XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

What brought you to an XE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:03 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 241 Likes on 208 Posts
Default What brought you to an XE?

Hey, wondering what and why you guys ended up owning an XE?

There has been a lot of chatter over on the S-Type list of how S-Type owners aren't really interested in owing a current Jaguar, other than F-Types, particularly due to the current styling.

Everyone over there thinks the current Jaguar don't seem visually distinctive and don't really see anything that sets them apart from Audis, BMWs, Mercs, Teslas. No one can figure out why someone would own a Jaguar if nobody knew what it was...

So, what brought you to a Jaguar and would you own a new XE, etc.?

Personally, when my car reaches the end of the road I believe that I will look for a CPO XK coupe, 5.0 NA.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 03-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Hey, wondering what and why you guys ended up owning an XE?

There has been a lot of chatter over on the S-Type list of how S-Type owners aren't really interested in owing a current Jaguar, other than F-Types, particularly due to the current styling.

Everyone over there thinks the current Jaguar don't seem visually distinctive and don't really see anything that sets them apart from Audis, BMWs, Mercs, Teslas. No one can figure out why someone would own a Jaguar if nobody knew what it was...

So, what brought you to a Jaguar and would you own a new XE, etc.?

Personally, when my car reaches the end of the road I believe that I will look for a CPO XK coupe, 5.0 NA.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current Mine: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
We sold our S-Type to purchase the XE. Loved the new design,style and the great XE reports that were published. After a test drive we decided on the R-Sport in IRR. Since receiving the car we are amazed by the handling without compromising the ride. It is also different to the usual German Marques.
Whilst we liked the S JLR have moved on from the Ford ownership and the new designs take us into a new era.
Robert

The following users liked this post:
QwikCat (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 08:18 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 241 Likes on 208 Posts

>We sold our S-Type to purchase the XE.

Which model/engine did you have the the S-Type? Do you consider the 240hp V6 sufficient? How do you compare the space and fit/finish in the XE to what you had in the S-Type (discounting style, of course...)?
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)

Old 03-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by pab
>We sold our S-Type to purchase the XE.

Which model/engine did you have the the S-Type? Do you consider the 240hp V6 sufficient? How do you compare the space and fit/finish in the XE to what you had in the S-Type (discounting style, of course...)?
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
We had a 3ltr V6 S type. Yes the XE is a smaller car. Same size approx to BMW 3 series, Merc C etc. The fit and finish is superior.The car dynamic is a generation ahead,combining ride and handling.Just remember that the new ZF 8 speed gearbox is very good and combined with the V6 it is excellent.
Robert

Old 03-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 471 Posts

, not every one doesn't like the xe on th s type forum !
Maybe just those that posted , I did not post as I have even walked around an xe as yet , but can say I do adore the look of the new xe ! Although as the argument goes on about the style I will agree ,at its early stage of existence it really does not show much of Jaguars heritage , but I'm sure the qualety of biuld will or should represent and live up to the mark of our expectations ! I was not awere of the size diferance and I think that will be an exellent selling point ! As the s for a mid sized car is damn large ! I actuly think although the xe is distant from ford it reality does resemble the ford falcon in more ways than it does any jaguar that in includes the xf jag in my opinion too . There are defiantly styling ques taken from ford ! It looks to me that Tata took a trip to Australia bought a design flew home and designed a new front clip and wolaa
New xe ! Couldn't be more ford if thay tryed !
Don't get me rong I love the Falcons to bits and it's a great thing to have rub off on a jag model ,it's just not jaguar is all. It's ford/Tata

2016 New xe sport

2014 Ford falcon fg

2014 Ford falcon fg fpv gtp

Old 03-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The XE, to the best of my knowledge, was conceived and designed in the post-Ford era.

Since Ford have not resurrected the Falcon name in NA, this should not be an issue here.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat
The XE, to the best of my knowledge, was conceived and designed in the post-Ford era.

Since Ford have not resurrected the Falcon name in NA, this should not be an issue here.
Yes I'm awear of this but come on ! Did thay hire an Australian ford designer !
Or do thay just both compair notes at the same pub on Friday nights ?

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Am I the only one not seeing g the resemblance? The basic shape of the front end is the same as most cars nowadays. The grills look nothing alike. The headlights have a similar shape. Anything else????

Old 03-04-2016, 06:08 PM
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Datsports
It appears you want me to agree with you. Sorry, they look dissimilar to me.

Styling is subjective and appealing to each individual person. I am certain this is also true in New Zealand.

