XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Question XE issues

Seen this on Youtube, does the XE, XF, F-PAce really have these many issues going on?

There are lots of short videos on this page:

I see 1 person's comment from the UK said he had these same issues since the car launched this time last year even.

What have you guys seen with your XE thus far? Anyone know when the big update is coming out for the ICTP? I am hoping for a quicker UI as I feel it is way to slow still.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I personally have driven my car for over 14K miles now.

No issues with the infotainment system at all. I have the base version. It works without problems.

I've had almost no issues so far. The dealership scratched my front spoiler last time my car was in and they are going to fix it.
I just noticed that the rubber seam for the trunk lid came off at the edge the other day. I will use some strong glue to stick it back on. Nothing major, my fault since I overloaded the trunk on my last trip to NYC.

I have heard lots of issues with larger screen infotainment though...

2018 MY cars might have that update and since they are already hitting the dealerships, it should be available for MY 17 cars too

The following users liked this post:
BigCat09 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:32 AM
KC-
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the incontrol touch pro and it happened to me twice that I had a black screen. I just turned off the car and turned it on again and it was normal. Very strange... Maybe it isn't syncing properly when being turned on?

Old 06-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Biggest design grip is that on the rear door, door jams let in a lot of dust around the weather stripping. I was that area every time I wash the car, but it shouldn't be letting in so much debris.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KC-
I have the incontrol touch pro and it happened to me twice that I had a black screen. I just turned off the car and turned it on again and it was normal. Very strange... Maybe it isn't syncing properly when being turned on?

I think it is due to it being Windows based and gets crashes for many types of errors it is seeing during power up or when it sees inputs from other aux, modules, in the car.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:50 AM
KC-
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
I think it is due to it being Windows based and gets crashes for many types of errors it is seeing during power up or when it sees inputs from other aux, modules, in the car.
Could be. I have only seen it when I got in the car and immediately turned it on before the screen could do it's little Jaguar logo when I unlock it.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Biggest design grip is that on the rear door, door jams let in a lot of dust around the weather stripping. I was that area every time I wash the car, but it shouldn't be letting in so much debris.
Mosesbotbol, I have noticed the same thing! I get a ton of dirt and water in all door jams, especially the back. I've never had a car that gets just as dirty in the jams as it does outside the car. And it's not like I really ever have back seat passengers making a mess back there, either. Engine bay tends to get dirty quickly as well. I wonder if this is normal, or if this is somehow related to the problem XE owners used to have with water accumulation inside the car? Is everyone else having this issue?

Old 07-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
Mosesbotbol, I have noticed the same thing! I get a ton of dirt and water in all door jams, especially the back. I've never had a car that gets just as dirty in the jams as it does outside the car. And it's not like I really ever have back seat passengers making a mess back there, either. Engine bay tends to get dirty quickly as well. I wonder if this is normal, or if this is somehow related to the problem XE owners used to have with water accumulation inside the car? Is everyone else having this issue?
The same issue here... driving in rain automatically equals cleaning rear door jams.

I think it is just the design. XE has this 2.5 inch or so platform (next to footwells) that leads all the dust and dirty rain water from the front wheels to the back and that is probably why we get so much of debris/dirt there.

The same is true for back, undearneath the trunk lid, it suffers from the same thing as rear door jams

Old 07-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

My body design issues are practically non existent:
My only “good greif, Charlie Brown” disappointment is that the darned thing is so aerodynamic that the dust and pollen on the back of the body and those leeboards and haunches around the rear doors is constantly filthy.
I know a car has to be washed regualrly, but …Wash, wash, wash, EVERY time after I drive for 30 minutes?!!

As for the Intouch systems… the other post here is correct: the 2018 and late 2017 delivery cars seem as “updated” as they can be for now.
The standard InTouch always seemed to be a highly refined software package (mine never glitches or goes blank, or reboots, etc)---while the Pro version always seemed to feel like a rushed-too-early version that Jaguar planned to complete with expansion packs later.

I have confidence they CAN perfect your Pro version systems for you, but it’s a matter of when and how frequently the darn updates will start being delivered to us. I hope I’m right, but maybe I’m all wrong about this.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 07-06-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

How can Jaguar design a car when it's 90 degrees out and you turn the seats on; it defaults to heated not cooled? Just idiotic.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

FWIW, my XE has the 10" screen anf the default seat heater position is "Off."

When I manually turn the seat heaters on, they go on "high," and I have to turn them down unless I want to burn my backside.

But their default position is "Off."

Old 07-06-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by booklaw1
FWIW, my XE has the 10" screen anf the default seat heater position is "Off."

When I manually turn the seat heaters on, they go on "high," and I have to turn them down unless I want to burn my backside.

But their default position is "Off."
I meant to say the default position turning the seats on is too heat, it should go to the setting most likely picked from the outside temperature.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

I personally see the ICTP reset a ton of times. Are lots of you seeing this happen here and there at least?

How are your auto high beams and AEB behaving , mine is pretty whacky at best?

Old 07-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I cannot attest to the rear door leaks and cleanliness of the door jams as my car is too new. Only time will tell.

I can tell you that the ICTP is still buggy on my 2018 XE S. Nothing horrible, but just annoying ATM as I cannot find a common cause. One thing I have noticed that when I remote start the car using the iPhone app it causes this phenomenon to happen more often than not. I start the car using the app, get into the vehicle and it immediately shuts down. Upon starting the vehicle using the push button start many times the main screen remains blank. The speedo and tach remain ok but the main screen is blank no matter if I select reverse or drive. Some times after a minute or two of driving everything comes back to life.

