XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 XF smart key problem..help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dare
Really sorry to hear about the problems you've encountered. Unfortunately what lotusespritse said in terms of the repair bills is very accurate. I had my first year with no issues, but after that what's been done so far:
Rear view camera ($500 new, but I managed to fix the old one), rear tail light ($300), new windscreen to fix a leak ($800), new egr valves ($400, and I replaced them myself, took two days and saved almost a grand in service), fixing a leaking diff ($300), rear bushings ($400), fixing a leak in the boot ($200).
The car is now ab. 10 years old and this is the way it goes. It's just something that's good to keep in mind, albeit a really sh**ty situation. I still love the car, though, but it's expensive to keep on the road.
Edit: and all the "easy" stuff like brakes I also fix myself. Saved probably almost another grand there last fall.
thanks for feedback. As ive previously stated, i am a diy guy for rhe most part and that is why i think most of us utilize this and other forums. I am not unfamiliar with jaguars, this being our 5th jag. I just have to say that we love the aesthetics of this xf, but this particular event has been the most frustrating and costly of any repairs ive ever done on a jag, going back to the late 80's when jag reputation was really terrible.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Again sorry for the massive failure and I don't have any help as I have been on Jaguar forums for over 10 years now and have never heard of your problem EVER!

But just a comment on the transmission?
The sealing sleeve is well known and almost 100% guaranteed to happen. It's not expensive as you found out BUT the kicker is you can't change it without dropping the pan. So this is a great time to service the transmission.

Not sure if it changed on the XF (Almost sure it has not) but the 6 speed in the S Type has a plastic pan that is integrated with the filter. Also I don't know if you understand how the transmission fluid level is checked in these cars? It's a bit painful as the car has to be level and running plus the fluid has to be at the proper temperature. As you said trying to do this on jack stands is VERY difficult!

This is one task I DID go to the dealer for and I took my own stuff in as well.

If you want to go this way I used these guys for parts. Klause is an expert on ZF transmissions and can handle anything! They have kits for oil changes that include the sealing sleeve so take a look.
Genuine ZF Parts

Finally we have enough knowledge to know you DON'T have to use the magic ZF fluid. Just use Mercon SP that you can get anywhere. We have many people on the S Type list that have used this for years. My fluid change was so long ago we were still arguing about which fluids to use so I went with the ZF fluid at that time. Now I would use Mercon SP.

The following users liked this post:
Joeaksa (12-30-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Again sorry for the massive failure and I don't have any help as I have been on Jaguar forums for over 10 years now and have never heard of your problem EVER!

But just a comment on the transmission?
The sealing sleeve is well known and almost 100% guaranteed to happen. It's not expensive as you found out BUT the kicker is you can't change it without dropping the pan. So this is a great time to service the transmission.

Not sure if it changed on the XF (Almost sure it has not) but the 6 speed in the S Type has a plastic pan that is integrated with the filter. Also I don't know if you understand how the transmission fluid level is checked in these cars? It's a bit painful as the car has to be level and running plus the fluid has to be at the proper temperature. As you said trying to do this on jack stands is VERY

This is one task I DID go to the dealer for and I took my own stuff in as well.

If you want to go this way I used these guys for parts. Klause is an expert on ZF transmissions and can handle anything! They have kits for oil changes that include the sealing sleeve so take a look.
Genuine ZF Parts

Finally we have enough knowledge to know you DON'T have to use the magic ZF fluid. Just use Mercon SP that you can get anywhere. We have many people on the S Type list that have used this for years. My fluid change was so long ago we were still arguing about which fluids to use so I went with the ZF fluid at that time. Now I would use Mercon SP.
Thanks. re the trans, I will get everything online and have it done by a good mechanic down the street that I trust. Seems like a simple job for a good mechanic with the car on a hoist.
As for my electrical problem, please put me in the Jaguar Forum hall of fame.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

JD,

One thing I have learned in 40 years of Jag ownership, you may not need it right now or next month, but the extended AAA service plan sure is a good thing to have in your back pocket.

100 miles free towing will get you to most repair shops and its free.

Really sorry that its taken you through this journey to get the car back but sure has opened my eyes to letting anyone program the key fob other than the dealer! I just traded my 2010 in on a 2013 and it came with only one keyfob...

