XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2009 xf water pump replaced still overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 xf water pump replaced still overheating

I got the water pump completely replaced just last week on the 21st of June and didn't get the car back until Friday the 23rd. Drove completely fine then all of a sudden over the weekend it started showing the "coolant low" warning intermittently when traveling at 47 mph and above. This warning would completely disappear when idle, like stopped at the stoplight, or when going below 47 mph.

Today, June 28th, the same warning light came on followed by a "performance restricted" warning and then completely died.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Hi Monique
You're in the wrong forum for your car which is the previous model made up to 2015.
As well, you need to give more details of the car, mileage, and why you had the water pump replaced. Who told you this needed doing ? Coolant leaks can occur in a variety of places so it's important that the right checks are made to locate where the leak is. My advice is not to use the car until you've located the leak. Top up the header tank with coolant at the correct anti-freeze percentage when you know. Some leaks you can drive with because you know they won't get bigger, so can wait a few days until you get it to a shop, but some are such that if something lets go, you quickly have no coolant left and the engine can be wrecked before you realise it. When I had a leak on my last car, an X350 (XJ saloon 2003), when I got it to the shop, the mechanic told me I had to leave the car with them as they didn't have the part in stock. So I said "hey, I have to get home, you know". He then said the part that was leaking could let go at any time, so I went home on the train and bus. The part did let go when he was removing it !!