty car battery).
Examples:
--Standing at a red light, car radio volume at 57, headlights and wipers ON… Auto stop won’t activate (need to keep the car battery charging).

--Standing at a red light, right hand pulling on the steering wheel because it’s 7pm and you’re tired and your arms hurt… Auto stop won’t activate (tugging pressure on the steering wheel countermands the Auto stop trigger).

--Backing up in your driveway, put the car in Park, getting out the car to open the driveway gate… Auto stop activates (because you unbuckled your driver-seatbelt—Auto stop activates as a safety-liability feature)

--Standing at a red light, rear window defogger on, AC full blast but on “Auto-AC”, and radio volume at 20… Auto stop activates (because Auto-AC doesn’t sap the power as much as manual-AC does--)

--Standing at a red light, no lights on, no AC on, just heated seats ON and radio volume at 16… Auto stop won’t activate (heated-seats device uses a TON of electrical power).

The list of conditions goes on and on, and it’s not the fault of the Auto start/stop. It’s the decision of that other software unit working in your car, the Energy Management program.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 07-14-2017 at 01:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KC- (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Great reply. Thank you for taking the time to write it!

Old 07-19-2017, 02:46 PM

My start-stop started working again on its own. I have not changed anything...

I had to reschedule my appointment with the dealer so I don't have any answers.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 AM

Ok, thanks for the feedback.
I will wait and see what mine does.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just learned to live with the auto Start/Stop feature, which I understand is a mandatory standard on all 2019+ vehicles moving forward. It scares me more than anything when lifting my foot off the brake and the car restarting, not to mention the loss of climate control when the engine disengages.

For me the choice is either a ECU tune when I can eliminate this option, or simply by muscle memory push the start button and immediately push the auto Start/Stop button to disengage this function. The latter is the most recommended. Sometimes I forget after short drives and when it shuts down my wife and I look at each other and the feeling is WTH.

I get the idea, however if I am the first person at a stop light, the economic effect is nullified, if you know what I mean . ;-)

As told by many members of this forum this is NOT a sedan, but a sports car in disguise which I agree, so drive it as such. Maybe with a 20D, this would be ok, but with an XE S, NO WAY! This is why I got this beast.

Happy driving

Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Where did you find in writing that all cars in 2019+ will have this feature? Does it apply to all cars or just car of certain criteria?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 PM

BigCat

I will have to dig up the specific article regarding the auto start/stop feature that seems to be tied to the global emissions initiative, but may have lost ground with Trump's entrance into the WH. I cannot find the law, nor may one exist at this time, but it's on the table for sure. Look at all the manufacturers that are switching their vehicles to this technology as of 2018.

Reverse cameras are for sure a mandatory addon to all vehicles, and I for one am all in for this given the correct camera systems as this is certainly a safety factor. I love mine for the Jag and it is superior to everything I have driven recently. In fact I just got back from a business trip in Jacksonville with a new Challenger and no back up camera. Really... this car sucks for rear view vision. I felt naked without it.

To be honest I don't believe there are any Federal laws on the books yet with respect to Start/Stop feature on cars, but have no mistakes, it's coming. It might not be law in the states, but for sure it's going to be a mandate across the globe. Look at all the manufacturers adding this a as standard feature or an option.

Stats suggest a 3-10 percent in fuel waste, which is debatable. Given the global emission and environment issues this is coming sooner rather than later.

The following users liked this post:
NewLester de Rocin (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

We are in agreement, Shagman.

The rear camera is (LOL) probably the greatest contributor to:

reduced paint manufacturing (for when the wife dings the polymer paint off your bumper rubbing it on those parking lot blocks)…

reduced fossil oil to manufacture plastics (for when your teenage son TEARS your plastic bumper up rubbing a tree—and the shop has to order a whole new bumper panel)…

reduced glass production and trunk carpeting milling (since the car maker can now make a smaller rear windshield, so when your teenage daughter gives the one-finger salute to the driver behind her, the driver can’t see her do it and get enough road-rage to deliberately cave in your whole rear end)…

I like the XE’s camera a TON. One of the all-time best angle/field of view I’ve had on a car---you don’t really realize it until you’ve been in a car with a google-eyed awful camera. Even higher priced luxury cars like the Mazerati have terrible rear cameras. Jaguar really did their rear camera well.

As I understand it, the only thing that’s mandatory is that the cars have SOME KIND of gadget to start reducing the exhaust fumes. The Auto-stop/start is still kind of young, and has its glitches. Some car manufacturers have chosen a smooth-sounding setup that uses the same starter as the one you engage when you start the car in the morning (their Auto-stop is so silent, you have no idea it’s even working)---but the fear is that it’s wearing out the poor starter 5 times sooner than a normal car. Other makers like Jaguar have chosen a heavy-duty separate starter (to take the wear-n-tear off the regular starter the driver uses), but the “separate starter” version is rough and obvious when operating, and the driver has to suffer the annoyance.

I’m confident that over 3 or 7 years, the “Auto-stop” concept might get replaced altogether with a different mechanism that cuts down the fumes far more effectively than “turning off the car” every traffic light. This is not the end of the adventure in eco-friendly… we’re only in the first baby steps.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:30 PM

Love the animated icons.

I wouldn't mind the auto start/stop feature if the vehicle didn't jerk every time it did its thing. Freaks me out at every light having a brand new UNIQUE car it feels like some knuckle head behind me just bumped me. I am always, like, WTF who hit me! So it is just now part of my pre-flight checklist to push the START button and then immediately push the auto Start/Stop button. Short of an ECU tune that is the best you can do.

I get the saving the environment thing, but in all honesty this car is not going to help that cause as all. It screams, faster, faster, is that all you got....

Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 AM

My Stop Start started working again and was done for a week and then started working on and off since then.

I must be honest, the feature irritates me, and that jerk when the restart happens is most annoying! I had an Audi A4 TDi before the Jag, and the the Audi's stop start was by far superior to this system.

It's not the fact that I want to save the environment etc, the contribution my car will make is minimal, it is the fact that a system that should be working (when I want it to) isn't. That annoys me the most.