Old 02-03-2019, 08:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Wake it up

I have a 2010 XF that sometimes won't start although I know the car battery and the smartkey battery are good. This is my 9th Jaguar and I have learned that they all have quirks. This one seems to go to sleep if left undriven for more that a week or so, and sometimes just after a long drive. So when it tells me it can't find the smartkey, or to depress the brake when I already am, I know that it needs to be awakened. To do that I open and close the driver door a few times, press the window buttons and the power seat buttons back and forth, punch a few other buttons and then try the start button again. So far - success all but one time and that time inserting the key in the slot worked. Might not work for you but no harm done and no cost.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartkey problem 2009 xf help please

I simply changed battery for smartkey but upon reassembly i got the check smart key or key not found.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Default 2008 Jaguar XF 5 Button Key

Originally Posted by BritCars
Can you get the ignition to come on (ie press start button with key inside the car and without your foot on brake)?

Check smartkey battery - occasionally new button cells are dead on arrival. Also did you definitely fit the right size - CR2032? And is it the right way up?? I've made that mistake before...

Also bend the contacts on the circuit board and the edge battery contact to ensure they are connecting to the battery ok
Originally Posted by jakesdad
Folks, a couple days ago when starting my wifes XF, the car cranked weakly as if battery was dead, but I attributed it to me prematurely lifting my foot off the brake while pushing the start button, because I immediately retried the start with more attention paid to the brake pedal and it cranked fine and started.

Today, 2 days later, my wife arrives home from work in the car with no reported issues. I got in it to go to the gas station and very weak crank and no start. I determine it must be the battery, so I pulled the known good battery out of the s type in my garage and swapped it into the XF. Still nothing, even though I know the battery is good...but NOW IM GETTING MESSAGE SMART KEY NOT FOUND. So...reading the manual I decide to dock the smart key fob into the docking port but it refuses to accept the smart key with message "CHECK SMART KEY"...... I then replace the battery in the smart keyfob to make sure it is not a dead battery there. No difference. The radio comes on, interior lights are on but the headlights will not light up on demand, and the smart keyfob is apparently doing nothing..it wont lock or unlock car, or turn on the lights. Now I'm panicking

We just bought this used car a few months ago and only received one smart keyfob that has been working fine until this episode.

What has happened? I read on another thread that if the smart key docking port refuses to accept the smart key with message "check smart key" it indicates the keyfob is not for that car...but how have i been driving it for the past 3 months if that was the case?

Help please.......
I have same problems with my Jaguar from last 3 month. However I can drive my Jag when I use my key in docking.

I need help on this same please advise.

1. If I can buy used KVM with 2 keys from car scrape dealer and I replaced my kvm with another KVM than it would be work ,,?

please help me and advice me on the same.

Regards

Old 10-30-2019, 08:31 AM

on the 2013 Jag 2.2 diesel this also happened (the smart key just have no more communication...) there is just nothing - but the lights go on ?
Battery was also replaced as in cases read above, self-adaptions were done and thereafter everything was fine, only thing was that it did not lock - after this, no more key use ... not on any of the two ??

Old 05-30-2020, 10:04 PM
Default Keyless system not working. KVM not working

I have same problem, key works in dock but not working as key less. I think I blowup kvm.

need help.

Originally Posted by Mehul Bhatt
I have same problems with my Jaguar from last 3 month. However I can drive my Jag when I use my key in docking.

I need help on this same please advise.

1. If I can buy used KVM with 2 keys from car scrape dealer and I replaced my kvm with another KVM than it would be work ,,?

please help me and advice me on the same.

Regards

Old 05-30-2020, 10:11 PM
Default KVM

Nop both key not working. Both keys sending frequency but because of KVM it’s not opening opening. I have to open manually with blade and than just dock my key.
Originally Posted by Noellene
on the 2013 Jag 2.2 diesel this also happened (the smart key just have no more communication...) there is just nothing - but the lights go on ?
Battery was also replaced as in cases read above, self-adaptions were done and thereafter everything was fine, only thing was that it did not lock - after this, no more key use ... not on any of the two ??

Old 06-01-2020, 01:35 PM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

I recently purchased a used 2007 XKR that came with a 'damaged key FOB' and a 'replacement'. I just had to take it to a dealer to program. Easy enough, or so I thought. I first tried calling around my town, and only one shop was willing to try the programming, but he was unable to successfully communicate with it. So, I make the 300-mile trip to my friendly Jaguar dealership. Upon my discussion with the service consultant, I discovered that the damaged key FOB I have was not original to the car, and my replacement was an aftermarket FOB, which may or may not take a program. Regardless, they would need 2 genuine Jaguar FOBs in order to program it. Of course, they only had one in stock, so we order a second and I reschedule. Second trip and another long day, after trying to program the new FOBs for 4 hours, I was informed that there was some sort of problem with the programming. As new programming renders old FOBs (not also being reprogrammed) useless, and my only 'working' FOB was damaged, it was possible that I'd be stranded with no way to start the car. I'd need to leave the car with them for a week or two. They couldn't offer a loaner, as I live out of state, so I opted to drive home and enjoy the car for a while this summer while I save a few dollars for the inevitable module replacement. In the meantime, I have a FOB that will start the car when in the dock, but will not operate in any other way. But I tend to think I have a similar problem to the ones experienced here.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:52 AM