Perhaps we should all wait to hear from those who actually purchased or leased an XE as to what they thought of the styling inside and out.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 826 Likes on 520 Posts

There are defiantly styling ques taken from ford ! It looks to me that Tata took a trip to Australia bought a design flew home and designed a new front clip and wolaa
New xe ! Couldn't be more ford if thay tryed !
Don't get me rong I love the Falcons to bits and it's a great thing to have rub off on a jag model ,it's just not jaguar is all. It's ford/Tata
[/I]
Other than both being blue, I don't see it.

I actuly think although the xe is distant from ford it reality does resemble the ford falcon in more ways than it does any jaguar that in includes the xf jag in my opinion too .
[/I]
The XE resembles *every* Jaguar currently in production, far more than it does that Ford. I was one of the people who got to do the extended drive here in the U.S. and one day I parked the XE next to a XF and if anything it resembles the XF too much.

Here is a link to my review of the XE, and there is a discussion of the styling in the comments.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-drive-155904/

I think in person you won't see the XE the same way as in photo above.

Cheers

Old 03-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

No I don't expect any one to agree with my opinion on styling ques! But from what I have seen the xe looks remarkably close to the style of the xf , and I have personally seen an xfr parked beside a fg falcon xr8 and the simerlaretys were astounding ! So I will stand by my statement ! I know thay are compleatly differant cars from 2 separate company's , but in my eye and several others that were there with me will state the same thing !
This would in no way prevent me from buying one as to me the xe looks fantastic but does not look jaguar !

Old 03-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 826 Likes on 520 Posts

"but in my eye and several others that were there with me will state the same thing !"

I don't doubt it, but the problem is not Jag using Ford styling, but the other way around. Here is how I described it in the thread linked above:

Ford shamelessly rip-offs styling cues from the three luxury brands that used to be under the Ford umbrella -- Aston Martin grills on Fusions and Foci, Range Rover lines and details on Explorers, etc. That's Ford's fault and the rather stupid corporate decision to have design cues go interbrand.

This is in the US, but I assume it's true for Ford worldwide.

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts
Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
I don't doubt it, but the problem is not Jag using Ford styling, but the other way around. Here is how I described it in the thread linked above:

Ford shamelessly rip-offs styling cues from the three luxury brands that used to be under the Ford umbrella

This is in the US, but I assume it's true for Ford worldwide.
so true ,I'm hearing you on the fish mouth , its every were here ! but i don't see the model in jags wide and successful history that resembles the styling queues of the xf or xe, except the long low roof line and the badging!
were as ford australia seemed to evolve the falcon in there styling to be similar to the previous model through out time to get to the shape that it is today, not so for jags new models bar the f type , maybe its because jags old styling for sedans was just so damn good they never needed to change much for so long , that the natural progression for change when the time came was all as always going to be a big 'leap'.

the fish mouth fgx falcon

jag xfrs

ford fgx

Old 03-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,278 Likes on 880 Posts

Yes, ford pinched the rear lights from the XF, that is something that only happened a couple of years ago. It is a little unfortunate that the XE (and the new XF) didnt carry on with those lights, which I suppose were pinched from Aston in the first place.

But back to the OP, I think drive the XE before you make a conclusion. It is truly an awesome car to drive. I've had 2 XFs, a 4.2 V8 and a 5.0 V8 and while they were gorgeous cars to drive the XE is a huge leap forward - it sits flat as a tack, the steering is brilliant, the seat position is perfect, and the ride is lovely. It is more like the XKR to drive than the XF, and the XKR is the best car I've driven.

The shape reminds me more of the older XJ than the XF - it is wide and flat and low. The boot could have used more thought, but aside from that, I've got no complaints.

But bear in mind I was already a jaguar fan, and had been waiting for a compact to buy for my wife.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
Fair2 (03-05-2016), stever_51 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

There are a lot of reviews that say the rear lights/ back end is not as good as the front.... im thinking there is going to be a refresh in a few years???

Old 03-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

When our Volvo lease expires, we'll consider the XE. I haven't seen any in Boston. Are they in the US yet?

Old 03-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It has not gone on sale in the US yet. (April or May?)

There are probably a few around near their HQ and they have some models brought up from Mexico for the Art of Performance Tour.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

The designer of the XE is Ian Callum, widely respected as one of the leading designers in the industry. The falcon pictures posted above look more like an Audi to me.

I put my reasons for choosing an XE and why I consider it a proper Jag in another thread. Maybe I should have posted them here, but I consider the XE to be perfectly in tune with what constitutes a 'proper Jag'.

The following 2 users liked this post by stever_51:
Fair2 (03-16-2016), Mac Allan (03-16-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

From what I can tell, if it doesn't look like an S Type or F Type, S Type owners don't think it looks like a real Jaguar. They think theirs is the last of the true Jaguars. I think it's the quad headlights.

Last edited by Overblown; 03-19-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: What brought you to an XE?