XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Why buy an XF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy an XF?

Title says it all. I had previously settled that I want an XE 35t, but have recently moved from the suburbs into the city and in my new circumstance I will rarely have the opportunity to enjoy its performance so I've come down to a bmw i3 or an XF 20d on my short list due to their efficiencies. Very different vehicles, I know. Now I work for Mercedes myself and note how many super cool things our cars can do. Virtually all of our cars have collision prevention systems standard (land rover/jaguar charges hefty premiums for such a 'luxury'), blind spot monitors (the 20d premium I'm looking at lacks the also pricey vision assist package that would give me these), among a myriad of other little unnecessary but cool things that I personally appreciate, like in-dash web browsers free (for 5 years), 64-way adjustable ambient lighting colors in it's direct MB competitor that absolutely envelop the cabin, and I could certainly go on.
Alas the E-class even at an insane deal would be pressing my budget and an XF20d can be had cheap as well as is vastly superior in fuel economy. My question is, does Jaguar have any really cool quirks or bonuses that might be appealing? Or is it nothing more then a unique exterior design, fairly plain interior, with all the basic, expected luxury car features and nothing more? What is there about an XF 20d to get excited about?

Old 11-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I own a 2013 S-550 Designo and I have a 2017 E-300 for a loaner and was not impressed at all. The previous gen W212 was build much better. The matte wood felt like plastic in my opinion, and the shiny cheap plastic around the infotainment screen and gauge cluster looked aweful. There was a odd rattle coming from the front passenger footwell, and I have heard many complaints about the E. Yes, Jaguar does not offer Smooth-grain leather in the XF like in the past model, but overall the new car is a much better car overall. . I The incontrol touch pro is a lot easier to use than COMAND and is so fast. The XF is just a looker in person, it is insane how gorgeous the car is. Nothing beats in in its class. I reccoment Prestige and above just for pure looks and equipment. R-Sport looks amazing. The XF can be optioned with a Suedecloth headliner without a Designo package, like in the E. The four zone climate control is a nice option along with the manual rear window sunshades. I distinctive feature I like is the LED J-Blade DRL’s. My God do those look imposing. The trunk space is more accessible and seems larger than in the E. Hope I helped. I am new around here

Last edited by Stephen.513; 11-08-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:59 PM

Thank you for the input, much appreciated for sure. I'm sure Jaguar's infotainment is much easier but I am a product concierge at Mercedes so mastery of the infotainment is already at hand. The XF is certainly a much more attractive car on the exterior, I can give it that. But right now it just seems like a purely economical choice with no real frills. I'm surprised you did not care for the redesign e300's interior, its been hugely popular.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in Newton, and recommend you stick with your Benz.

That being said, I love my XF, the look, style, comfort, and driving dynamics are incredible. The all wheel drive is fantastic. One of the best parts is that it is not an E Class or an A6, it's quite unique and not a dime a dozen.

The Benz is a great car, too each there own...but please stick with your Benz and if you must get an XF then PM me and I'll hook you up with a fantastic salesman that might even work for the same dealer network your affiliated with.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ProspectivePurchaser
Thank you for the input, much appreciated for sure. I'm sure Jaguar's infotainment is much easier but I am a product concierge at Mercedes so mastery of the infotainment is already at hand. The XF is certainly a much more attractive car on the exterior, I can give it that. But right now it just seems like a purely economical choice with no real frills. I'm surprised you did not care for the redesign e300's interior, its been hugely popular.
I like the design. Not so much the materials.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

This is a good question and a tough one to answer because many discussions on these forums are amongst people not comparing apples to apples, i.e. options, package levels, etc. You may, however, hold the distinct honor of being the only person who crossed shopped an i3 with an XF. That may be like comparing apples to donuts.

I cannot comment specifically on the XF 20d premium because I have a gas V6 S and have not driven the diesel. I imagine the diesel is very good. In general, I can say I am extremely impressed with the XF overall and highly recommend it.

The main reason I got my XF was because I did not want another run-of-the mill German sedan and really liked the XF. Granted, I do also have a 2017 E300, which is an excellent car, and I have owned numerous BMWs. I already have an F-Type, which I love, and decided to get another sedan in the Jaguar family. Jaguar made me a nice offer and I got a great deal, making the decision even easier. I like the looks, the technology is very good with the technology pkg (people complain about it, I think it is good), performance excellent, ride quality and handling great, fit and finish very good, material quality very good (could be improved in a few areas) and so far, trouble-free. The 5 yr./60,000-mile warranty and included maintenance eases any fears from the old Jaguar past. Having a car that I enjoy driving is important to me. I personally like that each Jaguar model looks unique, where I think the Germans, especially, have gone wrong.

