XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2018 XF Portfolio RWD vs AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmfan
I’m curious to know what is actually leather on the portfolio model.

I understand it has the premium Windsor leather, but does it have leather door panels and dash? The web site and brochure are not clear. If Jaguar would have offered an extended leather package for at least the R sport and S models, they would be much better, and it probably would have reduced the number of complaints about the interior quality for those people who care. Don't get me wrong, my XF is a great place to be when driving, but I would have paid extra for better leather seats, dash and door panels. It is nice Jaguar now offers the portfolio model, but it seems to be in very limited availability, especially on the west coast. I am guessing this is why you are buying from the east coast.
Those are good questions and I don't know for sure - I'll take pictures - and yes, limited availability on the west coast - I found these with a google search - in hindsight I probably should have used the jaguarusa inventory search but that gives you a max 250 mile radius for any zip code - even then there don't appear to be any AWD portfolios in California....

Old 07-25-2018, 04:27 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IHG90
Those are good questions and I don't know for sure - I'll take pictures - and yes, limited availability on the west coast - I found these with a google search - in hindsight I probably should have used the jaguarusa inventory search but that gives you a max 250 mile radius for any zip code - even then there don't appear to be any AWD portfolios in California....
Yes, using the Jaguar site for inventory search is a good way of finding what’s available, that’s how I found my car. I did a quick search and there do not appear to be any portfolios in California. Perhaps all the limited allocations were sold before release and dealers don’t have any for the lot

Old 08-04-2018, 05:46 PM

Car arrived safely - picked up in MD friday, delivered in CA friday. These aren't great pictures, but they'll give you a sense of the 2018 XF portfolio interior - very comfortable, and infinitely adjustable...

Old 08-06-2018, 11:05 AM

Looks great, congratulations! Thanks for posting the photos.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jmfan
You made a wise decision, congratulations!

I had a brief buyer’s remorse after taking delivery of XF because I had my heart set on the XJ. I could have purchased a beautiful one for the same price as my XF. The XJ was ruled out strictly due to its larger size, mainly the length. Not a problem for me, but I needed something my wife could drive occasionally, and she felt uncomfortable with it. I did feel the XJ’s interior was more luxurious. After driving my XF, I quickly realized that I made the right decision for me. I would have been happy with either one, but I do like the XF.
I'm in the same boat. I have an XJ, 2006 with 140,000 miles on it and little things are starting to bother me. The air suspension fault is almost always on now, the windshield wiper belt is too loose and the wipers go beyond the windshield and it the pillar and the transmission seems to be getting a little loose so I've been thinking about trading it. As much as anything else, I've been driving this for 12 years and could use a change. I've had my heart on another XJ, really wanted to get a used 2016 or newer, but with the kids out of the house now, do I really need to drag all that extra length and weight around when I put people in the back seat only once every 3 or 4 months? I've been looking at an XF, saw the 20/30 MPG and thought that good mileage and good power make a good combination. I went to the dealership yesterday and there was an XF and XJ parked inside next to each other and sat in the front seat of each, then sat in the passenger side of each and then the back seats. The XJ is much more luxurious, the leather, the layout and the wood are unparalleled, but what's the value of it if I rarely drive anyone around any more. Light and quick might be better, I'm going to go test drive a dark grey XF with a black interior today.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by FRGIII2014
I'm in the same boat. I have an XJ, 2006 with 140,000 miles on it and little things are starting to bother me. The air suspension fault is almost always on now, the windshield wiper belt is too loose and the wipers go beyond the windshield and it the pillar and the transmission seems to be getting a little loose so I've been thinking about trading it. As much as anything else, I've been driving this for 12 years and could use a change. I've had my heart on another XJ, really wanted to get a used 2016 or newer, but with the kids out of the house now, do I really need to drag all that extra length and weight around when I put people in the back seat only once every 3 or 4 months? I've been looking at an XF, saw the 20/30 MPG and thought that good mileage and good power make a good combination. I went to the dealership yesterday and there was an XF and XJ parked inside next to each other and sat in the front seat of each, then sat in the passenger side of each and then the back seats. The XJ is much more luxurious, the leather, the layout and the wood are unparalleled, but what's the value of it if I rarely drive anyone around any more. Light and quick might be better, I'm going to go test drive a dark grey XF with a black interior today.
Gas mileage wasn’t really a consideration when deciding on the XF, but I will say I am impressed. I just drove 440 miles from N. California to SoCal, with 4 adults and a loaded trunk with 380hp V-6 and achieved 30.7 mpg.

