XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Which extras are worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Did anyone say parking sensors? You absolutely need those on this car. That front lip is low enough to scrape on just about everything larger than a snail, and I find they really help avoid that.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are people paying out the door for XE S? I'm thinking of getting one but don't know if I should wait a few months for a used one bc depreciation or get a used r sport now or if I can haggle at the dealerships for a new one

Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandru Doncea
What are people paying out the door for XE S? I'm thinking of getting one but don't know if I should wait a few months for a used one bc depreciation or get a used r sport now or if I can haggle at the dealerships for a new one
Consider a lease on a XE. I thought the rates were competitive considering the sticker price. 3 years of a new car and you can walk away with no hassle. If you want another JLR car, you can get like 2K off, out of lease early, and less money down on the next one.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:04 PM

What kind of credit score is needed for a lease with Jlr?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alexandru Doncea
What kind of credit score is needed for a lease with Jlr?
If you have to ask... Maybe a lease is not ideal? In all seriousness, I don't know but I would think you'd need to be 700+? They lease via Chase FWIW.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Good to know! My credit score is slightly above 700 and I've purchased many cars with Chase so I think I will be fine, but they can be pretty tough JP Morgan hates lending nowadays

Old 03-07-2018, 01:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like I'll be ordering it today. It's going to be the 25t petrol AWD.

Going for caesium blue, no privacy glass (didn't like it at the showroom), gloss black window surrounds, and side air intakes and front grille, xenon headlights, standard 5030 wheels, ebony/eclipse seats, etched aluminium veneer, ebony headlining. Cold climate pack, Pro navigation with meridian (not the surround version though), folding/heated mirrors, space saver wheel, air quality sensor, keyless entry, 40/20/40 seat, parking pack (just the rear camera and front sensors), service plan, luxury mats, rubber luggage liner.

Sadly I've cut out nearly all of the 'cool' stuff to get the price down to my target. So that means no HUD, no powered boot, no autoparking thing. None of them were really convincing me.

I've not gone near the motorway lane/cruise control stuff because I don't do enough driving that way to justify it. I'd never get used to them to the point where I'd be comfortable using them.

I'm skipping the seat upgrades. I've not really looked at them at all. Basically I'd be adding £900 to get the electric lumbar support as it'd mean switching from 8 way manual to 10 way electric seats. I'm the only person that will drive this car so I don't need memory settings either.

There is a pack which has the HUD and all of the road safety features together together for a decent discount but it would add £2,400 to the price. I'm not going for it... but I'm open to hear what anyone has to say on it, in case anyone feels I'm making a mistake.

I'm not getting the adaptive dynamics. The only attraction there was the adaptive surface response. Reviews aren't kind on this, unless I've misunderstood them. I don't know if having the AWD engine makes any difference to that. Adding it adds just over £1K to the price.

I'm not upgrading the front brakes, although it's not an expensive upgrade. Not unless someone tells me it's a bargain not to be missed.

I really do appreciate the help I've got here, thanks very much folks!

Old 03-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gsus

There is a pack which has the HUD and all of the road safety features together together for a decent discount but it would add £2,400 to the price. I'm not going for it... but I'm open to hear what anyone has to say on it, in case anyone feels I'm making a mistake.

I'm not getting the adaptive dynamics. The only attraction there was the adaptive surface response. Reviews aren't kind on this, unless I've misunderstood them. I don't know if having the AWD engine makes any difference to that. Adding it adds just over £1K to the price.
I like all the safety features and HUD although I read the HUD is behind what other marques offer. Adaptive Dynamics I would skip as you still get Dynamic mode, right? AWD I could take it or leave it, but you'll be hard pressed to find a V6 Jag on the lot in my locale that was not AWD across the whole Jaguar portfolio.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:09 PM

The adaptive dynamics because I live in Scotland and the weather is often freezing. That's why I went AWD too - last week I was in hospital with nothing to do but watch the cars struggle on the road outside, all sorts of RWD cars looking like supermarket shopping trolleys with a stuck wheel.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:44 PM

Turns out I can't say no to extras and ended up getting more than I had originally intended.

I ended up ordering it in caesium blue, with the blue/black seats, spare wheel, cold climate pack, power pack, lighting pack, advanced parking pack, black pack, adaptive dynamics, adaptive surface response, configurable dynamics, 350mm brakes, incontrol pro with meridian sound, air quality sensor, 40/20/40 back seat, folding/dimming mirrors, 18 way adjustable seats, blind spot assist, blind spot monitor reverse detection, lane keep assist, sports pedal covers, luggage rubber liner, luxury mats.....

