XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Painted my rims on weekend project

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Painted my rims on weekend project

So I plasti dipped my rims last weekend and the front bumper wind breakers a couple weeks before that. I think they look great considering I really disliked how originals looked and was not going to shell out what dealer wants for an upgrade. Total cost about $30.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The rims look great. I was thinking about doing that as well. Instead, I did the calipers in red. :0

Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

They look great for a homemade DIY.

I am not a fan of black rims in general so I would not do it for myself. Especially since I really love Templars' two tone finish.

How labor intensive is that plasti dip thing?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well taping the wheels and attaching newspapers around wheels probably took the most work, I would say an hour to two. The spray itself is a lot easier then I thought it would be and plasti dip is very forgiving. Couple times it got a bit too cold and started shooting bigger blobls, quickly adjusted the issue by warming the can up in warm water or just shook the can better and sprayed again. The dots kind of disappeared on their own after that. The wheels look perfect, like straight from factory. I did wait 20 to 30 minutes between each coat and I did 5. So that took about two hours but I did other work around the yard in between coats.