XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Poor Quality - Poor Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Quality - Poor Service

The story of a frustrated Jaguar XF owner (ME!)

As a point of reference, the story below has been seen as "non-excessive for the age of the vehicle and not a safety concern".

This is a terrible service from all businesses involved and a complete disregard for the safety of their "customer" (Finance Company (LEX Autolease), Jaguar UK and Stratstone Stockton).

In April 2016 I was the proud owner of a brand new Jaguar XF.
The car was going great. A joy to drive.
Then 6 months in and their was the first problem. The drivers side door was stuck. It was repaired under warranty (after being told labour would be £80/half hour if it was wear and tear and £10/day for a courtesy car). The mileage at this point was around 2,000 and the £10/day was eventually waived.
Everything went well from that point for a few thousand miles.
Then the recalls started! Five recalls in one go were performed on the car, including a new boot seal. After investigating this recall it was found that it was damaging the rear bumper as it was closing too far.
I raised my concerns that my bumper was damaged due to this issue. Nothing was done.
After the recalls the boot was extremely difficult to shut, requiring so much force to slam it closed. I raised my concerns over this too as it didn't feel right. I was told "that's just how it is". As a reminder, this is a "premium brand", Jaguar.
Fast forward to 9th June and still no sign of a bumper repair. But there is a new issue!

The drivers side rear door has filled with water and is swishing round like a fish tank. This was taken to the dealer and they drained the door (no idea of any internal damage relating to this).

The car went in for recalls on 28th June for 3 days. I was driving an XE loan car while mine was in the garage. I noticed it was the same engine as my car, and it was much smoother and quieter. I highlighted this to Stratstone and was told "yeah, some are noisy some are quiet". Seems like a lack of quality control to me.

When I got the car back after the recalls, another fault became apparent. The bluetooth system in the vehicle was not working correctly. Calls would drop out after 15 seconds. Music would stop playing and phone would disconnect.

Again I had to book the car in for repair. The car came back and the issue was still present a few days later.

When driving in North Yorkshire my TPMS (Type Pressure Monitoring System) alerted me to a type pressure issue. The tyre was checked and pressures were within range.
The next day all tyres reported a problem. Check again and all within range.
Took the car to the dealership where they cleared the messages and that was it.

I reported excessive engine noise to the dealership and the car was booked in for 2 days on 14th August.

On the 10th August the car developed a new fault. While sat in stationary traffic the handbrake was applied. When trying to move of the handbrake would not disengage. I was sat in rush hour traffic for 10 minutes with hazards flashing in a 16 plate Jaguar!.
After 10 minutes I was able to dis-engage the handbrake and drive home. Jaguar Assistance were called out to inspect the vehicle and found fault code: C2007

It was taken to the dealership the next day where they had the car for 5 days. After those 5 days I was told the engine sounded fine (it was a noisy version) and they have cleared the fault codes and can't find the problem. I was told to "wait for it to happen again".

So I drove the car away. At this point the car has got a damaged rear bumper, faulty handbrake, intermittent bluetooth connection and the dealership report the car is all resolved.

26th August the unthinkable happened. While driving along a 30mph road the electronic handbrake engaged itself. The back end of the car locked up.
I only realised it was the handbrake when the parking brake light illuminated on the dash.
Jaguar Assistance attended the vehicle and saw no faults.
The Dealership had it for one week and said there were no problems and the car can be picked up after no work was carried out.
Reluctant to drive a car with that safety related issue didn't sit well with me.

The car is still sat at the dealership.

The Finance Company (LEX Autolease), Jaguar UK and Stratstone Stockton all report the car to be free from faults and safe to drive.
I am now forced to pay £4,800 to return the vehicle that I no longer feel safe driving.

This is a terrible service from all businesses involved and a complete disregard for the safety of their "customer".

-
Martin Dixon
Jaguar XF 2016 R-sport Auto

Old 09-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Before posting this up on the forum, did you look lower down the forums list ?
There is one called "Brand Review" and in there a forum for raising customer issues with the Customer Relationship Centre. Maybe send a PM to them as your tale of woe needs sorting out quickly. I see you mentioned getting a fault code for the handbrake problem, and that the dealer had cleared the codes. Unfortunately this doesn't cure the problem that cause the system to raise and record a fault !! It does seem from what you say somebody in this dealer is not very up-to-speed on customer relations and sorting out problems.

I would also say that there are many thousands of these cars running around, and we get very few posts like yours on this forum.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Seems like you have a bad dealer, escalate with JLR and have them address this situation.

Some suggestions in your future dealing with dealers:

1. Prioritize issues list and have them work on one issues at the time. Leave vibration and noise issues, unless very severe, to the very last. If you have multiple issues, one easy to fix and one hard to fix - they will go after easy to fix and may ignore hard to fix one.

2. Always generate and retain paperwork. You need to have a work order with complaint and action taken to address, otherwise it is too easy for dealership to claim "we didn't know, he never told us".

3. If service is uncooperative, bring in sales team. Your salesperson should advocate for you.

Best of luck.