The following 2 users liked this post by Gsus:
Ian D (03-10-2018), mosesbotbol (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

You can’t stop with those extras. Some good ones there, I really noticed the difference with the brakes by the way when I had a loan car and felt like I had to give much more press of the pedal to get the same braking power. Well worth it imo. I have the 14 way seats in mine, the extra 18 way part gives base movement and inflatable side bolsters. I had those in my XK which were great but made the option way too expensive for me.

You not going for keyless entry?

Only thing I really wanted but didn’t get was the electric boot lid, I just wanted to stay under the £40k bracket due to the new VED laws I didn’t want to pay £450 per year for the period I have the car.

Last edited by Ian D; 03-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:15 PM

My thinking is that I'll have this car for a long time, I'm paying most of it as a deposit and only putting £3K on HP finance to get the jaguar discount. If I was doing a PCP and handing it back after 3 or 4 years then I'd have not done them.

The 14 way seats only saved £95, so I thought I'd go the whole way. Swapping the 18 for the 10 way plus 4 way lumbar showed a reduction of £95.

I didn't get the sunroof, the self driving cruise control, or the 30t engine.

Keyless entry comes with the power pack - it does keyless entry, powered boot and extra power points unless I've misunderstood.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah the power convenience pack gives all those features, I have two of three of those, just didn’t have the power boot lid.

The sunroof I never bothered with either as I’d never use it. The 30t engine wasn’t available when I ordered my 25t, it came out 3 weeks later. The seats are so much more comfortable than the manual ones as you get a lot more control over how you want them.

Good choice anyway, enjoy, it won’t come soon enough! It was around 10 weeks wait to get mine.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:16 PM

Yeah they've told me 2 to 3 months. I've just had an operation and should be bed bound but wanted to get the car ordered so went to the showroom a couple of times to deal with it. For the next month or so I'd not be able to drive it.

I'm not sure what effect the extras will have, the way they were talking at the showroom nobody orders as many as I did. I hope that doesn't cause any problems.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian D
Yeah the power convenience pack gives all those features, I have two of three of those, just didn’t have the power boot lid.

The sunroof I never bothered with either as I’d never use it. The 30t engine wasn’t available when I ordered my 25t, it came out 3 weeks later. The seats are so much more comfortable than the manual ones as you get a lot more control over how you want them.

Good choice anyway, enjoy, it won’t come soon enough! It was around 10 weeks wait to get mine.
It's interesting to see the different way Jaguar sells cars across the markets. In the US (and I think Canada) you don't get an option to not have a sunroof even on the base XE. It is a standard feature (build into the price though I am sure)

Old 03-10-2018, 03:33 PM

I have a sunroof in my car at the moment, I've owned it for 2 years and never used it.

I don't even get the idea of a sunroof... I've never thought "Oh what a lovely day, I wish I had a bit of the roof behind and to the left of me open.

I can vaguely remember in the 80s having a sunroof being some kind of status symbol on your car but I might be mistaken. Are modern sunroofs much larger? Is it nearly as wide as the car itself?

Old 03-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsus
I have a sunroof in my car at the moment, I've owned it for 2 years and never used it.

I don't even get the idea of a sunroof... I've never thought "Oh what a lovely day, I wish I had a bit of the roof behind and to the left of me open.

I can vaguely remember in the 80s having a sunroof being some kind of status symbol on your car but I might be mistaken. Are modern sunroofs much larger? Is it nearly as wide as the car itself?

I would have skipped the sunroof, especially if it was a $1000 option. The sunroof itself (glass top) is a pretty decent size so it lets a lot of light in when closed. When it's open however the open hole is only about half the size of the sunroof as it doesn't slide back very far. Kind of makes it pointless.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:03 PM

Yeah that's not great. £1,045 extra which is $1,450.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carpenter75
I would have skipped the sunroof, especially if it was a $1000 option. The sunroof itself (glass top) is a pretty decent size so it lets a lot of light in when closed. When it's open however the open hole is only about half the size of the sunroof as it doesn't slide back very far. Kind of makes it pointless.

I am not a fan of how the sunroof looks when fully open. I do love how much light is brought into the car

Old 03-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default My Necessary Extra- Radard Detection and Laser Defense

Top of my list: Aftermarket install of integrated radar detection system and Laser Defense System (oh yeah...and it serves as parking sensors too if they ask you what's this..). The ALP system is expensive, but has paid for itself already, I've already passed several speed traps in Austin where they were popping laser and I was flying...and left LEOs with nothing but a confused look on their face!

Very satisfying. See if you can see the two laser sensors in my grille, they are tiny!

AL Priority USA - Official USA Site for the Best Laser Jammer from 2013-2017

Attached Thumbnails Which extras are worth it?-xe-alp-netradar-front-grille-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Which extras are worth it?