I took my XF on a spirited, twisty road drive recently and was blown away at how well it handled almost effortlessly. Excellent power and total control of the road. The car feels lighter and smaller than it actually is which is a plus. Every time I take passengers in the XF, I get positive comments about the smooth and pleasant ride.

Kudos for trying to find a car within your budget. If you do your homework, decide on the XF and find one you like, push the dealer hard. I think you will be able to get the XF for a larger discount off MSRP than you think. People are buying mostly SUVs, trucks and minivans these days. The sedans, at least in my area, sit on the lot and the dealers are eager to move them. If you don't need a large sedan, you may want to reconsider the XE with some added luxury and technology options in your budget.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Thank you for the response. The jaguar certainly isn't run of the mill, that's definitely one of it's appealing aspects, and because it's such a good value deal right now is likely the only reason I'm considering it. My heart is really for an XE 35t as the v6 is being discontinued in 2018 but I would never be able to make the kitty purr in an overly congested urban commute

Old 11-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My heart is really for an XE 35t as the v6 is being discontinued in 2018 but I would never be able to make the kitty purr in an overly congested urban commute[/QUOTE]

As someone with a 35t that lives and travels throughout Boston I would disagree...you'll have plenty of opportunities to make her purr. 128, Storrow drive, and the Jamaica Way can be quite fun during off commuter hours.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:46 PM

They have a 17 XE 35t prestige that's not quite the colors I want at all, but figured I'd run numbers on that too. If it's at all reasonable I'm still up for considering that.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ProspectivePurchaser
Thank you for the response. The jaguar certainly isn't run of the mill, that's definitely one of it's appealing aspects, and because it's such a good value deal right now is likely the only reason I'm considering it. My heart is really for an XE 35t as the v6 is being discontinued in 2018 but I would never be able to make the kitty purr in an overly congested urban commute

I drove a loaded 2018 Jag XE AWD and it was great with v6. But and I say but, it is NOT nearly as quiet inside as the XF. No comparison. If you want a quiet cabin and a slightly more beefy steering and ride but agile etc, get the XF AWD with V6. I love mine and I have owned several MBs and BMWs,]
AL

Old 11-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The Jaguar has that invisible feature of being built of aluminium, although unlike my all-aluminium X358 Sovereign, it does have steel doors. Personally, I think aluminium is the right stuff to make cars from, but that's just me !

I am not sure if I would compare the XF across to an E-class, they don't seem directly comparable, a bit like chalk and cheese, really. Daimler-Benz make fine cars so you have a hard choice to make.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Daimler-Benz make fine cars so...

Ya, but according to numerous posts here and about, not as fine as they used to be. :-(

================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 11-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The Jaguar has that invisible feature of being built of aluminium, although unlike my all-aluminium X358 Sovereign, it does have steel doors. Personally, I think aluminium is the right stuff to make cars from, but that's just me !

I am not sure if I would compare the XF to an E-class, they don't seem directly comparable, a bit like chalk and cheese, really. Daimler-Benz make fine cars so you have a hard choice to make.

Hmm. Well, before buying my 2016 XF AWD which has the works including wood inserts etc, I drove and BMW5 series(since I had one to trade in), the Audi6 and the MB E300 and E350. The MBs look a little more glitzy up front with the shiny wood. The Audi6 was well appointed too. Then I drove them!! The Audi was great, handling and power but design is dated. The BMW was familiar to me but handling sluggishly on turn in and turbos were not as fast to kick in as Supercharger in Jag. I did not like the 350 4 cylinder which was a real dog. I would have had to pay a lot more for the V6 version. Handling was sedate and not sporty. The Jag was impressive from dead stop, with the supercharger on stream immediately. No bump steer, no understeer and no lag. V6 has a couple of coarse spots at around 35mph and around 50 but has great torque and, with the awd, it bit down on the road, especially when my son really thrashed it--the saleman looked ill. I smiled. The Jag interior looks durable and sort of Teutonic but the comfort level, ergonomics and quiet, adaptable drive system is really first class. With the modern electronics system which replaced Lucas, I expect a reliable product. I owned 2 MBs and I find that the only ones I really consider high quality material wise would be the S class. The e 350 though, is overall excellent. BTW I also drove and examined the Volvo S90 which has perhaps the best quality interior but the weak 4 cylinder hasn't the beans to move the heavy vehicle around. Just my opinions so be nice to me.
PS I get a lot of stares and even people coming over to see the car. Interesting as it is a sedate Ammonite grey metallic. My 5 series was a lovely blue but few came by to see it.
AL

Last edited by BCJAG; 11-14-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Although a lot has already been said I thought I would add my comments to the fray, so to be speak.