I'm going back back to the dealer to show the service manager the situation if I can reproduce the symptoms and hopefully he can report it back to the factory. Not a big deal but given the fact of the cash paid for this car they should fix these bugs.

One other item to note is that I play a ton of my music using the USB port and have a 16GB class 10 stick in the port. It plays the music fine, however when skipping through songs there is sometimes a skip in the intro of the song (strange). Also if I view the music on the screen, and it says 967 songs and I choose random the count of the actual song being played is always incremental. This means no matter what song comes next as I skip through songs, is always shows 94,95, 96,97, etc instead of the exact track (Again strange), but it work fine.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Question

That is nice to know, I can't reproduce the black screen on mine as I don't know what triggers it yet. Can you give some steps to make it happen so I can tell my dealer so they can help fix the issue? Mine happens at random I think but it happens a lot.

The dealers are telling people the XE is not compatible with the iPhone 7 and thus not having to fix it and blame Apple for the defect.

Originally Posted by Shagman25
I cannot attest to the rear door leaks and cleanliness of the door jams as my car is too new. Only time will tell.

I can tell you that the ICTP is still buggy on my 2018 XE S. Nothing horrible, but just annoying ATM as I cannot find a common cause. One thing I have noticed that when I remote start the car using the iPhone app it causes this phenomenon to happen more often than not. I start the car using the app, get into the vehicle and it immediately shuts down. Upon starting the vehicle using the push button start many times the main screen remains blank. The speedo and tach remain ok but the main screen is blank no matter if I select reverse or drive. Some times after a minute or two of driving everything comes back to life.

I'm going back to the dealer to show the service manager the situation if I can reproduce the symptoms and hopefully, he can report it back to the factory. Not a big deal but given the fact of the cash paid for this car they should fix these bugs.

One other item to note is that I play a ton of my music using the USB port and have a 16GB class 10 stick in the port. It plays the music fine, however, when skipping through songs there is sometimes a skip in the intro of the song (strange). Also if I view the music on the screen, and it says 967 songs and I choose randomly the count of the actual song being played is always incremental. This means no matter what song comes next as I skip through songs, is always shows 94,95, 96,97, etc instead of the exact track (Again strange), but it works fine.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shagman25

I can tell you that the ICTP is still buggy on my 2018 XE S. Nothing horrible, but just annoying ATM as I cannot find a common cause....
.... I start the car using the app, get into the vehicle and it immediately shuts down. Upon starting the vehicle using the push button start many times the main screen remains blank. The speedo and tach remain ok but the main screen is blank no matter if I select reverse or drive. Some times after a minute or two of driving everything comes back to life.
.... Not a big deal but...
I have to disagree with you, Shagman. I would consider those things a VERY big deal, and don’t be too casually annoyed by it happening. The one thing in common that I notice in your descriptions, is that MOST of the bugs seem to do with power management behind the dashboard.
Which components get power sent to them during remote-start---
Keeping power going to a component after recognizing the smart-key in the car, or a seatbelt fastened, etc.---
Interrupting power to the information screen (is it the ICT screen that’s blank, or the TFT above your steering wheel that’s blank?)---

“Power” not properly managed through the system,… would worry and scare the heck out of me.

Dealerships don’t always tell you when you bring it to the shop, but SOME dealerships will have the electronic diagnosis machine ready to hook up to your car (and that device tells them accurately what is wrong in the system),… and sometimes a dealership DOESN’T have that diagnosis machine available or operating on the day you bring it in to be checked (and without it,… the mechanic just won’t be able to find a power-system problem, and may hand the car back to you saying “car seems okay to us”.)

So keep poking the servicemen, and POKE Jaguar Regional office too.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:33 PM

NewLester

Point taken. I will be bringing it back to the dealer for a look to see what the issue may be. The TFT remains on when this issue happens and only the ICT screen is affected. I also noticed today that the paddle shifters only work in 'S'port mode, but in the other models they work also in 'D' which I confirmed with the manual.

I have a bit of traveling for business coming up so I wont be needing the car and hopefully the dealer can take a look and have some answers. TBC

Old 07-14-2017, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

The paddles in modes are in the settings in the wheel. You can set it to either if you wish.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:34 PM

Thanks BitCat!

I will have to check that out when I get back. There are just so many settings to go through at the moment. Still without the paddles this is beast of a machine. I'm going to have to be careful with this baby, just touching the throttle on the highway in Dynamic this car is a rocket. Strangely enough you do not feel the speed as the power delivery is seamless. Great programming of the ZF gearbox.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Be serious about your initiation period with the XE. No Joke! It's not some family car with a powerful engine (like the XF). The XE is a sports car that leaps forward whenever it thinks you're giving it permission.
Several owners on the other forums reported that they lost the road and ended up in hedges or nearly hitting a handful of other scared drivers.

Especially during the first 3000 miles, the car is shocking as Jekyl-n-Hyde. Most owners report that, later on it mellows just enough not to scare the driver anymore.
I seriously recommend you learn to master the car in Normal Mode for the first few months, especially accelerated merging and those hairpin off-ramp turns. Dynamic Mode will always be waiting for you to get into later.

Just the fact that Jaguar has set the car to AUTOMATICALLY exit Dynamic Mode after 6 hours, means some serious alterations occur in the drive-system that jaguar likes to keep as "short-term" alterations.