During my last visit to the dealer for annual maintenance, I had a few hours to kill and looked hard at the XJ’s on the lot. It is still very nice but does feel dated to me now after driving the XF. I am very pleased with the daily driving characteristics of my XF S. I may look at the next generation XJ, but if it is only offered as full electric, I am not interested and will look at other options.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:51 PM

The XJ was beautiful but just too long for us. My wife is enjoying driving the '18 XF Portfolio - I haven't driven it, but she loves the handling, etc. But the incontrol system is giving her problems. Music stops playing through her iPhone 6s on the XF through bluetooth - I'll try a direct connection to see if it's the bluetooth or her phone (although she did reboot and it worked perfectly in her '13 MB E350). And sometimes static on the FM station ...
I'm hopeful we'll figure out these relatively minor annoyances - otherwise, she loves it!

Old 09-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Advantages of AWD: Safer handling in adverse conditions. Sometimes improves 0 to 60 times (better grip).
Disadvantages of AWD: Increased complexity of mechanical design. Increases weight of vehicle. Slight increased in fuel consumption. Usually more expensive (apparently not in your case).

This may look like AWD is not the right answer, but the key is the first advantage of AWD cars. Your area has hills/mountains near to it and you get rain. An AWD vehicle will handle it better. My view is that if it costs no more to buy, I would go with AWD. Most AWD systems for sporting luxury cars have a real wheel drive bias until the car detects conditions that will require the front wheels to be driven and the Jaguar is such a system. This way you get some of the sometimes perceived handling feel benefits of a RWD car when conditions are good and the AWD benefits when the conditions are not so good (e.g. rain causing slick road surfaces). However those handling benefits perceived for RWD cars are not always real in normal real world driving. Again just my personal opinion.

Hope this helps.
I agree totally. I would get the AWD. I have one and it is good in the rain as well as the winter weather which isn't a factor in SOCAL

Old 09-02-2018, 09:15 PM

Thanks - we ended up getting the AWD - no rain yet, but now we're ready for it :-)

Old 09-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Car arrived safely - picked up in MD friday, delivered in CA friday. These aren't great pictures, but they'll give you a sense of the 2018 XF portfolio interior - very comfortable, and infinitely adjustable...

Great interior colours. Congratulations. If you drive into the mountains or North of your place the AWD will be amazing. Love ours.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Thanks! Figuring out little things, and liking it more all the time - my wife already loves it, coming from a MB E350 sedan...

Old 03-09-2020, 06:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go for the AWD indeed. I just bought my xe r sport awd and I can feel a lot the difference instead of the rwd. Anyway the car will use most of the time the rear wheels and just when the car needs it will use the front one.
I've also a suv which is 2x4 and yeah, when it's raining....i prefer the jaguar indeed for the awd. Yesterday was raining so much and i was so happy to have the all 4 wheels.
It can save your life!

Old 03-09-2020, 08:56 AM

Thanks Samuele - I know it's an old thread that you resurrected, but we're very happy with this car a couple of years in...

Old 03-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Samuele - I know it's an old thread that you resurrected, but we're very happy with this car a couple of years in...
eheh sorry I didnt realize was so old! Glad that u are enjoying it

The following users liked this post:
IHG90 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awd all the way!

I live in Pittsburgh, PA and have a 2014 XF 3.0 awd. My wife insisted, and a good thing since I wouldn’t get up our driveway when it snows with rwd. I’ve learned quite a bit from this thread. Thanks to all who posted.