XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2009 XF smart key problem..help please

Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dare View Post
Really sorry to hear about the problems you've encountered. Unfortunately what lotusespritse said in terms of the repair bills is very accurate. I had my first year with no issues, but after that what's been done so far:
Rear view camera ($500 new, but I managed to fix the old one), rear tail light ($300), new windscreen to fix a leak ($800), new egr valves ($400, and I replaced them myself, took two days and saved almost a grand in service), fixing a leaking diff ($300), rear bushings ($400), fixing a leak in the boot ($200).
The car is now ab. 10 years old and this is the way it goes. It's just something that's good to keep in mind, albeit a really sh**ty situation. I still love the car, though, but it's expensive to keep on the road.
Edit: and all the "easy" stuff like brakes I also fix myself. Saved probably almost another grand there last fall.
thanks for feedback. As ive previously stated, i am a diy guy for rhe most part and that is why i think most of us utilize this and other forums. I am not unfamiliar with jaguars, this being our 5th jag. I just have to say that we love the aesthetics of this xf, but this particular event has been the most frustrating and costly of any repairs ive ever done on a jag, going back to the late 80's when jag reputation was really terrible.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 485 Posts

Again sorry for the massive failure and I don't have any help as I have been on Jaguar forums for over 10 years now and have never heard of your problem EVER!

But just a comment on the transmission?
The sealing sleeve is well known and almost 100% guaranteed to happen. It's not expensive as you found out BUT the kicker is you can't change it without dropping the pan. So this is a great time to service the transmission.

Not sure if it changed on the XF (Almost sure it has not) but the 6 speed in the S Type has a plastic pan that is integrated with the filter. Also I don't know if you understand how the transmission fluid level is checked in these cars? It's a bit painful as the car has to be level and running plus the fluid has to be at the proper temperature. As you said trying to do this on jack stands is VERY difficult!

This is one task I DID go to the dealer for and I took my own stuff in as well.

If you want to go this way I used these guys for parts. Klause is an expert on ZF transmissions and can handle anything! They have kits for oil changes that include the sealing sleeve so take a look.
Genuine ZF Parts

Finally we have enough knowledge to know you DON'T have to use the magic ZF fluid. Just use Mercon SP that you can get anywhere. We have many people on the S Type list that have used this for years. My fluid change was so long ago we were still arguing about which fluids to use so I went with the ZF fluid at that time. Now I would use Mercon SP.

The following users liked this post:
Joeaksa (12-30-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1 View Post
Again sorry for the massive failure and I don't have any help as I have been on Jaguar forums for over 10 years now and have never heard of your problem EVER!

But just a comment on the transmission?
The sealing sleeve is well known and almost 100% guaranteed to happen. It's not expensive as you found out BUT the kicker is you can't change it without dropping the pan. So this is a great time to service the transmission.

Not sure if it changed on the XF (Almost sure it has not) but the 6 speed in the S Type has a plastic pan that is integrated with the filter. Also I don't know if you understand how the transmission fluid level is checked in these cars? It's a bit painful as the car has to be level and running plus the fluid has to be at the proper temperature. As you said trying to do this on jack stands is VERY

This is one task I DID go to the dealer for and I took my own stuff in as well.

If you want to go this way I used these guys for parts. Klause is an expert on ZF transmissions and can handle anything! They have kits for oil changes that include the sealing sleeve so take a look.
Genuine ZF Parts

Finally we have enough knowledge to know you DON'T have to use the magic ZF fluid. Just use Mercon SP that you can get anywhere. We have many people on the S Type list that have used this for years. My fluid change was so long ago we were still arguing about which fluids to use so I went with the ZF fluid at that time. Now I would use Mercon SP.
Thanks. re the trans, I will get everything online and have it done by a good mechanic down the street that I trust. Seems like a simple job for a good mechanic with the car on a hoist.
As for my electrical problem, please put me in the Jaguar Forum hall of fame.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

JD,

One thing I have learned in 40 years of Jag ownership, you may not need it right now or next month, but the extended AAA service plan sure is a good thing to have in your back pocket.

100 miles free towing will get you to most repair shops and its free.

Really sorry that its taken you through this journey to get the car back but sure has opened my eyes to letting anyone program the key fob other than the dealer! I just traded my 2010 in on a 2013 and it came with only one keyfob...

Old 02-03-2019, 08:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Wake it up

I have a 2010 XF that sometimes won't start although I know the car battery and the smartkey battery are good. This is my 9th Jaguar and I have learned that they all have quirks. This one seems to go to sleep if left undriven for more that a week or so, and sometimes just after a long drive. So when it tells me it can't find the smartkey, or to depress the brake when I already am, I know that it needs to be awakened. To do that I open and close the driver door a few times, press the window buttons and the power seat buttons back and forth, punch a few other buttons and then try the start button again. So far - success all but one time and that time inserting the key in the slot worked. Might not work for you but no harm done and no cost.