XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE S Lands in NA

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XE S Lands in NA

Dealerships in Canada now have the XE S in..anyone test drove one yet?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nicholaschn

I ordered my XE S a few months ago and will take delivery in the next week. I will post photos and such accordingly. What sold me is the tuned 380HP engine and the TFT digital dash. I expect it to be similar to that of a 35T R Sport with the added HP.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I havent driven the 380HP XE but I've driven the 340HP one on the track (have the 25T) and have the 380HP engine in my F Type. The extra 40HP makes a huge amount of difference IMO, mainly over 90kph or so.

The 340HP version handles beautifully and predictably, I would fully expect the 380HP to be quite a bit more of a handful under heavy acceleration and to develop more oversteer if you hit a bend enthusiastically. My F Type with the 380HP engine is in the real world quicker than my 480HP XKR was, though that is more a matter of traction.

You might not notice the difference so much when it is brand new, I've found my F Type more likely to break traction after 12 months or so but whether that is tyres or the engine loosening up a bit I dont really know.

I think that the XE S is going to be a monumentally good car, enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
Fair2 (06-27-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure the S will feel quicker than the 340 HP XE, but I don't think there is anything different going on with suspension, etc.

My 35T R-Sport now has the Velocity AP tune and feels MILES quicker than stock. Granted that has bumped it up well over 400 HP, so maybe I should rebadge it an S+ ? :-P

Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

They need to get the V8 in the XE with a manual...

Old 06-26-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, when I mentioned the handling it was more that the back end will (I think) tend to be lost more with the extra grunt, which is what I've found with the difference between engines. 99Problems, do you find that with yours?

And agreed on the V8...

Old 06-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally agree on V8 and Manual, but Jaguar has yet to do that for the F-Type, restricting the manuals to the V6 flavor. Still, a proper manual transmission even with the SC V6 would probably pull some thunder from BMW who do still offer a Manual in the XE's competitor. BruceTheQuail, I can't say as I've pushed my XE hard enough in a turn since the tune to see if I break traction, but the extra HP certainly is enough to pin you back in your seat more, and effectively make the front of the car feel lighter when just pinning the throttle in a straight line.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagman25
Nicholaschn

I ordered my XE S a few months ago and will take delivery in the next week. I will post photos and such accordingly. What sold me is the tuned 380HP engine and the TFT digital dash. I expect it to be similar to that of a 35T R Sport with the added HP.
I am about to order one myself. However, I am curious whether the 2018 XE S comes with Aluminum Gear Shift Paddles standard, or whether I'll have to shell out the $570 to add them.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:55 PM

It is my understanding that the US market XE S comes with the Aluminum paddle shifters as well as the foot pedals. My XE S was delayed due to some gov regulations with respect to decals on the gas caps, so it was delayed in port for an extra week. The dealer promised I would be in the car by the end of June, but that did not happen.

They were nice enough to give me an XE 35t in the meantime until my vehicle arrives. I am hopeful I will get this car on 7/3 or 7/5 at the latest. I have to say that just having this loner car for the past few days, the real money is in the suspension. Cant want to actually drive a vehicle with the tuned engine and adaptive suspension. Simply amazing car to drive especially around the corners.

The only thing I found annoying is the auto engine stop/start function that resets every time the vehicle is turned off. I will have to look through the forums to see if this can be toggled to be default 'Off'.

Last edited by Shagman25; 07-02-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

I think I saw a threat in the F Pace forum about that. I find it annoying too. In my F Type my startup routine is car on, stop/start off, noisy exhaust on. The default should be stop/start off unless you switch it on, and noisy exhaust on unless you switch it off...

Old 07-09-2017, 04:51 PM

Well it finally happened on 7/5 with the delivery of my new 2018 XE S which is currently one of only a few here in the states. I can say after just a few days of driving I can clearly notice a difference between the 35t and the X. The looks are nothing short of dramatic and it seems a bit lower to the ground versus the other models. The sport seats, black package, Brembo brakes, and the S badge makes it pop. I can't tell you the amount of times people have slowed their vehicles next to me to take a peek.

The only drawbacks thus far have been that annoying start/stop feature and the InControl apps seem very buggy. Only time will tell.

I still have to find a good solution for the front plate. I am on the fence between the ShoNGo (Big Mike) and the Altec Show N Go. Any feedback by actual users of these products would be appreciated.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm diggin' your S....

I have the stow n' show tag bracket on my R Sport and have no complaints. Remove and replace two T-20 screws at the bottom of the front fascia for install.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 PM

I contacted Big Mike and they cannot confirm the compatibility to my 2018 XE S. This weekend I plan on doing some measurements and probably will order the kit for the 2017 R Sport as it does not appear to be any different.

Thus far the cops have not given me any trouble. They just pull along side to see what this car really is. This is really a truly an amazing machine! You just get a special feeling whenever you get behind the wheel. More stares than glares.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Screw the front plate... Unless citations (if you even get one) raise you insurance; take the occasional fine.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

For those who are/have traded in thier XE for another XE like the S or R-SPort etc, how are you all getting on trade value for your current XE's?

I have checked a few Jaguar dealers and my sticker was $65k when I bought it 6 months ago and they will only give me $45k for it as atrade with only 5k miles on it and it is mint in every way!

How do tyou go about trading in any of these XE's for a new Jagaur, seems like they take a massive hit and the dealers wont work with you on trades.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 AM
KC-
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
For those who are/have traded in thier XE for another XE like the S or R-SPort etc, how are you all getting on trade value for your current XE's?

I have checked a few Jaguar dealers and my sticker was $65k when I bought it 6 months ago and they will only give me $45k for it as atrade with only 5k miles on it and it is mint in every way!

How do tyou go about trading in any of these XE's for a new Jagaur, seems like they take a massive hit and the dealers wont work with you on trades.
Considering they aren't selling extremely well, Jaguars are also known for huge depreciation hits, and also they sell brand new for well less than MSRP. I got mine for 10% off. So just factor all that in and yes, huge price drop. Essentially that's quite similar with most new luxury vehicles. Maybe Ferrari's and high end Porsches are exempt.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
They need to get the V8 in the XE with a manual...
They had to lengthen the nose of the Project 8 car some 15 CM to shoehorn that V-8 into the XE chassis, it was not as simple as just unplugging two more cylinders.

Totally agree manual would be excellent, although performance would be slower than the good modern automatics (think tiptronic). DC systems are catching up fast too!

Last edited by Austin7; 07-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Austin7
They had to lengthen the nose of the Project 8 car some 15 CM to shoehorn that V-8 into the XE chassis, it was not as simple as just unplugging two more cylinders.

Totally agree manual would be excellent, although performance would be slower than the good modern automatics (think tiptronic). DC systems are catching up fast too!
A manual is not about better performance; that is not the point of choosing that over an automatic.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XE S

I am new here...and am thinking of putting my order in this week for the XE S fully loaded. I wish they brought back some of the original colors like the Bluefire and others they had for 2016. And I am not sure if the XE S also has the interior illuminated lighting like it does for the overseas markets.

I saw Shagman go the..pretty cool! Hope there are no issues with the electronics!

Old 07-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Interior lighting on my XE (or lack of) is pretty lame. Our Volvo and Lotus were much better. I find it odd as it's easy to see Jaguar did a lot of computer aided design on the inside. The curves are pretty innovative inside IMO.