As I have mentioned in another thread, I am a long time BMW owner, but have had a brief foray into MB in the form of a 2003 E500 and an XF Jaguar in 2010. Both cars were an interesting experiment but with significant issues. My MB E500 had serious build issues and reliability problems (radio would die, requiring the fuse to be removed to reset, front steering rack failed, driver seat needed replacing, air suspension failed and needed upgrading, new braking system need recalibrating several times). The Jag was a nice car but build quality was poor (rear parcel shelf warping, rear lights needed replacing due to failed LEDs, bubbling leather dashboard, glove box needed replacement).

My BMWs have generally been reliable and trouble free. I have had 13 of them (I still have a 2015 428i GC), 7 of them 5 series with the last one being a 2012 F10 which was the worst 5 series I have ever owned. Tire wear and unstable handling were the main culprits. The 4 cylinder N20 engine moved the car better than expected but sounded like a sewing machine. However the biggest problem is that the car had lost that magic BMW feel. When I drove the new 5 series (G30, 530 and 540) I was horrified how like a wallowing executive car it felt. The taut feel had gone. If you equip it with the right options, MSport, dynamic handling package etc. you can get near to the older car's feel but it was still focused on the 'Lexus' side of the market. Nicely made (I would say beautifully made, actually) but ultimately boring. It even looks generic. As has been noted elsewhere, no-one comes over and says how beautiful your 5 series is. It is a generic looking car with little or no panache.

Looking at the new MB series, I have to say that I really do not like the look of them (I know that this is highly personal and contentious opinion), especially from the rear. They look as if the mold melted. Inside they are now way too gaudy for me. I like minimalist interiors and all that glitter drives me mad (the audio system speakers with their silver grills, particularly offends). Driving them, you could tell they were orientated towards luxury rather than sport. Comfortable but exciting, no.

Audi. They all look the same (A2, A3, A4, A6, A8). Each model was derived from the cheaper one by attaching it to an air pump and pumping them up to the new size. Interiors are well executed but aging. Handling still reveals their front wheel drive origins with the tendency to plough understeer which I hate.

Which brought me back to Jag. Good looking, taut, great handling, excellent minimalist interiors and a certain panache that none of the German competitors bring. Once I sat in the latest ones, I was convinced. Materials, fit and finish etc. seemed very good. And that engine. Nice fat torque curve with plenty of power where you need it. The sound needs some work (sounds odd to me), but in general this is an amazing car. It is only 150 lbs heavier than my BMW 428i GC which is surprising. That aluminium structure pays big dividends. Now I am concerned, having bought an ex demo that I may have some problems. "Rodents" that eat engine knock sensor harnesses and now the AEB warning light has come on. I will persevere, but I hope my new cat does not make me eat my words.

So unless you are worried by buying a car that is a little different, the Jag is the one to buy. At least if I was making the decision (and I recently did :-) )

Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

i3 if you will be doing most of your driving in the city and prefer functionality over looks. The i3 is fugly but very practical in a city environment.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my 3rd Jaguar and my second XF and I love my car! I was put off by some of the plastic, like in the lower door storage areas, but I was at the dealership two days ago and noticed they are the same material in the F-Type S edition, which is a way more expensive car. I think most of those decisions were based on weight. The trunk lid feels much lighter than on my 2011XF. A pound or two here and there really adds up and I think that's where they were going with those design decisions. I love the way it looks and I love the way it drives. It feels like the best pair of sneakers you have ever put on.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by uab9253
... I was put off by some of the plastic, like in the lower door storage areas....
Just about all manufacturers are doing this now. My last two Mercedes both had plastic in the lower door panels. I don't know why plastic gets such a bad rap anyplace in the car. It's lighter, easier to clean, more sturdy, lasts longer, less expensive, than fiber materials and if the truth were to be known most of the trim "metal" in cars today is chrome plated plastic for all those reasons.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>PS I get a lot of stares and even people coming over to see the car

Yes, whenever a Jaguar arrives, people notice...

================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 07-09-2020, 03:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Grace Pace and Space.

Last edited by JaguarJack12; 07-09-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking the same as you. Great commuter. I have a 2017 XF Premium 2.0d in BRGreen. 47mpg is routine. The surprise I had after purchase was the attention the car got and gets. I've owned many sport/luxury cars over the years, the XF is only one which brings "Look, it's a Jaguar" type comments. Diesel sound is quieter than other diesels I've owned. The low end growl (like a big cat) when coming off ramps and accelerating is nice. Stop and go driving has sometimes been annoying. Pedal is touchy for smooth starts. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Why buy an XF?