Ok did you check to see if you plugged everything back in rite there is a little funie wire on the negative terminal that goes from one side of the terminal to the next side of it that you have to take off in order to remove battery I'm having same problems as u and I can't find it after I took it off also there are plugs that go under the aux battery they are very easy to unplug when taking out battery and I believe they go to bcm so if one of those were left out I belive that would stop communication to key fob

Old 03-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

The BCM has nothing to do with the KVM. They are separate systems.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:08 PM

The BCM has nothing to do with the KVM. They are separate systems.
This thread is pretty old. I originally posted it in 2018. a little follow up though.......I started seeing "low battery" message on screen at engine start so due to the calamity that ensued in 2018 when I changed the battery, I took it to a dealer for a routine health check, and told them to change the battery while I was there. In conversation with the service guy there, I was finally given some honest feedback about the 2009 XF and some of it's idiosyncrosy.....I complained about the dumb engineering decision to design a glove box that can ONLY be opened with a touch sensor, and that sensor is on the same fuse as cig lighter in the trunk. If the fuse blows you can not, repeat can not open the glove box to pull out your registration for the nice police officer. Stupid. I complained about no temp gauge, just an idiot light. He told me Jaguar received so many negative responses on that decision that temp gauges are standard on newer cars, including the 2021 loaner car I was given to drive. As for the battery changing deal that i encountered, he FINALLY told me that on that car it is imperative to put the car's computer system on life support via a standalone computer outside the car while the battery is disconnected and changed out. If you do not do this, you will lose keyfob communication every time and frequently blow various modules as well. That is obviously what happened to me in 2018. So, unlike any car I have ever owned, I can not change the battery myself. But the car is a beauty

Old 03-18-2021, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I read all your expensive problems but they have never been reported again? We should have forums full of modules damaged by disconnecting batteries but we don't?
I have disconnected the battery on my XJ many times. Mainly for repairs and upgraded with no problems at all. So I guess I am not sure.

Just a note on temperature gauges we have had a number of posts about they are not really gauges and do not move much if at all. All the car manufacturers have dumbed them down because customers don't like seeing the needle move. It's so bad we have had people that over heated their engines claiming the gauge did not move until it was too late! At best it is only a slow moving indicator and hardly better than an idiot light.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:36 PM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I changed the battery on my 2012 XF without a maintainer on the system. I actually swapped the battery it came with, an H9 AGM type, for Jaguar full flood battery from my Vanden Plas. I had both batteries on the floor for 4 months on C-Tek battery maintainers. Put the batteries in both cars 10 days ago. Both cars started first push of the starter. I had to recalibrate the parking brake on both cars, and set the power windows. No muss no fuss no bother.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

I've had the battery out of my 2010 XF at least 10 times. Once for several days while I sourced a replacement. Never had any issues. Quick reset of window stop limits and that's about it

Have seen a small number of people who had issues with key modules when batteries were disconnected. But it seems to be incredibly rare.

Old 03-19-2021, 06:44 PM

Yes I read all your expensive problems but they have never been reported again? We should have forums full of modules damaged by disconnecting batteries but we don't?
I have disconnected the battery on my XJ many times. Mainly for repairs and upgraded with no problems at all. So I guess I am not sure.

Just a note on temperature gauges we have had a number of posts about they are not really gauges and do not move much if at all. All the car manufacturers have dumbed them down because customers don't like seeing the needle move. It's so bad we have had people that over heated their engines claiming the gauge did not move until it was too late! At best it is only a slow moving indicator and hardly better than an idiot light.
All I can say is it happened to me. I've been maintaining cars and boats for 50 years and never had a problem like this. There must be at least some truth in what the Jaguar dealer told me. In fact, two associates overhearing the conversation chimed in that they have had customers experience the same issue I had when disconnecting the battery. I will never touch this car's battery again. Let the dealer do it so that if something happens, it's on their watch.

Old 03-19-2021, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
I've had the battery out of my 2010 XF at least 10 times. Once for several days while I sourced a replacement. Never had any issues. Quick reset of window stop limits and that's about it

Have seen a small number of people who had issues with key modules when batteries were disconnected. But it seems to be incredibly rare.
Lucky me